What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 manual aileron trim

gafitts

Has anyone had good luck with Vans manual aileron trim for the 8. Seen a lot of interior pictures none with the manual trim???

I built in the manual trim on my RV-8... so I will also be interested in feedback. Thanks for starting this thread.

Has anyone had good luck with Vans manual aileron trim for the 8. Seen a lot of interior pictures none with the manual trim???

Ya I have it installed in my 8. It works fine, just slide the lever on the sidewall to balance out your fuel load. With the 8 it's always fuel load you are leveling since the rest of the plane should be balanced side to side. Of course you can also just burn from the heavy wing if you like to balance it too!

Here's a picture of the under seat portion of the install.

Aileron trim by Andy Karmy, on Flickr

My two cents

During build I decided I didn?t like the feel of the lever and cable arrangement. Before closing up I swapped for a Ray Allen servo and center off toggle switch.

Fitted on ours but wouldn't do it again - far too fiddly to install compared to an electric system.

I have the manual trim. I like it, like someone else said it is really only good for countering fuel imbalance. On a properly rigged airplane with ballanced fuel you don?t need it. It is not an elegant system, but it is simple and effective. Plus keeps my electrical system simple as well.

I like it!

I have the manual aileron trim in my RV-8 and I like it. It is simple and has worked perfectly for more than 1700 hours. I would do it again.

Dan Miller
RV-8
Battle Ground, WA

Manual

I have manual trim...works great. Only need to tweak it for fuel burn, not much movement really. Would use it again.

Ya I have it installed in my 8. It works fine, just slide the lever on the sidewall to balance out your fuel load. With the 8 it's always fuel load you are leveling since the rest of the plane should be balanced side to side. Of course you can also just burn from the heavy wing if you like to balance it too!

Here's a picture of the under seat portion of the install.

Aileron trim by Andy Karmy, on Flickr

Thanks for the picture. I bought mine with manual trim but the springs are disconnected. I'm about to remove the seat to reconnect them and was looking for a picture to figure out what kind of a job it was going to be. Looks simple enough for me to do.

Wow, a literally 10 second job (hook up both springs to the center tube) that took 1/2 hour to remove all the screws then another 1/2 to reinstall all of them !

When I was looking to by an 8 (wanted to fly not build) I tried both, manual trims all round and a 'coolly hat' elect system, no contest, seeing as my daily ride is automated I didn't want to make my brain work any harder, must be getting lazy in my old age:D

Back