What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weak Transmission - ICOM 210

RONSIM

Well Known Member
RV friend having trouble with weak transmission, on ICOM 210--close-in (5 miles or less,) or on the ground, everything seems OK -- weak antenna was replaced and new antenna and coax verified as functioning. --

Have not located another 210 to swap out, yet ---- any suggestions from the 210 users?

Thanks for the help,

Ron

Last edited:
Let me know if you get to the point in the process where you are looking for a known working great A 210 for purchase. A slide in replacement has something to say for itself. I have one in the panel that has nothing wrong with it presently. However, I have a GTR 200 on the shelf,harness made and just waiting on an installation time. Its hard to remove a perfectly good com knowing you have got to work underneath that panel for an installation!! But, Let me know if you need it.

My poor to non existent TX was tracked back to a high resistance breaker switch which was only passing 10.5 volts... Swapped it out, TX normal... Hope it's this simple...

A cheap thing to try is to replace the cable between the head unit and the body with a new one. They are only a couple of dollars from Icom. Those cables go bad and have been responsible for all kinds of problems in the past.

Thanks, guys! The avionics shop

ran a lot of tests on the system and could not find anything other than a weak antenna, which was replaced with new, and tested --- they were not able to delve into the guts of the radio and did not have another one to plug in -- hoping to find a loaner in the area to determine if, in fact, it is the unit -- if the unit is defective, we will take a look at the replacement options.

By the way, the guys at American Avionics, in Brooksville, FL have been really helpful in trying to help my RV-4 buddy!

Ron

I think i do have an extra ribbon cable if you want to try it. However I have not had very good success with the cable change out in the past. My opinion is LEAVE that cable alone. It is possible to remove the face plate and radio from the tray without removing the cable if you are careful and use some masking tape. Text me and i will look for the ribbon cable if you want to try. 7708two33four26

Dennis -- thanks

Will try the radio swap-out first --- I am going to push for him to install a G200 if his unit shows to be bad. Will get rid of an antique intercom at the same time.

Ron

EDIT - NEW INFO --swapped out radio ----- same problem with the "loaner" ------ will change out coax next - (not a big deal, and will change from the RG58 to 400, just for grins!)

Last edited:
Even with the new antenna, might try a replacement coax cable with new connectors between radio and antenna. Sometime the connectors will have poor connection, especially if they get tugged on for some reason.

Back