What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quality Issue With Left RV7 Wing Tip

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Hello crew. I am curious if another RV7 builder has noticed a quality issue with the left wing tip trailing edge? I received my wing kit a couple weeks ago and my left tip trailing edge is not fully molded. The shape is there, but it does not seemed to be fully developed and has various gouges and voids. I am just curious if anyone else has seen this issue?

(I don't have my pictures stored online to upload here...my apologies.)

Fiberglass parts are easily fixed and it is not at all uncommon for the fiberglass parts to need some fixing before final fitting and painting. I know that on my RV-10 wingtips, I had to split the trailing edge on both tips in order to get it lined up straight with the ailerons and flaps. One side was also about 1/2" too long on the trailing edge. You may find some pillowing or dips in the skins of the tips after you get them fitted so fix those also. You don't want them acting as a trim tab.

I have the older wingtips, white. I think the new ones are gray. I found surprisingly few issues with them. The trailing edge does need some work, more than the leading edge.

OK, just checking. All other fiberglass tips received, (empennage/wings) were beautiful out of the box, so when I saw the left wing tip I was a little struck.

Thank you.

The guy who owned my 6 had installed a new wingtip and it was way off from the aileron it needed to be split too. It freaked me out a bit to have to do that being new to RVs but apparently it?s pretty common and the builder had had to do it on the original when it was built.

New owners A&P when replacing the tip had no idea and just installed it out of the box. It amazes me the things I see A&Ps miss on RVs that a good RV builder will pick up in seconds.

Back