What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (March 1, 2016) Garmin aera 660 Portable GPS

I know the answer is buried here somewhere, but.... What are the dimensions of the connector (panel space planning)

Hello Abraham,

The bare wire mount is roughly 3.25" x 2.25", but what you probably really need to know is that the mount does not protrude past the "footprint" of the Aera 660, so if you allocate panel space for the Aera 660, you automatically accommodate the mount.

This picture of the mount attached to the desk stand illustrates that.

36fszIwrlvG1GWsNK10bZoNnwVPhXsdjwMqbj9mqXoDIj6Ah7MZGx5iySyk-rlPv1qsNQWwbuOSxaWBwxx-1dJG40knHJC_yQ5Sdg6a1qLZWiBYyWkb-JfJ9SnW_p_HpC2JIySeb1CKa72mfRBmEJQUD_Ls8PxQDSPENuIjXD73GRr6TzZHehx6TR7oJvkc1xyZ17muWyE3Ew8516Xq_qMrowlQa2DCJi0ww-2CU6bau9-Csd2_SBqhuHFJ3gF7XMvzkzFDjoSzSXB8-aAPNylTj5n-ipZ4rGXG65-YtFY4t9SvaPxEcUZEVz2oWfSTmeCYsdrsngcsuQC8PXOi72EfncPu9FQTEe5MACm-aK7bJ2cFs88mUGkIYJTGnqUAQ-aXVj2hKMhG7Idrssra-49YocVr2NEdcbLPmC64jKrnyUQG_6E61Wm_nQiKpWidoKPP4jKS-xFrtwWVeaFp9CMMA3ZDnw34pcmVcjzRDkudr4JdsDMLv7kndKYIvxLLUqS_hlIsuI5lUqVDhUjX5ZMVSSAclfEzB0Lkq7iDwCSnsA942Igjc8iGCYygNXWuywtWHmHMYQcK84bclnaPG-3ImMsP7YIrip2Fj-KSvZvjGUAjisiPu=w570-h693-no

Thanks,
Steve

Voltage

I'd like to second the request to allow us to see input voltage on a hard wired 660. I used this often on the 496.

Chris

I'd like to second the request to allow us to see input voltage on a hard wired 660. I used this often on the 496.

Chris

Hello Chris,

Not possible. There is a great deal of circuitry inside the Aera 660 mount to protect the Aera 660 from the sometimes cruel outside world.

The main unit only receives highly regulated/filtered power free of ESD and other transients which might cause harm. It has no idea what voltage is powering it from the outside.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Chris,

Not possible. There is a great deal of circuitry inside the Aera 660 mount to protect the Aera 660 from the sometimes cruel outside world.

The main unit only receives highly regulated/filtered power free of ESD and other transients which might cause harm. It has no idea what voltage is powering it from the outside.

Thanks,
Steve

As a temporary work around, I do know that you can see the voltage information by holding the back button in the main menu for 10 seconds and selecting the diagnostics.

You can select VDC or Battery to see this information.

I too would like to see voltage like the 495/496

Steve,

Can you post a link on how to sign up for the automatic emails from Garmin for "software" updates for our Garmin products? I use to get emails telling me there were updates but I cant figure out where to sign up again. Do you guys hide this? :D

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited:
Connection of GDL 39 3D

Steve,

how can I hard wire the area 660 with the GDL39 3D if I already use Serial 1 for Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out and Serial 2 with NMEA Out 4800 for the wing levler? Please let me know also the product number for the needed GDL39 cable.

Thanks

Regards
gFlyer

Steve,

how can I hard wire the area 660 with the GDL39 3D if I already use Serial 1 for Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out and Serial 2 with NMEA Out 4800 for the wing levler? Please let me know also the product number for the needed GDL39 cable.

Thanks

Regards
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

To use an RS-232 connection to the GDL 39 3D, you will need a dedicated serial port on the Aera 660.

