What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing the tailcone

jamcgee1978

As wings arrive next friday my thoughts turn to storing the tail in the shop as space is key (20ftx20ft) in order to accept wings, inventory, storage and then building the wing cradle. How have other folks gone about it? My thoughts so far have been simply:
1) hanging from the rafters
2) building a shelf from ply and bolting legs to the rafters

Any other ideas or pics more than welcome.

Had the same problem with my RV-12 fuselage :)

K4yJU7yzbLhYYTqbeD_VeGH9JouikW2LX2W7wRVEQ2j7nd62n0tjE-RSk2WrxAdOIYuArU_55A82_k2fIY-8WHLCPL1qaleKdMjGpyQOZD47eTv7depMhurnssZYKDiAW-hjNIpAmJTbhV7LkMObhbwfh9wZk561z-OdOZvzGEHZlwfPYPvsDlGepQF-7FIsOcO10XPCq-Fixbwrfyo6XwQC87UWyGhC5eLxuFPdXYVX5YWNF2Z58eEp9q8B5h2kKfT8VpvfHZBosrUd9QLmruahAXlSvgzcqrTMGI_UbAeVw4Jmn3Bq-HuHXKb7Y5hXPmYMhIWpAcucGACAyTFzAzSnLfeyW2OsyDGpGePUm2MVrzT15Fbfd1QZefeKjKIFuA-Nxkr6aUTLgD6xNMDNbRu-6ORdXXNo82Aq2tb9Mwm1xiR3qYjIx8xehei93hXKIn4RdB7bHmvFIlZOCeYUWSKJ8Pm7bEK8j31QJIxqE_1qvP1Ho52cHT3ENJaU0yfT5ek0O_RUVDEdQYKWHRNhHaN4jQ-J5eSwrdrnoNLAnE-WviYNgHo0AOs9buJqC9BP4El_WMJWcVyfHvFvVYTygp5ATmnbGH-SlmuDj_BLBnlYx6iq8_ixfTHrqNel00Sk9c0RQKYMERH1cZIK_VTZ5_ZLUbdIhvPkrYz2FZAQJwLM3gufvmE=w1024-h768-no

I am limited on shop space as well.... I plan on an overhead hanging storage rack, that I can lower via cable/pulley.

https://www.amazon.com/Racor-PHL-1R-HeavyLift-4-Foot-Cable-Lifted/dp/B0009I8AO6/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=10NGJGS549Q39R8Y8GBT

That's nice, or you could try a kayak storage system. Replace the straps as needed with adjustable ones to fit the tail cone. You may want to store some things inside the tail cone to increase the overall weight so the pulley system works better.

Mounted on the ceiling of my garage/workshop
IMG_3694-e1536524757600.jpg

Was light enough for my wife and I to hoist easily. Some eye bolts and ratchet straps did the job.

Last edited:
I went with a garage gator and we park our cars under it (12ft ceiling)- garagegator.com

It raises and lowers with a button press. we'll use it for other non-aviation related hobbies when the plane moves out of the garage.

If I were to do it all over again... I would do exactly the same thing :)

Last edited:
I built a ?crib? on wheels. The tailcone is stored vertically. The base is high enough so the baggage door angle tab just clears the floor. The tailcone is then ?nested? inside the cabin cover (when it arrives with the fuse kit) which is also stored vertically. Total footprint is 40? X 46?.

I did something similar. I used Harbor Freight bike storage pullies and improvised a bit. I used the boards and straps because I knew it was going to be there for awhile and I didn't want any of the ropes to deform the empennage while it was stored.
FP16112010A00066.jpg

I did something similar. I used Harbor Freight bike storage pullies and improvised a bit. I used the boards and straps because I knew it was going to be there for awhile and I didn't want any of the ropes to deform the empennage while it was stored.
FP16112010A00066.jpg
Thanks Bob i had a wee look at the straps today and I’m confident there should be no warping but ill check with my inspector for clarification.

Back