What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Locks

cderk

Well Known Member
All -

Aside from aircraft spruce, has anyone else found a good source for
door/baggage compartment locks? I just got off the phone with ACS because I wanted (3) locks. One for the baggage compartment and (2) for the doors. They told me that it takes 6 weeks to get them.

I see them offered on other sites, I'm just worried about sizes and making sure it works properly.

Thanks
Charlie

I picked up my baggage door lock from my local Camping World. Any RV (recreational vehicle) would have them. Mine is made by Sherwood.

locks

I got mine online at a lock shop, and yes, they are just cabinet locks. I also got a set from ACS. It was a NIGHTMARE trying to get three locks keyed the same (and expensive). Comparing the ACS locks with the ones from the lock shop, the only real difference was the key. The ACS key was a double cut key, the cadet lock, single cut. The ACS locks came with only two keys; the cabinet locks came with 2 keys for each lock (6 total).

The other consideration was that the bezel on the ACS locks is slightly different from the cabinet locks. This came into play when using the Aerosport Low Profile Handle. The trim ring is machined for the ACS locks and I needed to "massage" the trim to achieve a nice fit...

A nice thing about the locks I bought is that they have a weather cover in the key slot. When you remove the key, the hole is blocked by an internal "door" preventing water or dirt from entering the lock. The ACS does not have that feature.

That's what I used, got two for the doors and one for the baggage, all keyed the same.

One consideration. I do not install locks on the doors, just the baggage compartment. My thought is that if someone wants to steal the avionics, he will do it one way or another. A door lock might translate to a broken door and a lot of work. The avionics will be gone anyway - and covered by insurance.

If parked on the ramp the canopy cover is on it so the ?people just looking? aspect is not there.

Carl

One consideration. I do not install locks on the doors, just the baggage compartment. My thought is that if someone wants to steal the avionics, he will do it one way or another. A door lock might translate to a broken door and a lot of work. The avionics will be gone anyway - and covered by insurance.

If parked on the ramp the canopy cover is on it so the ?people just looking? aspect is not there.

Carl

To each their own I suppose. If I follow this thought process, I'd never lock my car or my house...

I installed door locks because they make me feel better. Someone might open a door to grab a headset, but they might not hammer out the window to get it. On top of that the low profile door handles I bought from Aerosport have a nice place for a door lock.

Mark - I had the same question and wound up ordering the wrong size. Here is what i ultimately ordered and they fit perfectly... 5/8"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XM57FQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In looking at the reviews of the locks at the above URL, several buyers complain that you can only remove the key when in the locked position. I don't see this working on the RV-10 doors, as you can't lock/unlock the doors from the inside. So if you unlock them to get in, how are you going to get the key out before flight?

While I like the idea of the higher security keys, I think I'll stick with the locks that came with my starter switch.

Carl

Have you confirmed that your insurance company will cover avionics in an aircraft that does not have any means of locking the doors?

Have you confirmed that your insurance company will cover avionics in an aircraft that does not have any means of locking the doors?

I am sad to post this. But in this day and age, my concern is with some moronic kid getting into the plane, hot wiring it, then killing himself and probably an equally clueless friend. Then, his parents will sue me, claiming I left an attractive nuicense (sp?) unguarded. This happens all the time with swimming pools. If I can point to a forced lock, at least I can claim I was proactive.

In looking at the reviews of the locks at the above URL, several buyers complain that you can only remove the key when in the locked position. I don't see this working on the RV-10 doors, as you can't lock/unlock the doors from the inside. So if you unlock them to get in, how are you going to get the key out before flight?

While I like the idea of the higher security keys, I think I'll stick with the locks that came with my starter switch.

I also got the starter switch "package" all keyed the same. Basically, I'll have two keys on my keychain (fuel cap key and key for everything else). I intend on having the passenger side door lock from the inside (or not) when on the ground, parked.

These are definitely not the perfect solution for everyone. But, on my personal RV-10 I wanted to design a locking handle that I could retrofit easily to my painted airplane without having to cut into the fiberglass.