In an ideal situation your wing leveler would accept NMEA data at 9600 baud and could be connected to the output of Serial 1 freeing up Serial 2 to be set to Garmin Data Transfer and connected to the GDL 39 3D as shown on page 152 of the Rev. B Aera 660 Manual. This page also shows the cables needed to connect the GDL 39 3D to the Aera 660.

If one of the serial ports cannot be freed up to be connected to the GDL 39 3D, you will have to use a Bluetooth connection.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello gFlyer,

To use an RS-232 connection to the GDL 39 3D, you will need a dedicated serial port on the Aera 660.

In an ideal situation your wing leveler would accept NMEA data at 9600 baud and could be connected to the output of Serial 1 freeing up Serial 2 to be set to Garmin Data Transfer and connected to the GDL 39 3D as shown on page 152 of the Rev. B Aera 660 Manual. This page also shows the cables needed to connect the GDL 39 3D to the Aera 660.

If one of the serial ports cannot be freed up to be connected to the GDL 39 3D, you will have to use a Bluetooth connection.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve,
should be possible to run the wing levler with 9600 baud. Does the Garmin article number 010-11689-20 include such data cable? If not which one do I need.

Regards
gFlyer

Connecting Area 660 to GDL 39 3D and Autopilot

Thanks Steve,
should be possible to run the wing levler with 9600 baud. Does the Garmin article number 010-11689-20 include such data cable? If not which one do I need.

Regards
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

Good question.

To start off, you will want the Aera 660 bare wire cable mount (010-12373-01) to connect both your wing leveler and your GDL 39 3D. The wing leveler may be connected to either RS-232 serial port 1 or 2. To connect it to port 2, connect it to the ORANGE wire (and black ground) shown in the following diagram. If you are using Aviation In (from a GNS/GTN unit), it will be connected to the PURPLE wire (and black ground).

GtUKaJ87GaarD0sHc5Um3YlMEXADHEg1738z20iAnjULX_WYWPuRoUNe5j2JhfYWGWvz8U5mlcsWWo-vnoXgIBjXBzrD6qlpXrGtua5E5GcniYJoKHGyXGrdVwFU6QilalFXac5Vnm5uxH9ovyfuaTOFsjHrYVVEaSW_oN964VXVSHtc3KWFLiRnL1jfDQw-BJ92uuzdfNV4t_PNUY1amm_H08-0THNwRK1F0Q5Qf6lJqEjM5T9H1Q6i-19CctKxLoUKZGiD2eN-qVzNX5dPjnu_6HHwfj0I_nY_SEjvJKpsTsPI57ooKIbhKBLQqkrYoe-imAQl04_UZMHNYLutjXHbDyT0_wRI7Z0goWc0TWmJCKEsqiCBCrxljnNI-KeMGSxPjxBAt_kkHo-Tcwf0tdnSMK4ZvM_NLKEWWsL3mV-9WeluFRkw-lBANYhdWbHlz7YL1ZnUb1wyaUjlVjVCcqWhA_HXkj9H6QraGkwbKDTV2NMUng0RBLOt2nooO9Oo9W8Pf0OJcmI0wxl7hAtgLQU91wvwczQkGkB5U8j67Mjm_yT3cCyE5niTBVx0a1ScILe2CcYKJYF6eVrxtj64UQTGk3iKvuOT9xv754v2Wpz0s1V_I0lA=w1043-h299-no

The 010-11689-20 GDL 39 3D does not come with the GDL 39 bare wire cable (010-11686-40), but that may be ordered separately.

Thanks,
Steve

Can the Aera 660 obtain GPS position from the GDL-39 (or vice a versa the GDL obtain GPS position from the Aera 660) via either hardwire or Bluetooth interface?

Thanks.

Jim

Can the Aera 660 obtain GPS position from the GDL-39 (or vice a versa the GDL obtain GPS position from the Aera 660) via either hardwire or Bluetooth interface?

Thanks.

Jim

Hello Jim,

The Aera 660 is the WAAS GPS navigator, and it provides GPS data over either hardwire or Bluetooth to the GDL 39.

Neither the GDL 39, GDL 39 3D, or GDL 39R need to have GPS reception when connected to a Garmin portable or G3X system since they will receive GPS data from these navigators.

