What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Location for parking brake handle?

bruceh

Well Known Member
I have a parking brake installed on my firewall just above the pilot's rudder/brake controls. I'm trying to lay out the general location of things on the instrument panel, and I'd love to hear your opinions on where the parking brake handle should reside. I have a T handle from ACS with a locking button in the center.

Ideally, I would like to have this on the pilot side, and NOT on the panel, but somewhere underneath or on the side of the fuselage. Less to deal with this way if the panel has to come in and out. Looking for ideas on how to mount this.

I plan on installing my red parking brake T handle for my 7a on the pilot's side just above the eyeball vent.
This location for easier access when standing on the wing, dumping the brake valve without climbing in.

My Solution

ltfnjpDmoYJjhDWgnoKah2K33aqTTyhhldxTkyT6YSBp61blSVrSZ1NHLsz4tUc17dWZwACgVXuoudZ11VkCZDhk_PhHjaD_WQcle6Nzywq8YzqDeVG4Iff3TjqwQRqk5_h50Cjcg8LmIr8InSBeXwwPcyH4cEEAhxXSLDomASWDISFZExBtsquwTIVAKwY3vBwWB6dot2X_gwgcRS1rZ3xlZYGvY5mqLB6wQIIcPO0IMdB-g2wKc4rhmf9pUZplXdmW3EcsYVGm86RoRQjMLnpY81S1-JzDe2RPHaRKjk7K4-5CE78pHVHKm1btMzBWW3ONmDjgwPGqrO-qpWgWU3yOWiU2-khvad8I-nbemWD6bSUEKiTvTgRxJULP5FFw6UilJeLGOosD-LG_T4LliiRcrhx9Enn0qNEPzAsoU8y2ORXxZeVz-2nmWewZRredpBO3mjO3qZPaAUpnm7i5K7ijgwj5JSI3tkZwxki4yn87eb-fNYlHQIzMCS78uYcnumGEIwXpU6VJ0Z5Z0h6-QN6P1tTk7hx_pX8SE1vOHiG2JLd0Ul3AJv605zpmikZ_RcYZYIsIhEiE_1XAczjYWGwuLsFYL3CeKUb1PY7w9HiO2QM3nySzdIksJwZpdU6Cvq62QVd1uxcHbJl3x6flq-8aM3MJx-v7qRgaucTXUMplEyLQl6bLLnL2vuj52b5NuTzFikpwhUyDSuOggaanLsT_Pg=w1024-h766

I used a regular round knob "detent" cable for this and inset it's mounting so the knob doesn't protrude as much. I figure that the parking brake is rarely used - but if I happen to need it, I don't want to have to hunt the handle up under the panel somewhere.

Last edited:
Dan,
Where did you get that nice looking panel?

Please post some more pics if you have some.

Glenn Wilkinson

I plan on installing my red parking brake T handle for my 7a on the pilot's side just above the eyeball vent.
This location for easier access when standing on the wing, dumping the brake valve without climbing in.

That is where I put mine and I'm glad I did. There have been many times when I just wanted to dump the brakes without having to get in. Now if there were a way to set the brakes without getting in...

parking_brake_handle.jpg

I used a regular round knob "detent" cable for this and inset it's mounting so the knob doesn't protrude as much. I figure that the parking brake is rarely used - but if I happen to need it, I don't want to have to hunt the handle up under the panel somewhere.

This is where I have installed mine and I use it more often then expected.

BTW, this looks like is going to turn like a very nice panel.

Cheers

Don't want to hijack the thread . . . .

Dan,
Where did you get that nice looking panel?

Please post some more pics if you have some.

Glenn Wilkinson

I made it (glass and carbon fiber).

One pic - still a work in progress.

Zgt14mmXnM_f2cTwZ74buvemLXPoByRPFrAZKC5_3jbyiJMMD9N99OwhHaCd83RkRdFQX536siTCU6dADR6eFd1p4rHenloMWMrSCO62-bUe-bbk3MntznycXoGKxf5q4S2RnODFL9up551qsw-vYIFgM3ejYJKfsfw_X3e5PByenAhqoa7F8ZDZvh_4K_eyeo0Br_R-YcmJrNAn89Xp7HLiAQ3KA0XdcjsfNVfDBW2teLbOsfRCJObJWv8ygN6zd2o3OouGgKmyYrlFPUPlvVTSHP9-7sLlIe0XzqsmmvKJnu9IMuCyFQCIgmfQVzh2wt6zppYWPDpvE7tehiM0h_oqH7J2nkyu-mgVQSrx-Edg87LQ2ZTTZc8Oy2mutjvfMN4SIeOd6F9rEaRW1q7b9JvKJbFueR2i910OX0MvuMI1wYfcA3X94IBKsyLGZxvG0T4t5MskKP0fV0a7GXjnj2rVsrkM8yri8U7wZ8WQG7hciOM1iwioqgB2M_2WLf6ckHmpapp6out26wjQ_pI4fAEG1y5oz3sAn5ZeXoIPDl6-cv8gk33nhJpMjpVKOoX8SZAl3iW7ccbIsCHSZy4cBT6JbFvDuoSJHCacMGz5clfTVex7FhcXj22zjZFVs6Hf5mQSMe1xx_JzgB1kjaNtu4C1jHvKHCAXSO0Sat77hPiVh5OP_ljMOFm1uxf2tH06xUudUwHEw38a6GMWRDhPp_UAkQ=w800-h599

Last edited:
I orignially put my parking brake handle on the small vertical bulkhead by my left knee (RV7A). I'm short and the problem was that when I pushed on the brakes it had the equal and opposite effect of pushing me back in my seat...to the point I couldn't reach the parking brake to engage it:eek:

I moved it to the power quadrant and have been really happy with it there. I use it at start up, run up and shut down on uneven ramps now.

Jeremy Constant

I left the tab where the manual elevator trim was supposed to go and installed it there.

I mounted mine in the upper left of the panel, right where I look when taxiing or taking off.

One secondary advantage of that location is that it made routing the cable a snap.

Just to follow up. Here is what I ended up doing to mount the parking brake handle. Still a work in progress, but a nice solution IMHO.

IMG2821-M.jpg

Pilot side down below the panel and under the air vents.

IMG2822-M.jpg

Parking brake handle mount was made from some leftover angle stock. The small angle holding it against the side skin was leftover material from the subpanel gap seal support.

IMG2823-M.jpg

This bulkhead penetration will get a small rubber bushing.

Back