What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill Bit Organization - I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
The photo below was semi-staged, but it's not far from what I often find on my workbench.

Seeing that our community is in constant pursuit of a 'better mouse trap', the custom wood tail lift, Randy Richmond's tool box, and Steve Melton's 3D designs immediately come to mind, I'd like to see what other have done to solve the problem of keeping various bits, cages, and the like organized.

Thanks in advance from a height and organizationally challenged builder.

IMG_1365%5B1%5D-M.jpg

Last edited:
I have a box that looks almost exactly like that Ernie .... well, actually, it’s not a box, its an entire drawer! I do, of course, have a couple of indexed drill boxes in the drawer, and most of the slots are full, so that’s where I go for a specific numbered bit. But I have lots and lots of unorganized 40,30,19,10, etc....bits of various lengths, and only experince tells me what to grab.

Yup - I’d like to see what others do as well!

Paul

Paul, I suspect we're not the only ones challenged in this area. At the other end of the spectrum we occupy is of course, Jay Pratt at RV-Central. I didn't realize when Jay agreed to host the 'rebuild' of the RV-1, that his shop has virtually every aircraft tool known to man; and that literally blindfolded, he can put his hand on a #11 jobber bit, a 3/8" combination wrench, or a #30 120* countersink. Pretty impressive organization and his shop was certainly a Godsend in the RV-1 project.

Last edited:
Uh-oh...

Paul, I suspect we're not the only ones challenged in this area. At the other end of the spectrum we occupy is of course, Jay Pratt at RV-Central. I didn't realize when Jay agreed to host the 'rebuild' of the RV-1, that his shop has virtually every aircraft tool known to man; and that literally blindfolded, he can put his hand on a #11 jobber bit, a 3/8" combination wrench, or a #30 120* countersink. Pretty impressive organization and his shop was certainly a Godsend in the RV-1 project.
I would probably pass out if I saw such an arrangement!

My arrangement uses drawers, and the 'usual suspect' plastic bins and large paper cups. New number drill bits are hidden: I can't find 'em to scatter 'em around.

Aside from that, I have a couple un-opened drill indexes that are pristine...for a while...

Now, I will admit that I put out a cushy section of paper towel on the bench to comfort the assortment of bits, de-burring tools, and rivet sets that remain on the bench until the project is finished...which appears to be years in this case, not weeks or months...so I refresh the paper towel from time to time...I might even upgrade to the BLUE towels at some point!

I did arrange my measuring tools this morning. Managed to find 'em ALL!:D

What really ticks me off is the new Harbor Freight store 2 miles away.:mad: Not quite on a first name basis...

Give more consideration to that index card. You will continue to use it way after you stop using your drill bits.

Give more consideration to that index card. You will continue to use it way after you stop using your drill bits.

Just buy one of these and keep it handy. It also tells you what sizes you need for tapping and clearances above the usual RV ones.

15.jpg

Available at any good hardware store and better than a piece of paper. :)

my method

I'm the last person anyone would ask for advice on shop organization, but I do have a simple drill bit organization tip.

Get a block of wood. (I used a 1 inch thick piece of hardwood). Trace a grid. Make it about 3 to 4 drill bits to a row and as many columns as your wood length permits: you want to be able to grab the bits, so not too close. One at a time, chuck each bit that you want to store and drill an approximately 1/2 inch deep hole. Since you are using the very bit that you will be storing, it will fit perfectly, but I marked the holes as well for ID.

I find that by making small blocks that hold the bits I need most often (2x#40, 2x#30, a #19, a #12, a #10, etc), I can put my hand on a bit more quickly. Having the holes match the bits assists in identifying. I used a drill press to keep the holes perpendicular.

I know this is simple and obvious, but it works for me.

drill bits

These are not mine, but they look like this:

drill_bits_stub_lengths.jpg

Except #30 and #40 I have a special place for them since I love them so much. :D

Just buy one of these and keep it handy. It also tells you what sizes you need for tapping and clearances above the usual RV ones.

15.jpg

Gil, You missed my point.

For the short bits, the drill indexes just like Mickey.
For the half dozen longer bits I have a foot long chunk of 4X4 that I drilled appropriate holes in that I just stick the bits in to hold them.
I mostly use the longer bits and only use the short bits when I need a specific size other than the regular ones.