Fp-qwGGyt47RRqiZCygXo8HCB7jBYjUcfe8OWR0YUG_mMGnLOppXA8JF6TULV2a5CzIHzfQCoKkkk_so6U4oYnVMrQcnSkkqbSfoeAHrpSkvcngBy5TArnp9BH8q0gBG19IZLH9iuZgM7T7r_-lXVfqhJ-gTMUZm9tl20cpJzHPNCdr6BhZBkc20kkyoUyl6Lm37Gh_W8iMe2cin871eJS3a_lcYaV1P-LUxI4JqW3LDJ3C8ecoh5tUqDx-FLE17XYrx0nKIsgvrVUDvjhIJQQsMBz5Q9Ba-8EcTMqBCFYLiABdySViDVGUSAzuso-zuhLviTK5WkIFslZL6ttyjrlYJXeijTkbyelgrgWan6jYWx2mj7GYkniyzw4EwPP32EXSyMX7Ou2o2b2GHFU_YVc46q-wAkhlNixxv3FwRgs9menBFRavWv6IIA3oojTACp580iMakViJ1xuKybgZR9eTJuDO41NBMDnYriFsPcvmR4an7xSOPxQRxLz7HljSgGWHWXiyZaAomNzltbh_nMD7Y-ieLRquLFGKMPap_Y9mFilpy0YpqGBAgYpVNxgh_S6fzZQ_DeiGOo3iCuCQTZZ9ufaW0LHDvrZtn_5Y9pRJIuZ9uzsiH=w737

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Activated my 496 XM weather today!

I activated my 496 XM weather today. I would like to purchase a new 660 but no XM weather available for it! That means no weather on board for those of us flying in Canada. There was talk of XM?!? 796 is Too big in my RV6. Anyone know if Garmin is working in it?

Yes they are working on a Aera 660 SXM weather receiver to be released soon. There was a thread with some "unclassified" screen shots of the XM weather interface on Beech Talk a couple of months ago. This is great news for crop dusters, pipeliners (or other very low altitude operators) and our fantastic neighbors both in the Great White North and South of the Rio Bravo.

Jim

Thanks, Steve. Very clear answer. And now it seems sensible. I will plug the external antenna into to 660. On the subject the 660 has to have the best reception of any other device I have used with respect to the internal antenna. I can flush mount it at the bottom of the panel in a high wing Cessna and it picks up enough satellites to establish 3D navigation inside a metal hangar with the door closed. I actually feel sheepish adding the external antenna.

Jim

Hello Jim,

The Aera 660 is the WAAS GPS navigator, and it provides GPS data over either hardwire or Bluetooth to the GDL 39.

Neither the GDL 39, GDL 39 3D, or GDL 39R need to have GPS reception when connected to a Garmin portable or G3X system since they will receive GPS data from these navigators.

Thanks,
Steve

Great news

Yes they are working on a Aera 660 SXM weather receiver to be released soon. There was a thread with some "unclassified" screen shots of the XM weather interface on Beech Talk a couple of months ago. This is great news for crop dusters, pipeliners (or other very low altitude operators) and our fantastic neighbors both in the Great White North and South of the Rio Bravo.

Jim

Great news ! Thanks for the heads up Jim

Jeremy, et al....

Here is an Aera 660 screen shot in the wild showing the SXM weather interface. The weather receiver is an all new separate box with it's own subscription. The Aera 660 will not be backwards compatible with the legacy GXM 30/40/42 weather antennas as used on the GPSMAPs or Aera 796s.

SXMMusicPortraitBezel.jpg

Jim

Any way to enter custom waypoints by Lat and Long on the 660?

Hello Ross,

Please see page 62 of the Rev. B Aera 660 Pilot Guide. There are several ways to create a user waypoint and you may edit the lat/lon on that waypoint to anything you like.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks. I'll get some time to play with it tonight at home.

I've noticed that even though I charge the battery for over 6 hours (twice now with only minutes of use between charges), it never shows more than about 80% charge when I switch the unit on. Is this normal or is the battery marginal?

