What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR RV-12

backcountry

Well Known Member
My aircraft is mostly complete except for the avionics & power plant.
The aircraft will be completed to the E-LSA specs but certified E-AB. The reason for doing this is I later plan to make some small instrumentation changes for IFR. I'm not doing this to fly hard IFR but I will fly IFR in weather that I could fly VFR. For X-country I like IFR but that would be a problem for certified E-LSA. I've flown an RV-12 and in light IFR I would feel as comfortable in it as any other aircraft.
Has anyone done this?
Has anyone installed a VOR antenna?

This topic has been discussed/debated several times before. Search the forum for previous threads. As to the VOR antenna, yes I have seen it done.

If you're doing the EAB just for updating to IFR later (as in after the pink slip), you can still do that as an ELSA, as long as you do the updates after the pink slip.

That's what I plan to do.

Bob

Question

The aircraft will be completed to the E-LSA specs but certified E-AB. The reason for doing this is I later plan to make some small instrumentation changes for IFR. I'm not doing this to fly hard IFR but I will fly IFR in weather that I could fly VFR. For X-country I like IFR but that would be a problem for certified E-LSA. I've flown an RV-12 and in light IFR I would feel as comfortable in it as any other aircraft.
Has anyone done this?

How do you file for Light IFR? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

I installed a Garmin SL30 in my previous 12 and mounted the VOR antenna on the bottom fiberglass tailcone and routed the wire through a snap bushing and forward through the fuselage. In that 12 I had the Dynon D180 system and used it's internal VOR/GS indicator and it worked very well. I did fly quite a few hours with foggles using that set up. My personal opinion is that the 12 is not a good IFR platform. It's too light, thus a bit too twitchy for ILS approaches. It would also need a heated pitot mast. The 12 is a great airplane, but is not designed or intended as an IFR platform. Just my opinion fellows.

Has anyone done this?

I do not believe your statement regarding e-lsa is true. Once certified as an e-lsa (certificate in hand); you could change out to a certified GPS/nav....up date transponder... You could legally fly ifr....like you said, say a marginal approach at destination (would be nice to shoot a GPS approach).

How do you file for Light IFR? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Tony,

I've been vfr in the San Jose area (Reed Hillview airport) where I would have given anything to call approach control and request a GPS approach.....it was legally vfr, but not to my liking.

Light ifr.....is very subjective, would not on purpose punch into weather, but as noted above...to let down through a cloud base. I guess I don't see what all the fuss is about.

We have an SL30 with the VOR aerial mounted on the fin top rib. The fin tip is held on with #6 countersunk screws into anchor (plate) nuts.

The aerial base is mounted with screws into anchor nuts onto a simple top hat bracket rivetted to the top rib. Slots in the fin tip allow the aerial to pass out through the tip.

The aerial lead passes down through the fin leading edge rib lightening holes and forward through the fuselage. There is a BNC connector under the leading edge fin attachment bracket access panel to aid fin removal.

Works fine. Note, we are in the UK rules so our mod rules are different.

Has anyone done this?

Here is a photo of my VOR antenna location:

IMG_0225.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Regards,
Tom

I put my VOR/GS cat whiskers in the same spot, butI haven't been able to get a good signal yet. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'll figure it out at annual.

To me "light IFR" means IFR in VMC in congested airspace or marginal VFR.

I am also interested in getting my aircraft into IFR (light) for the reasons outlined above. Agree that it isn't a great IFR platform - rather twitchy - and I would never consider flying it in difficult IFR conditions, but it is soooo much easier flying in the IFR system compared with VFR. I had forgotten how much work is involved in flying VFR!

Is anybody running a heated pitot with the standard Rotax alternator? Spruce has 7 amp heated pitots (most are usually 10 amp) - seems like the Rotax might just handle it if everything else is kept to a minimum.

I had read about the alternator that bolts on the back of the engine - looked like it would easy to fit and a good solution, although pricey. However, I have just contacted Sportair who advise they are no longer available because they had become too expensive. I'm waiting on further advice to find out whether manufacturing has ceased altogether, or whether it's a case of Sportair no longer stocking them because of the cost.

