What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extremely stupid 6-A wing install question

NYTOM

Well Known Member
I may be having a brain fart, going mad or probably just being stupid but I can't seem to find a location of a figure. Working on section 8 page 8-20 and reviewing instructions for wing / fuselage assembly. Installing wings tomorrow and in the instructions while explaining alignment of wings tells to check measurements in a manner similar to that shown in Fig. 8-10. Where in the world can I find that figure. All I can find is the actual plans or in the instructions the different drawings which are marked as sketch's SK-50, SK-51 etc. but no where are any drawings marked as a Fig.8-10. Where aren't I looking? :eek:

Tom, the wing attach instruction in my 1999 RV-6 manual are on page 8-22. I see the referral to fig 8-10 and in my manual it is on the same page as figs 8-8 through 8-11. Fig 8-10 is sorta out of order at the top right corner of the page and refers to the method used to align the horiz stab with the fuse. You use the same method for eliminating wing sweep--establish a point near the rear of the fuse on the centerline and make certain each wing tip is the same distance from that point.

Best wishes for a successful wing/fuse mating!

Tom, buy some small head nuts for the AN4 and AN3 bolts.

ms21042.jpg

With the -6A gear mounts getting in the way of a straight shot at a lot of the nuts, the smaller wrenches will help in those tight spaces.

It may even lower the number of bad words needed. :D

Tom, the wing attach instruction in my 1999 RV-6 manual are on page 8-22. I see the referral to fig 8-10 and in my manual it is on the same page as figs 8-8 through 8-11. Fig 8-10 is sorta out of order at the top right corner of the page and refers to the method used to align the horiz stab with the fuse. You use the same method for eliminating wing sweep--establish a point near the rear of the fuse on the centerline and make certain each wing tip is the same distance from that point.

Best wishes for a successful wing/fuse mating!

Started the first wing Sam and it fit like a glove . So far I'm very pleased with the fit. Had the quit for the day. My hangar is 85 degrees and humid as a jungle. Going to go back tonight.
As far as Fig.8-10, I must have lost some pages or looking in the wrong place. I can't find any drawings at all that are labeled as Fig. anything. Are they in the instruction pages or on a full size print. I'm sure I can figure it out without them but I'm afraid I'll miss something I'll pay for later.

Tom, buy some small head nuts for the AN4 and AN3 bolts.

ms21042.jpg

With the -6A gear mounts getting in the way of a straight shot at a lot of the nuts, the smaller wrenches will help in those tight spaces.

It may even lower the number of bad words needed. :D

Gil this is one of the best tips I've gotten. When I read your reply, memories of fitting up the gear years ago came back and I remembered all my cursing.
Nuts ordered. Thanks:)

Tom, where are you building? I am in the Cary area, my plane is based at Raleigh Exec Jetport. My builders documentation shows Fig 8-10.

If you need to look it over, let me know.

Don't forget to draw appropriate lines on the floor and use plumb bobs over the wing leading edge so the wings are square with the fuselage and no forward or rearward sweep?

I will try to send you via email page 8-22 3rd paragraph down where it mentions the plumb lines to square the wings. This is corrected if necessary by removing material from the rear spar spacer as I recall. If necessary call Vans and have a very good picture of what you are doing here Please. :)

Last edited:
Started the first wing Sam and it fit like a glove . So far I'm very pleased with the fit. Had the quit for the day. My hangar is 85 degrees and humid as a jungle. Going to go back tonight.
As far as Fig.8-10, I must have lost some pages or looking in the wrong place. I can't find any drawings at all that are labeled as Fig. anything. Are they in the instruction pages or on a full size print. I'm sure I can figure it out without them but I'm afraid I'll miss something I'll pay for later.

Is part of my build manual:

fig_8-10.jpg

Saved by the site again

Thank you for your help Sam, Gil, Larry & Noel. :)
The light bulb is burning brightly now and I feel confident I'm on the right path.
I appreciate how lucky us RV folks are to have a site like the VAF where expert advice is only a few key strokes away 27/7. ;)
Fly safe gentlemen. :)

Back