Thanks. I'll get some time to play with it tonight at home.

I've noticed that even though I charge the battery for over 6 hours (twice now with only minutes of use between charges), it never shows more than about 80% charge when I switch the unit on. Is this normal or is the battery marginal?

Hello Ross,

Nothing to be concerned about.

Page 3 of the Rev. B manual explains that a new battery will not show full charge until discharged and charged back up.

The battery pack includes a battery fuel gauge IC that needs to "learn" the capacity of this battery and will adjust for the meaning of "full charge" as the battery pack ages.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Tried to download the manual from the Garmin website, dead link: The requested URL /shop/products/pumac/190-02017-20_B.pdf was not found on this server.

Also tried to download new data bases after inputting my coupon #. Said I paid for them but could not download them as described in the 2 YouTube vids Garmin puts out. It shows all 7 I clicked on but there was no download button available as the vids showed.

...tried to download new data bases after inputting my coupon #. Said I paid for them but could not download them as described in the 2 YouTube vids Garmin puts out. It shows all 7 I clicked on but there was no download button available as the vids showed.

I had this problem when I first bought mine. I had to speak with someone at Garmin to get it all sorted out.

Can I use the Aera 660 Bluetooth to link to a Zaon XRX using their Zaon XRX Bluelink Bluetooth Module, to get traffic from Zaon displayed on Aera 660?

GDL 39 3D

Steve,

can detect the GDL 39 3D a transponder with mode A/C and mode S with no ADS-B out?

Thanks

Regards
gFlyer

Can I use the Aera 660 Bluetooth to link to a Zaon XRX using their Zaon XRX Bluelink Bluetooth Module, to get traffic from Zaon displayed on Aera 660?

Hello rjtjrt,

No, there is no support for this Bluetooth interface, but many traffic devices like this support a "GTX TIS-A" format that allows them to provide traffic data to Garmin portables over RS-232.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

can detect the GDL 39 3D a transponder with mode A/C and mode S with no ADS-B out?

Thanks

Regards
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

A GDL 39 3D can only "see" Mode A/C aircraft when these targets are being uplinked to the GDL 39 from an ADS-B ground station using TIS-B. TIS-B services are only available for aircraft transmitting ADS-B Out.

If you are asking about Germany (with no ADS-B ground stations that I know of), the simple answer is no, the GDL 39 will not receive data from Mode A/C aircraft.

The GDL 39 does, however, receive Mode S 1090ES data from aircraft equipped with these transponders and provide this to the Aera 660 which displays these aircraft as traffic complete with identifier.

Many customers outside the U.S. find the dual frequency GDL 39 receiver useful even though the traffic picture is not complete without any visibility to Mode C aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello gFlyer,

A GDL 39 3D can only "see" Mode A/C aircraft when these targets are being uplinked to the GDL 39 from an ADS-B ground station using TIS-B. TIS-B services are only available for aircraft transmitting ADS-B Out.

If you are asking about Germany (with no ADS-B ground stations that I know of), the simple answer is no, the GDL 39 will not receive data from Mode A/C aircraft.

The GDL 39 does, however, receive Mode S 1090ES data from aircraft equipped with these transponders and provide this to the Aera 660 which displays these aircraft as traffic complete with identifier.

Many customers outside the U.S. find the dual frequency GDL 39 receiver useful even though the traffic picture is not complete without any visibility to Mode C aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

thanks for your quick answer. Do you know a device which works in Germany? For instance is the TRX 1500 http://www.air-avionics.com/air/ind...-1500-the-flexible-collision-avoidance-system
which also can detect FLARM signals supported from the area 660?

Thanks,
gFlyer

Steve,

thanks for your quick answer. Do you know a device which works in Germany? For instance is the TRX 1500 http://www.air-avionics.com/air/ind...-1500-the-flexible-collision-avoidance-system
which also can detect FLARM signals supported from the area 660?