This is what we came up with. It is not as sleek as the Aerosport flush handles, but it is CNC machined, powder coated, silkscreened and looks a LOT nicer than the stock handles and is able to be retrofit in about an hour to the aircraft.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv10 door locks.html

I know everyone has their own personal opinion on locking/not locking the aircraft. Personally, if the aircraft is somewhere overnight, I lock it as well as utilize a canopy cover. But these prevent someone from easily opening a door and walking away with something.

Steve

I read the same thing so I still looking

Any updates to what works besides ACS

Has anyone found locks that will work with the aerosport handles besides ACS?

Lock

The lock tab should block the pin from coming out of the slot so the the handle can not turn. It took some bending and relieving of the tab to work properly. On another note, I only installed the lock on the pilot side. I was afraid of having a lock on the co pilot side and forgetting to unlock prior to flight. Then I would not be able to open the right door from inside in a ditching emergency. I was going to make up some sort of gadget that can slip over the right handle inside that would block it from turning on the outside for security purpose. Haven't gotten around to it though, having too much fun flying.

The lock tab should block the pin from coming out of the slot so the the handle can not turn. It took some bending and relieving of the tab to work properly.

Yes, you're correct. On my installation, there is too much play in the whole setup and its pretty easy to have the door locked, pull a little harder than normal (but not unreasonably hard) and be able to pull the pin out and rotate the handle.

Aircraft Specialty

I installed the locks from Aircraft Specialty, they are easy to install and work well. My 10 had the original VAN's handles.

Gary

I bought keyed alike locks from Amazon Aircraft Supply Company, Inc., LLC. and they worked well. I did have to grind a bit of clearance on the tab and bend it a few times but it works. If you had to or forced too hard, you could break in, but at that point I'd rather have someone bend my lock tab than crack or pry a window/door.

I bought keyed alike locks from Amazon Aircraft Supply Company, Inc., LLC. and they worked well. I did have to grind a bit of clearance on the tab and bend it a few times but it works. If you had to or forced too hard, you could break in, but at that point I'd rather have someone bend my lock tab than crack or pry a window/door.

Which ones on amazon? There are so many. Aerosport recommends 3/4 inch, but freq I find 5/8 or 7/8. What size is everyone using?

. I was going to make up some sort of gadget that can slip over the right handle inside that would block it from turning on the outside for security purpose. Haven't gotten around to it though, having too much fun flying.

Cut an ?L? shaped piece of wood, with one arm about 1? long and 1/2? wide, thickness TBD. Slide this arm into the inside handle from the front, wooden arm outboard. Adjust (sand) the arm?s thickness so there?s a snug fit against the release lever. With this lever pinned you cannot push the release button in, not inside nor outside. Paint the other end of the ?L? red, attach a red banner, etc.

Others have accomplished the same thing by drilling a vertical hole just outboard of the release lever, and inserting a steel pin.

Goofy as it may sound...

my plan is to rig a way to pin one door shut (described 2 posts above) and rope the other one shut such that the door is freed from its restraint by reaching in through the baggage door, which is locked with a Home Aviation Depot LLC cabinet keylock.

Don't ask me how I plan to execute this, because I haven't scoped it out yet and it's way down on my list. Allen Nimmo will likely solve this problem before I can.

Put me solidly in the camp of I'd rather they not break my plexi and doors to get the insured avionics I can't stop them from taking anyway.

my plan is to rig a way to pin one door shut (described 2 posts above) and rope the other one shut such that the door is freed from its restraint by reaching in through the baggage door, which is locked with a Home Aviation Depot LLC cabinet keylock.

Don't ask me how I plan to execute this, because I haven't scoped it out yet and it's way down on my list. Allen Nimmo will likely solve this problem before I can.

Put me solidly in the camp of I'd rather they not break my plexi and doors to get the insured avionics I can't stop them from taking anyway.

Bill - I just now noticed what you did with your tail number... very clever. I love it!

Back