What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motor mount question

Tharpo

Looking at an older O-320 that looks like it is gonna take a straight mount.Has anyone used an engine like this on a 4? Is there any reason not to? I'm assuming Vans would would make it if it would work ok.
Thanks
Tom H.

Looking at an older O-320 that looks like it is gonna take a straight mount.Has anyone used an engine like this on a 4? Is there any reason not to? I'm assuming Vans would would make it if it would work ok.
Thanks
Tom H.

Sounds like a conical mount, just delivered an RV-4 conical engine mount to Van?s yesterday so yes if what you?re asking about is indeed a conical engine it can be used on an RV-4 assuming the rest of the engine conforms.

Mount

Thanks Russ
I guess I should have mentioned that there are no letters following the O-320 designation on the data plate. Is that a clue as to its age? I think I was told that, or would that be an indicator of anything that might make me want to pass it up?

Thanks Russ
I guess I should have mentioned that there are no letters following the O-320 designation on the data plate. Is that a clue as to its age? I think I was told that, or would that be an indicator of anything that might make me want to pass it up?

I have no idea about that, maybe someone else will answer this one.

Lycoming

No letters is one of the very early 0 320 engines. No cylinder hold down plates under the nuts, so not eligible for high compression, 150 hp max. I think adding the plates requires changing all the studs but am not certain about this. In any event you have a real antique engine, somewhere in the 1954-55 range.

Straight mount

Thanks
Tom H.

Tom,
I have an 1996 -4. About 5 years ago I needed to change the mount bushings because they were deteriorated due to age. It was a straight-forward medium sized job.
Mine has an IO-320.

If you are asking about the mounts themselves, they are fine.

I know most folk use conical mounts, but straight mounts are just fine.
Daddyman

I ran a conical mount (also called a straight mount) O320 and Catto prop for many years on my RV4. I replaced the cheap rubber conical mount inserts with Lord conical mount inserts that are "clocked" for engine sag and vibration. I upgraded to a O360 and a dynafocal mount with a Catto prop about 1-1/2 years ago. The dynafocal mount is noticeably smoother. So much better that I would not use a conical mount if I were to build another RV.

Back