Thanks,
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

If you download the manual for the TRX1500 you will see on pages 29 and 35 that they claim to support Garmin TIS traffic format and they show a screenshot of an Aera 795/796.

This is supported by the TRX on serial port 3 which transmits data on pin 8.

We haven't tested this, but understand this interface will work. When using the Garrecht TRX tool to configure the port 3 serial port, set the baud rate to 9600 and set the Connected Equipment type to "Garmin TIS". Set the serial port on the Aera 660 to "GTX TIS-A In".

4XAiBXVLYeEPHgVKvZSbh1iDIF-nEc4KTwuVYF9MAMno0-LfBXlNig2l-ezg87CTQg5PldJ2HZNAyzjLpSIeaFyTJY9uVlVjFEl1nHFc8reNXOdrquArGK9O8CgbSxwKySblYJMc7RW8WU0d28_sq9ejJSnjj3QXDaoRjgnOITvSCTbWgIRnwlURo9yNc8M4OhgK1iEpp5Wy-Da3k8uZfGla7hwCUNFJfidmtB3mYaOiQx3-0sfAF81OVSF-x0u5JEVnc3fMWFmrreSP7jKxPeapifAIx7LTWckCSPJKBsjkovvsBgtUI5FoUO8F86FwnR1vB_OAjX5rQiUSwLiIzWC0le6za7YGbsBT8vBHV4rV_Mv6Rzb3Ce8yYoKAIW8in5aZ4UDcUAWnWP_Tn3b2nUW1VltUtQiYj_qMDpAdFbqxvNLBximtM7bPaogiHKxeLyC7jXUixR52il4St-qjIMyJrcti6U_fZ1Z6q9IxsZlIRXDxgUdb2XHnSJJ4BXtjxhM4dcavCm8hfBs3Z_x80wTX1CJ1c_vsYNFXyOcLb4FQbgi24HORW5vRq1qvmK8kKyHIdZJVCHCwMNnufJwrm8OTweaIZtRyelewgdTbIlSF4xoYjv3w=w963-h273-no

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello gFlyer,

If you download the manual for the TRX1500 you will see on pages 29 and 35 that they claim to support Garmin TIS traffic format and they show a screenshot of an Aera 795/796.

This is supported by the TRX on serial port 3 which transmits data on pin 8.

We haven't tested this, but understand this interface will work. When using the Garrecht TRX tool to configure the port 3 serial port, set the baud rate to 9600 and set the Connected Equipment type to "Garmin TIS". Set the serial port on the Aera 660 to "GTX TIS-A In".

4XAiBXVLYeEPHgVKvZSbh1iDIF-nEc4KTwuVYF9MAMno0-LfBXlNig2l-ezg87CTQg5PldJ2HZNAyzjLpSIeaFyTJY9uVlVjFEl1nHFc8reNXOdrquArGK9O8CgbSxwKySblYJMc7RW8WU0d28_sq9ejJSnjj3QXDaoRjgnOITvSCTbWgIRnwlURo9yNc8M4OhgK1iEpp5Wy-Da3k8uZfGla7hwCUNFJfidmtB3mYaOiQx3-0sfAF81OVSF-x0u5JEVnc3fMWFmrreSP7jKxPeapifAIx7LTWckCSPJKBsjkovvsBgtUI5FoUO8F86FwnR1vB_OAjX5rQiUSwLiIzWC0le6za7YGbsBT8vBHV4rV_Mv6Rzb3Ce8yYoKAIW8in5aZ4UDcUAWnWP_Tn3b2nUW1VltUtQiYj_qMDpAdFbqxvNLBximtM7bPaogiHKxeLyC7jXUixR52il4St-qjIMyJrcti6U_fZ1Z6q9IxsZlIRXDxgUdb2XHnSJJ4BXtjxhM4dcavCm8hfBs3Z_x80wTX1CJ1c_vsYNFXyOcLb4FQbgi24HORW5vRq1qvmK8kKyHIdZJVCHCwMNnufJwrm8OTweaIZtRyelewgdTbIlSF4xoYjv3w=w963-h273-no

Thanks,
Steve

Many thanks Steve for your quick and professional answer! This support is very much appreciated.

