What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SV GPS-2020 Insstallation Options

n74846

Well Known Member
Rather than running the 2020 wiring to the AV-50000 I am considering splicing the new GPS into the exiting 4 wire bundle. Has anyone done this, and if so was there any degradation of signal strength or other complications?

Rather than running the 2020 wiring to the AV-50000 I am considering splicing the new GPS into the exiting 4 wire bundle. Has anyone done this, and if so was there any degradation of signal strength or other complications?

Somewhere in the instructions it tells you that you can just cut the wires and splice them because the color code is the same.
I did it with mine and the last test came out great--no red boxes or anything.

Terry
:D

It will work fine. I have always installed them with knife disconnects at the point where the antenna exits the fuselage, as there is no way you are going to pull the wires all the way back to the panel for replacement. That practice worked out well when the 2020 antennas came out as it was a very quick swap. :)

Vic

If you are using the kit obtained from Van's that has the pins already on the wires, plug etc...it really isn't difficult to replace the whole thing. Even with loosening a few clamps and sliding each wire through the firewall ... it was completed in about an hour and that includes reinstalling the top skin/cowl screws...

I'm trying to avoid opening the instrument access panel as it will ruin the paint and the seal will be a bear to remove, and then re-seal. And access through the SV hole is small with the d-sub location difficult to reach as well. Just looking for a short-cut that will have no negative affect, if possible.

I'm trying to avoid opening the instrument access panel as it will ruin the paint and the seal will be a bear to remove, and then re-seal. And access through the SV hole is small with the d-sub location difficult to reach as well. Just looking for a short-cut that will have no negative affect, if possible.

That makes sense if you cannot easily remove the top skin. Another reminder for everyone building is to avoid sealing the topskin permanently to the fuse and have your painter remove the screws from the topskin when painting it, so that it can be more easily removed in future. The screws can still be painted separately if desired. Lets face it, even with modern avionics we are all going to need to get in there on a regular basis in the years ahead for upgrades/fixes etc...and trying to do that though the SV opening is just not ideal.

Removing the avionics bay cover is a requirement for the condition inspection as the top engine mount brackets are only accessible by removing it. Plus, there is an active SB on the rivets for the mount.....

Back