Our hobby shop (not the hangar) has a labeled bench top index similar to this one. We also have a set of stubby machinists drills, on the lower end of the scale, which is in a piece of wood with Sharpie labeling. Drills that are suspected of 'not being drills' are turned upside down, so we can order new ones. There are also a full set of numbered drills in a more conventional index in another cabinet, as well as the metric and left handed sets.

I have a box with small bits, another with medium size bits and a tray with large bits all side by side in the top of my box. Sitting next to them is a pair of digital calipers.

I took a 2x4 about 18" long and drilled a bunch of holes. Then with a felt pen, I wrote the size number next to the hole. Looks like ****, but it does work. I do have the drill hole sizer that Gil posted to check any (most) drill bits I leave around.

I took a 2x4 about 18" long and drilled a bunch of holes. Then with a felt pen, I wrote the size number next to the hole. Looks like ****, but it does work. I do have the drill hole sizer that Gil posted to check any (most) drill bits I leave around.

I did something similar - a 3" x 5" block of MDF that I made a grid and used the actual size holes for the most used bits. It happened to be white melamine so easy to read the notes. I also keep the long bits, extras, and pin punches in the same block. A drill index holds the full sets of fractional and numbered HSS bits. Also noted the key clearance drills for #6 #8 #10. Sizes #40 up to 1/4", including a couple of one hole countersinks, but just the ones we use for the build.

Last edited:
For the short bits, the drill indexes just like Mickey.
For the half dozen longer bits I have a foot long chunk of 4X4 that I drilled appropriate holes in that I just stick the bits in to hold them.
I mostly use the longer bits and only use the short bits when I need a specific size other than the regular ones.

Rather than full length long bits, I often find that a 6 inch bit cut down to 4 or 5 inches is the best.

Cut it down so that you can drill a hole next to a cleco without the drill chuck hitting the cleco. That is the most useful length bit for RVs. :)

Main drills are in a big Heeber Fright set - I love the way they show the drill the titanium in manufacture ;)

Regular drills are in a 6 piece block of 2 x 2 about 4" long - #40, #30 and #19 at the back with same in short screw in sizes for the 90? angle drill. All foot longs nestle behind the tubs on the wall. I will try upload a vid on another thread.

At the Eagle?s Nest shop in Wisconsin, we deploy the 5 S method of organization. As you can imagine, our organization or more like disorganization is multiplied by a factor of 20 (students). We have every tool labeled with a location. We also have a designated spot for all our parts. We use a database with Van?s Part number, Description, and a picture of the part to help keep track of every rivet, nut, and bolt. We also have our Bins, shelves, and boxes labeled. These labels coordinate with a specific location of a part. Next build (-12is), we plan to amp it up one more level and have bar codes on all parts. The barcodes will also be captured in our database. Yes, we still misplace parts and spend time searching.

Jim

Very timely. I got tired on searching through my bag 'o bits to find the correct one. Here is my (not so original) solution. There's no rhyme or reason to the groupings.

c2GZ6PK-5JtuJO03dPLxBMa8PV22UnPQ44hZCFPGLSGe0c3R2PrTPziznxvaVlZChBymTqa7Kvv5wbfxZB6WyvSQj33Ry12mD_Q9Sgj4kUUqDNzaKfOllBfm44I2ilp4xcRADf9AIZiPvF-FYv4h6DtnOV0nYv7VzHA7fj5JA9BBfG6xOT034M25xSMn5DpoiT6kzOCjbIn9TBtJs5llef0LZcnTB8hMJF9ub11sleGEnTLmHbH4HB0oek1G-Sea2ZxCQXDvovlDx1mLybg7Aiv-7HiGnlbepYqui1wHNDrGjvqrpuzu8dRjgVjZIkjk-moyo1nIKDEi6QVubyB_q-Y852FQ_VeuWGWeLWFHvLejUtp6yucFZGzsXUE4M_PIl0lAiuBwsKPqBND95rzsXHvd_m5RSWh8Skkwnuv8orqZeBmp5jRWXpejMdsvKV0W3w-Gemc8Ymd7S8kEM5qhAtsUsymSONg6VWFB95BhLTmgL_noT0rFmEK9QwWtYv4msC81IFStMEz2HAuizIFVYV1mx-GZyPbwzKzGXQA9UHYK43A8ieg2CdknAIdLUJP5CRTX0S7kWJpYwnemySbsysyyvZ1U3eVhxY6VJ2kF=w600

