What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield question

ppowers

Starting to fit my windshield on my 6 slider. Not clear on where exactly to make the cut in the boot cowl on the side where it splits and one part goes outside the glass. Any help?

Im not sure I understand where you are talking about or if the 9 tip up windshield is the same. If they are, I can email you a picture of how I did mine. I messed up my front aluminum on the tip up so I had to cut the windshield off and re-do it. I took some pictures that may help. Email me if you want them.

Good luck.

No, it's not clear from the manual. Assuming the RV-9(A) canopy is similar to the RV-6, I set the windshield down on the forward fuselage skin and found the moulded shape of the bubble sat quite well on the skin. So I cut this off and laid the windshield on the fuselage again. I was quite cautious about my cut line so I ended up cutting a couple of more strips about 1/4" to 3/8" wide. I also did a cut behind the roll bar as this was not even all the way around from the windshield/slider "big cut". I did a preliminary trim on the windshield sides but I'm going to leave the final trim till later to see how it fairs with the sliding part of the canopy and with the fuselage skin at the point where the fiberglass strip is bonded across the top.

Back