What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traveling Woes

Floresb18

So late last year i had an ongoing conversation with my wife regarding which plane I was going to build and she kept saying it doesn't matter because she wasn't going to be hopping in one with me anyway. We have 2 sons that are 20 months old and it was likely that if mom wasn't flying with me the boys weren't either until they got somewhere near double digits in age. We would just have to see about that, so i figured the RV12iS fit the bill for the next 8-10 years or so. Well low and behold we spent a total of 21 hours in the car over the past 4 days visiting my family in New Orleans and on the way back, the wife looks over at me and asks, "so how many seats does the plane your building have?" to which i responded "2" and then the BIGGGGGG Question..... "Well can you build a bigger one, I cant do this drive again?" Y'all, I about lost my jaw when it fell off doing 70mph on I-20! "WELL HEHAW H**L YEAH I CAN!" I had just ordered the RV12 Fuselage a couple weeks ago, a call to Vans this morning to cancel the order and sent in the RV10 order! See y'all soon, building a 10 this time. :D:D

Wow... now there's a bit of an adjustment in project scope and budget.

You do know you'll be halfway through the RV-10 and have more kids, right? :)

Smart lady after 25 years of flying in the Bonanza my partner is ready for the 10. Our son grew up in the back seat of the Bonanza. Kids will love it. Welcome to the Rv-10 crowd. The build is part of it get her involved tell her you do not understand what they mean in the instructions gets her involved.

And THAT is how that happens.....

Had a similar convo with the spousal unit about twenty years ago when I started building the -6. "Audrey can fly in it when she's 18." She was about three at the time....

Fast forward a few years - plane now flying...."Will you take this kid out to the airport please?" Audrey was nowhere near 18.

:)

Congrats, Brandon! Nice to meet someone that lives up the road from me.

There’s a lot of people who have traveled that same path. I know of multiple people who brought their wife to the airport to show her the -14 thinking that’s what they wanted...... and they did.........until their wife saw and sat in the -10.

The -10 has killed several two place orders - including my own 11 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments! I have fought that internal battle of buying certified but I really enjoy the building process. I went through a depression when I had to wait a couple months to order the fuselage for the 12, but that all worked out for a darn good reason. I think had I received the fuselage for the 12 I would have just built it and stuck with the plan.

Doug, I?m always plane gazing at 52f but have yet to catch your bird out there, one day. Now I need to find someone with a 10 or any vans (never been in one! Is that weird?) I can conjure into letting me ride shotgun!

Thanks all for the comments! I have fought that internal battle of buying certified but I really enjoy the building process. I went through a depression when I had to wait a couple months to order the fuselage for the 12, but that all worked out for a darn good reason. I think had I received the fuselage for the 12 I would have just built it and stuck with the plan.

Doug, I?m always plane gazing at 52f but have yet to catch your bird out there, one day. Now I need to find someone with a 10 or any vans (never been in one! Is that weird?) I can conjure into letting me ride shotgun!

I have a -10 at 52F, email or PM me.

TJ

My kids have practically grown up in our RV-10. It's a great family airplane.

IMG_6262-XL.jpg

Guy

Yesterday the weather here broke enough so I Brandon and I could get together at 52F to fly to Bridgeport for a gas run. I should have taken a picture of the RV grin - he loves the -10 and can't wait for his first kit to arrive.

He did some stalls and did a T&G at Bridgeport. He loved how it handles and flies -esepecially compared to the C-172s he has flown. He did great flying it and was surprised how docile the RV-10 is given the performance.

Brandon, glad you liked the flight and look forward to seeing your build progress!

TJ

THANK YOU TJ

Wow the people on this forum never cease to amaze me. As of last week I had never flown in an RV much less a -10 and now I can say with an RV grin on my face a big thanks to you TJ for taking me up and even letting me fly a bit and making my horrible attempt at a landing. I couldn't believe how quickly the -10 accelerated and how quickly we were up at altitude, what an impressive piece of machinery! My empennage will be here mid next week, and I cannot wait to get started!

Thanks Again TJ, I am eternally grateful! Look forward to keeping you and the Vans community updated on the build. New builders website to come soon in my signature.

Last edited:
Back