What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got My Instrument Airplane Today in My 10-Good Story

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
Folks:

I've had Commercial Instrument Helicopter rating for decades (courtesy of the U S Army), but to be legal for IFR in my 10, I had to get the Instrument Airplane add on.

When I called the Examiner, he initially said that he "doesn't do homebuilts". I was bummed out. He asked, "Is it a tail dragger"?. No, I said. I described a tricycle gear, 4 place, very nice machine. I also explained that is was an all Garmin glass cockpit, with the Garmin GTN 650 as the IFR navigator. He asked me to send a picture. I sent him a picture of the outside of the plane, and one with the panel all lit up. He immediately responded back, "OK I'll do it" :).

Today when I was there for the ride, he actually brought a friend (an RV-8 owner) over to show him the plane, which made me proud, to show it off:).

Anyway, the ride went well. I hand flew the 2 precision approaches (ILS and LPV), and the autopilot flew the VOR. I'm glad it's done. Now there's less pressure on staying legal VFR for my trips now:). I really love this 10.

Last edited:
Larry!!!!

Way to go man!!!!! Outstanding!!!!

And thank you for your service.

v/r,dr

Echo chamber in here- but...

Great story and that is a GREAT looking bird!

Congrats.

Great story Larry. You are to be congratulated. Nice work on the airplane too, it looks really nice.

Congrats Larry! Now you can really put that thing to use! Come on down to IPJ sometime, you can stay at our place.

Tim

Congratulations, Larry. Thank you for taking the time to show me your bird when I visited IN. Very inspirational.

Back