Regards
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

Yes, if this device supports Garmin TIS-A traffic protocol like the TRX 1500.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Steve,

I have ask them, they have told me that they do not have any specification for the Garmin TIS-A traffic protocol. They can support it if they get the specification. Would be great, because pilotware is getting more important here in Europe.

Thanks, regards
gFlyer

Hi gflyer
I'm using power flarm core connected to 660 with Garmin Tis protocol via rs232.
Works great. The power flarm has the better flarm reception due double antennas compared to the trx1500.
You can share this rs232 line to multiple devices if the all can handle the same protocol and baud rate!!
You can use the second port to connect the "air connect" wifi unit to send the traffic signal via wifi to your iPad. I'm using easyvfr and it shows me traffic via flarm protocol where you see glider/plane symbol on the iPad.

I can send you pictures by email!

Christian
OE-CCM

Datei%2027.06.17%2C%2015%2054%2048.png

Datei%2027.06.17%2C%2015%2056%2041.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi gflyer
I'm using power flarm core connected to 660 with Garmin Tis protocol via rs232.
Works great. The power flarm has the better flarm reception due double antennas compared to the trx1500.
You can share this rs232 line to multiple devices if the all can handle the same protocol and baud rate!!
You can use the second port to connect the "air connect" wifi unit to send the traffic signal via wifi to your iPad. I'm using easyvfr and it shows me traffic via flarm protocol where you see glider/plane symbol on the iPad.

I can send you pictures by email!

Christian
OE-CCM

Datei%2027.06.17%2C%2015%2054%2048.png

Datei%2027.06.17%2C%2015%2056%2041.jpeg

Thanks Christian for the information and pictures.

I have already purchased a PilotAware unit and now looking how to interface with it.

I do not really understand why Garmin is not responding concerning the TIS protocol.

Thanks and good flying close by!
gFlyer

Ask at pilotaware if you can connect the flarm via the airconnect wifi box.
If pilot aware can handle Garmin 'Tis via rs232, even better. Just split this cable also to the 660!
You don't find this in the manuals but it works. You just need the same baud rate for all connected units.

Hi Steve

Looking at updating to the 660
can you modify airport info ie freq runway lengths etc. either directly on the unit or via the Garmin app.

Hi Steve

Looking at updating to the 660
can you modify airport info ie freq runway lengths etc. either directly on the unit or via the Garmin app.

Hello TC123,

You may create user waypoints and specify lat/lon and altitude which can be used in flight plans, but there is no way to create an airport with runways and frequency and insert it into the navigation database.

See page 61 of the Rev. B Pilot Guide.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve

is there a possibility for Garmin to add this feature in the future as even my home field in the Garmin App has no info on a airfield that is in ERSA..
Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks Steve

is there a possibility for Garmin to add this feature in the future as even my home field in the Garmin App has no info on a airfield that is in ERSA..
Thanks again for the reply.

Hello TC123,

This is definitely something on our list of features we would like to add some day.

One of the benefits of runways in the database is visibility to extended centerlines. You can approximate this feature using OBS mode (from the flight plan page).

For example, if you enter a user waypoint for your home airport, and that waypoint is the active navigation waypoint, you can enter OBS mode and enter the course to the runway you wish to land on. A long magenta course line will be shown on the map or chart for miles which will make it easy to intercept and navigate to the runway end.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Jeff,

Glad to hear you are considering coming back from the dark side. :)

No logbook option. There is a flight log function that logs each flight including a track log that you can view, but no export capability.

No current ability to share a 660 database subscription with G.P.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
After poking around inside the USB file system I was able to find where the tracks are stored. They're saved in an XML file that can be copied off onto your PC. The file name is USB0/GPX/Current.gps.

I figured that you (Garmin) probably used the same GPS software framework on all your portables. So I tried some of your GPS PC software. Garmin BaseCamp currently recognizes the 660 and is able to extract the tracks, routes, and user waypoints.