Any other thoughts on fitting an external alternator? I understand there is one available that fits to the back of the gearbox but I suspect the airbox might get in the way on the 12, unless it is smaller than I imagine.

I am also interested in getting my aircraft into IFR (light) for the reasons outlined above. Agree that it isn't a great IFR platform - rather twitchy - and I would never consider flying it in difficult IFR conditions, but it is soooo much easier flying in the IFR system compared with VFR. I had forgotten how much work is involved in flying VFR!

Is anybody running a heated pitot with the standard Rotax alternator? Spruce has 7 amp heated pitots (most are usually 10 amp) - seems like the Rotax might just handle it if everything else is kept to a minimum.

I had read about the alternator that bolts on the back of the engine - looked like it would easy to fit and a good solution, although pricey. However, I have just contacted Sportair who advise they are no longer available because they had become too expensive. I'm waiting on further advice to find out whether manufacturing has ceased altogether, or whether it's a case of Sportair no longer stocking them because of the cost.

Any other thoughts on fitting an external alternator? I understand there is one available that fits to the back of the gearbox but I suspect the airbox might get in the way on the 12, unless it is smaller than I imagine.

Governor, do you want to take this one?

Please be aware that it is not necessary to go EAB for the reason of going IFR. An ELSA may be flown in IMC if properly equipped and flow by a qualified pilot.
The VFR restriction is for Sport Pilots and not necessarily related to the aircraft.

Would love to see rest of paint job.....looks cool.back side

Bob & Ric, thanks for the interest. Sorry about the thread hijack.

IMG_0466.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here was the inspiration:

T_37a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Regards,
Tom
Craig AFB, Class 71-06

Last edited:
VOR antenna

We have an SL30 with the VOR aerial mounted on the fin top rib. The fin tip is held on with #6 countersunk screws into anchor (plate) nuts.

The aerial base is mounted with screws into anchor nuts onto a simple top hat bracket rivetted to the top rib. Slots in the fin tip allow the aerial to pass out through the tip.

The aerial lead passes down through the fin leading edge rib lightening holes and forward through the fuselage. There is a BNC connector under the leading edge fin attachment bracket access panel to aid fin removal.

Works fine. Note, we are in the UK rules so our mod rules are different.
Van's appears to have located the cat whisker antenna in the same location on their RV-12iST. Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific antenna and/or pictures of how they mounted it?

I know some builders locate these antennas at the base of the rudder but in my experience they are a pain in the butt down there as you're tying the plane down and so on. I need to make some quick decisions here as I start into my VS.

Last edited:
Van's appears to have located the cat whisker antenna in the same location on their RV-12iST. Does anyone have a recommendation on a specific antenna and/or pictures of how they mounted it?

I know some builders locate these antennas at the base of the rudder but in my experience they are a pain in the butt down there as you're tying the plane down and so on. I need to make some quick decisions here as I start into my VS.

I would use a RAMI AV-525 and mount it on the top of the vertical stabilizer. We have them in stock AFS P/N: 73132

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

I?ve had vor/loc/ils on both of the 12?s I?ve built and mounted both of the antennas on the bottom of the tail cone fairing under the stabilator. Works fine and you don?t even notice it there. Skunkworks mounted his in the baggage area on the channel that runs from the roll bar to the tailcone. Works fine there too. If you are still building and have access to the top of the vertical stabilizer, I think it?s still best to have it up high. I used the same antenna Rob recommended.

I drilled out the rivets on the vertical stab fairing and installed #6 nutplates and machine screws in their place. That allowed me to mount my cat whiskers antenna on the top vertical stab rib. A moto-tool cut two small half moons in the fairing for antenna clearance and then reinstalled the fairing.

I drilled out the rivets on the vertical stab fairing and installed #6 nutplates and machine screws in their place. That allowed me to mount my cat whiskers antenna on the top vertical stab rib. A moto-tool cut two small half moons in the fairing for antenna clearance and then reinstalled the fairing.
Thanks. That looks like exactly what Van's did with their RV-12iST too. I'd just like to know if I need to drill some holes in my VS ribs for a snap bushing path for the cable which is what I'll likely do.

Back