FXYTnWS9Mca0I9hvWR6B8Y6YV1FzeZMO7P8l6USZZkSyXdzU0H0wT1fE14kQx_LPLj-fBq3I5AixnUiZgVCfI-HtNXViFDiqWlK1H37QBH-AsSV8QNS_CJxTFU32cbmJ8BUkDJtf4DrxJnjOmE9SL0nfXpPxfI0JXQl-4JDFMm6HLjjSUczGDutugzourdJtWku3DLbuDgFmvp-rU-DRpOrgiQo8pWQVkYpq2M0CO01Aw8hfnTEzg7q8koUo-XIA2SO5wzdFnG6gifX_CVYeBFUmr2ROj381RcqsLIouhEH_YMR28mUvzQsKfBKBjTBSFggl8kEZLjO4KmGRjWVUc6U0RwCOV0gMIRyRGVgS5g04eBmsp7kqrMVZyhD6eXG2jRpVFv1SUPbJtSxTZnVGFte0ai243f-OdrgMAyZHoDGnRu2WIu4YPRPWI9qU0nku62YqFZcUSXvHRBTsAwY2w7KE6ye-EUUQKTEkA-xOv9__1CDzY2IWWnutSSXirp-cxUfYPH3iCh2At-5y9b3ZM1hgbjueoS2n5vuO1E-K9en_TMxErySFNK14byRBKQ3WJfPxtEj7a9njN0M-ba9MLJTT-IMYRJnA7B9r60gZ=w600

This was taken almost ten years ago, and was before my drill bits were added, but it works great:

pictures-from-saturday-sep-5-022-medium.jpg

Some of my drill bits

I have a number set but the image is not included.
2018-02-14_11.45.20.jpg

Tool Box where bits are kept.
2018-02-14_11.45.28.jpg

Yes we had 5S at work and used it in my own shop before I retired but still use it as much as possible in my shop.

The most important part of our shop drill bit organization is clearly defined "Tanya drill bits" in their own special index, and MY drill bits. Never are the two to be mixed. It is the rule and is enforced...

When I'm sure the potential is high that I'll destroy a bit, I ALWAYS reach for the "Tanya drill bits". Snap it in two and fly across the shop is always a possibility.

Come to think of it, she doesn't really need the index much anymore as, how shall I say, her "selection is limited". AHH, lightbulb! Happy Valentines day honey, look what I got you...

I'm glad that I fit into the average for drill bit and rivet tool handling and storage.
I also keep 2 boxes of drills: The standard fractional drill set, and a 60 pc Numbered drill assortment:
https://www.amazon.com/ATE-Tools-Numbered-Drill-Drilling/dp/B010619DA0
which I replace individual drills that break, get lost etc.
RV's are usually drilled with Number drills, so I also keep several of the often used sizes in the standard length and a few longer ones. #30, #40, #19.
The drill gauge is a 'must have'
I tried to start building with the traditional speed chuck drill bits and air drills, but soon settled on battery drill with hand tightening chuck and standard bits.
Those new Lithium battery drills are small and handy!

I've been working on a project with parts at my home shop and parts at the hangar and routinely move this back and forth as needed. I always use a digital caliper to confirm drill size before drilling. Drill size and tap chart on my phone for easy access when needed. Looks messy, but over the last several years this has worked out great.

drill bits-resized.jpg

It looks like my bench top could serve as a drill index!

Hmm...My bits usually cohabitated in a tray, (aka giant lid of a peanut jar), and I had to use a micrometer to confirm each bit's size once the lettering wore off.
Every time I picked up the micrometer, I muttered, "I REALLY need to make a drill bit rack"....tomorrow...but never did.

These work so well!

Almost wore mine out!

15.jpg

I have two organizers

The first is a box dedicated to drill bits.

It contains that great device above and a number of loose drills. Also has a small indexed box of common drills in the fractional inch category.

Finding the need for Numbered drills i found a piece of 1 x 4 drilled individual bits into it upside down to store there. # 12 # 19 etc. Works well

Sorry no pic.

At the Eagle?s Nest shop in Wisconsin, we deploy the 5 S method of organization. As you can imagine, our organization or more like disorganization is multiplied by a factor of 20 (students). We have every tool labeled with a location. We also have a designated spot for all our parts. We use a database with Van?s Part number, Description, and a picture of the part to help keep track of every rivet, nut, and bolt. We also have our Bins, shelves, and boxes labeled. These labels coordinate with a specific location of a part. Next build (-12is), we plan to amp it up one more level and have bar codes on all parts. The barcodes will also be captured in our database. Yes, we still misplace parts and spend time searching.

Jim

Jim,

You continue to amaze me.

Back