What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Alignment

Drippy

Well Known Member
Guys
I am attempting to mount my IO540 C4B5 but the angle of the engine mounts brackets (on engine) doesn't match the angle of the engine mount. l

I am trying to follow the instructions published on vansairforce but am finding a few differences both of my lord mounts are identical rubber washers as called out in the RV10 instructions. All of that seems minor though- big deal is I have the 4 mounts in but the washers are mooning on the engine mounts.

Any suggestions??

Mounting engine

Don't give up. It can be very frustrating. Some folks use 'bullets' to help guide the bolts into the rubber / and engine tangs. You can make some by grinding down some bolts the size of the engine mounting bolts. Grind the threads off and shape the end like a rounded off bullet. With the engine as close as you can get it to the mount, drive the bullets into the mount rubbers with the engine mount bolts. The bolts will follow the bullets into the correct path.

Making minor up/down changes in the engine can help.

Don't give up. We've all been there!

My guess is that you have the original C4B5 engine mount ears, which are the big hole, and a different angle than the small hole mounts needed for the -10 mount. What is the diameter of the hole in the engine mount ears?

Last edited:
Mount ID

That was it! I had the original large ID mounts.

Don George is hooking me up and sending me a new set.

lord mounts /barry mount numbers

I have the small ears on my 540, what is the number of the rubber mounts?

Thanks ,
Dennis

Lord Mounts for RV10

I spent some time on this emailing Lord. They told me the correct Lord mounting kit is J-3804-28. They are more than $250 each and you need 4. The drawing says a J-3804-27 can be used with a .070" shim washer. They emailed the detailed drawings if you want them.

But

The J3804-20 mounts are the ones my plans call for and they are $125 each at Van's. I talked to Lord about the difference between the -20 and the -28 and they said either will work, the -28 provides a bit more damping on shutdown. They were also surprised that vendors were charging 250 each for them...

I just looked at my lord isolators, and the lower ones are well under there min. limit and need to be replaced after just 600 hours.

Back