What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing lights

Rob H

Well Known Member
I'm finishing my wing kit and haven't closed the left wing yet. I'm switching to the new iS configuration. I've installed the landing light in the right wing. Does the iS configuration require a landing light in the left wing as well? I noticed that Van's RV12 iS had dual landing lights. I already have wires pulled for the wingtip lights, stall warning, and have decided to install the angle of attack kit. If it's an option, should I install another landing light? I'm not sure it's necessary other than as a "cool" factor. Is there an additional landing light kit available so I can remain ELSA? Thanks Rob

Whether you can remain ELSA is a question for Van's. They can tell you if that feature will be in the 12is plans or will be an option. If so, whether you "should" is entirely up to you. If you're going to be flying as a Sport Pilot, you're not legal for night ops anyway. BUT, the cool factor is definitely there, and having two lights vs. one for visibility in the haze is a plus. There are a number of other discussions to be found in these threads if you use the search. Good luck!

Power supply and VR

Apart from the cool factor. Keep in mind that the electrical power supply of the internal alternator of the ULS is not far from its limit with all options. So adding a second LL will not help much to keep the VR happy.

Here’s a direct quote from the factory's RV-12iS general information web page. It appears in the section that lists available options:

• A lighting package includes strobes, position lights and a landing light(s)
with steady or pulse option.

Sounds like you’ll be fine with either one or two landing lights.

http://vansaircraft.com/public/rv12iS.htm

I'm not sure it's necessary other than as a "cool" factor.

Rob,

My guess is since the much improved RV-12 seen at Oshkosh has a left landing light, you could also install one ... with an OK from Van's just to make sure. If they say no not for the 912ULS version ... not to worry, the second light can be easily be installed at any time.

However, more than just the "cool factor" an additional sync wire can be run between the two landing lights for wig- wag operation. This is accomplished by running a wire from the "master out" on one of the lights to the "slave in" on the other .... doing this will allow the lights to wig-wag when power is applied to the pulse input on the lights. The good news is for 912ULS engines which have somewhat anemic electrical systems, the wig-wag can be accomplished without incurring any additional current drain than a single light would normally draw, because there will always be one light off.

You can run all the wires in advance but not connect them ... you would still be a stock E-LSA then after the 5 hours has been flown off, add the second light and connect the wires and you will have an impossible to miss wig-wag in the pattern.

Do both, to see, and to be seen

I'm building E-AB and installed landing lights in both wings from the beginning with the main reason being additional landing visibility "to see", but also the ability to Wig-Wag for the added "and being seen" aspect.

I'm happy Van's is now adding this to the ELSA kit.

The second landing light was added because of the extra power available with the iS engine (30 Amps vs 18)

It was not added so much as a benefit to night operations, but for safety in being more visible during the day. The two lights are linked with a sync wire so they alternate when flash mode is selected. This is a benefit to Sport Pilots that will never fly at night.

Once the related plans sections have been updated, builders will be eligible to incorporate the changes that are applicable to legacy kits (Instrument panel grab handle, new style canopy latch, stabilator tips, etc). If you are not building an iS version, a second landing light wont be approved.

I put two LL on mine, just so I can "wig'wag" them for visibility during daylight! Not only adds to visibility, it looks cool as well!

Scott, I've just completed the wiring of the lighting package on the RIGHT wing including LL and tip beacon. I'm switching to the iS configuration. Will I need additional wires pulled to accomplish the wig wag after Van's finishes the updated plans? I left a pull string, but space is pretty tight through the grommets. Also, I haven't closed up the LEFT wing yet. Should I wait to make wiring easier before I finish the skins? Obviously, Van's would probably need to come out with a left wing LL kit for builders like me that have the original wing lighting kit? Is there a time estimate for these updates? I want to build ELSA, so I will wait. Thanks to all!

I'm in the same boat, except I have my wings all closed out. I called Vans on Friday and talked with Sterling and yes, you will need an extra Sync wire ran between the two Landing lights. So, yes we will need to run a additional wire on each wing. I was not able to find out which pin slot to put in the wing connector. (will have to wait for the final plans) I will just leave the pins out and not insert them in the inboard wing connector. Here is link to the Aero LED Website for the wiring on the light side.
http://aeroleds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/01-2120-Aerosun-Installation-Rev-A.pdf

It does get a bit tight in the grommets in the ribs. Rather than maybe lose a string tied to a wire, I chose to just solder TWO wires on one that is there, and pull the two thru giving you the extra sync wire. A bit of shrink tubing over the solder joint will let them pull thru fairly easily.

Ok, I looked at my right wing, the one that I've closed up. It looks like I can access the pull string by opening up the landing light lens and removing the landing light to make the connection of the additional wire. I know when I installed the LL, it was a very tight fit getting the LL and lens into place and I made the job easier by installing through the wing tip which I hadn't installed at that point. I have a feeling that I'll need to trim my lens and/or the hole in the leading edge of the wing in order to reinstall. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced problems removing the LL? Otherwise, an access hole would need to be cut underneath (don't want that). Hopefully Van's will have updated plans and a sub kit soon for installing the second LL and additional wiring. Thanks for the help!

Back