What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire Harness Tape

Never used it, though I've wrapped an occasional harness in non-av use.

If you're trolling for ideas, here are a few.
1st, I'm forever making changes to the plane I'm flying, and even to the one I'm building. Rerouting/adding/subtracting wire is tricky enough with just nylon wire ties; modifying that type of wrapped harness is not something I'd want to contemplate. Your situation might be completely different, with no intent to modify.
2nd, if you do want to plan for future maintenance/modifications, Here is some stuff I found:

https://www.techflex.com/prod_ccp.asp
and
https://www.techflex.com/prod_f6w.asp

One is a closed weave and the other is split along its length, which allows additions/subtractions/entries/exits anywhere along the length. Both come in nominal diameters, and both will expand/contract quite a bit in diameter if you stretch or shrink the length. Think kid's 'Chinese finger cuffs'. You can treat the ends to prevent unraveling by heating with a lighter, match, soldering iron, etc. The closed 1" nominal expanded enough for me to get a 25 pin subD through it (no shell, and turned sideways). You can pull individual wires out of the closed one through the weave, but adding/subtracting is obviously more troublesome. The slit version stays closed surprisingly well, even around tight bends. I'm very please with how it cleaned up my harnesses.

No idea on fire rating, but IIRC, it doesn't sustain flame when you melt the ends (test this for yourself; I don't trust my own memory).

I bought it through Amazon.

Hope that's useful info...

Charlie

I am just curious if anyone has used wire harness tape and their thoughts on using it. I have never come across it before today and it looked interesting.

Split techflex works great.

I would never use automotive tape wrap. Not designed for repairs of changes along the way.

Tape wrap holds no appeal for an aircraft. Lace the bundle using lacing cord, or sheath it in techflex. I have both the split and non-split versions in our aircraft. The split techflex is the hands-down winner as it allows wiring modifications to be carried out relatively easily. The split techflex is also a bit stiffer than the non-split version, giving the finished wiring bundle a more rigid feel.

Back