In the short time that I was playing with it, I couldn't figure out how to change the map BaseCamp was using, but at least I was able to export the tracks and save them off from the 660 to my PC.

The flight log is another story. I haven't figured out where that is stored yet. It got to be in there somewhere...

rayb

660 powered during engine start & stop

Steve,
Can the Garmin 660 tolerate being powered on when the engine is started and stopped. Some electronics are sensitive to this and need to be off during these time periods.
Thanks

Steve,
Can the Garmin 660 tolerate being powered on when the engine is started and stopped. Some electronics are sensitive to this and need to be off during these time periods.
Thanks

Hello Paul,

No problem with powering up the Aera 660 with aircraft power and leaving it on while the engine is started and stopped. I do this every flight.

Thanks,
Steve

Is there a document anywhere which lists the various file formats which can be stored on the SD card and which the 660 auto detects and does specific things with?

There is this in the user manual

2017-08-16_072744.jpg

but that's all I can find, and I have seen some references online to an ability to load checklists etc (PDF or image files?).

It would be too good if you could drop in there georefenced maps :)

There is some stuff regarding Mapsource which seems to be some kind of rather old Garmin program... I prefer to avoid unnecessary software but if there is a list which specifically details what extra features one can get on the 660 with it, that would be great too.

I am based in Europe, which dramatically impacts the available mapdata...

I am based in Europe, which dramatically impacts the available mapdata...

Hello Peterh,

You are correct that some of those options and Mapsource software is dated, and quite frankly seldom used.

Please use this link to go to the FlyGarmin page showing all the database options available for Europe and the UK.

There are both bundles and individual database choices that will hopefully meet your needs. There is even a United Kingdom VFR Chart option for $79.

Please contact us via email or phone for specific questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,

We are constantly working to source new map and chart data from various sources around the world, and we are happy to announce a new option starting today for those flying in South Africa, Lesotho, and Swaziland.

South Africa VFR charts are now available for Aera 660/795/796 and G3X Touch for $29.99. It is our understanding that this chart data is updated annually.

Just go to the FlyGarmin page for your product, and you will see the new option to purchase this database.

Example on Aera 660.

geESjMSty-gNzB8oEr3gsNnQQYVXFXFmLyEaIm21KpYKhF7E9wN08q_EpUxKVyu3yqfxXYmGCkYaL56sW4YPRuK7wMP9bwW5SfQWGYi9ruqkp2P83v5ms87KC_7jYveD2L2sR1Nc5DNFwqixtdMXOGaZ9Lhuat1sRRN8NjP-DPN7NtqwdBMECTShVrEPTiT3-5ur0jfSzZXLPfFHtB4ZCxrrfoXevz8u6leKiaUw1Yioo9ZsS38GjvWbxnYfMFl3pXJeeyXtP8DiWP0K6UDefrguyavTUIbVdtXmsrgEOz2aXNIAHJF34TYWUh90Qq0nyH_k-E_mCkiZwXFDeN-Hfm0eVMlOub-_l9d9-OE1MuCODtmAvqJESEZXnf3hCK6ei36LJLfLtFruSGRuuaeo2JGJS3B2tqIKbqoixa7xLWwwIAGr5WSOI8QDh46NwyutLxdObgkw7vpN8tmZMa8dYAKjz8HgArqxXVdcXYMs5Su5PNcvrXqC1fc347uL-0j_ponBRGfjC2S-M1IE-5F4AQ8jUpY1PiQlBO6fxC5FcnmzAv5cnVwoFVzu0J1eULFshE7SNo5pJHmt6hWATZXbew725eKZmWsYjMoYarbs_Qye8n9FKWdN=w578-h934-no

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Version 3.00

Hi Steve,

saw there is version 3.00 online. Did I missed something here?
What are the advantages of this new version?

Best regards
gFlyer

Steve,

Would you be able to answer the questions in my post e.g.

"Is there a document anywhere which lists the various file formats which can be stored on the SD card and which the 660 auto detects and does specific things with?"

I can't find them on the internet.

Many thanks.

Peter

Back