What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !

FrankK90989

Well Known Member
I thought there should be a panel thread for the "9's" too
img0516nm3.jpg

This is mine, simple but it works for me and there's room for more.
Notce the bumps I installed on the rudder peddals, brought them out 3/4 of a inch. "Keeps me toes off the brakes"
24.5hrs (almost out of prison!) :)

Last edited:
Planned panel...

Here is the panel plan I am working on...buying bits and pieces as I go...I'm trying to fit everything into a standard panel height. I like a little legroom on my XC!

Estimated $$ 19k and change FYI

clean and neat

Hi Frank

Nice, really nice. Clean and neat. I like the rudder bars too. ;)

Last edited:
Nice minimalist panel. My RV-7 will be very similar to yours but with a single FlightDEK-180 on the pilot side. I'll substitute a Motion LS800 (or whatever is hot in 3 years) for the Axim.

Excellent job!

Nice panel Frank!! Clean and neat but with all the necessary items.

BTW, how did you make the caps for the drafty Vans vents?? My wife does not like the near free flow of cold air thru my vents when closed.

Best Wishes,

db

vent caps

db1yg said:
BTW, how did you make the caps for the drafty Vans vents?? My wife does not like the near free flow of cold air thru my vents when closed.db

Yes, I immediately asked myself the same question. The caps look like aspirin bottle caps but I'd like to know the secret so my freeze ball wife won't complain.

caps

I turned them on my old trusty Atlas lathe from some uhmw stock I found at a rummage sale.
But the chase still goes on ---the vents still leak a bit at the seam where it screws together. I think it would have best to buy the good ones.

Show us your RV-9 instrument panel

No sticky for the RV-9 / 9A panels so the 7 thread will have to do. Fixed that :D MJS

zt6k3q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dereck.....starting from left to right would you describe what your avionics are?
Hard to see enough detail to know for sure make/model.

Jim
Rv9a

Dereck.....starting from left to right would you describe what your avionics are?
Hard to see enough detail to know for sure make/model. Jim Rv9a

Jimbo, As follows: Trio Pro Pilot GX Pro, Garmin G3X's (x2), Garmin Aera 500, PS Engineering PAR100EX (audio panel with integral comm radio set up as comm2 & bluetooth music & phone), Garmin SL30, Garmin GMC 305 (optional autopilot controller). The transponder is a Garmin GTX 23ES remote mounted under the panel and the ADS-B is a Garmin GDL 39R remote mounted behind the panel as well. The ELT is an ACK E-04 remote mounted behind the baggage bulkhead. I have four DeltaPop antennas on the belly of the fuse for Comm1, Comm2, Transponder & ADS-B and one bob archer Nav antenna in the right wingtip. IPad 2 is mounted via a "Ram mount" ball swivel fastened to the panel.

I dont think I'll get lost:rolleyes: The panel & firewall forward wiring has been the most educative and enjoyable part of the build for me. Now i just need to finish this baby before all of this looks like an ADF receiver:eek:

2czr2mg.jpg

2eeza7c.jpg

15yesp.jpg

panel

Hello all,
I am in the final stages of building my 9A. I would love to display my panel, but unfortunately even though the instructions to upload pictures are there, I have not been able to manage it.
On another subject, my flap motor does not stop with the flaps fully down
I cannot find any instructions anywhere, does anyone have any suggestions?

Panel complete

I finished the plane in October but held off on installing the GTN650 until last week. Now that the panel is finished I thought I could post a picture or two.
All Garmin. A joy to fly behind.

Under glareshield LED ligths turned on.
24xnjp1.jpg

2je8t8j.jpg

Difficult to get a good shot with a dark hanger and dark panel.

Poor man's panel upgrade!

It's hard to beat the "bang for the buck" that you get by adding a couple of iPads to a 12 year old RV-6!!!

28kkawj.jpg

How are the iPad's mounted?

The iPads are mounted using "RAM" mounts that are attached to the deck between the roll bar and the panel. The result is very secure. I don't even remove them for mild acro. (Actually, I normally only use one iPad, the one on the pilot side.) Previously I had used the iPad on a knee pad and this is a huge, huge improvement.

Dual Dynon SkyView GTN-650 and AERA GPS

I purchased a flying 9A in July 2012. The former owner had upgraded the panel to nearly this configuration, but with an old transponder and ICOM radio.

I have since removed the old transponder and ICOM radio, and added the Dynon ADSB receiver, remote Mode S transponder and GTN-650. Having the full In/Out ADSB package from Dynon has been fantastic. It really is a huge benefit while flying in Los Angeles busy airspace, but the reality is, it is an important safety factor every time you fly. I added the GTN-650 mainly for IFR training. The radio in the GTN has worked great, and the touchscreen for punching in new frequencies is very convenient. The Aera GPS is now mostly a backup device, since it has its own battery. I still use it for a few things.

I am working to convert to the Dynon roll servo, so I still have the Tru-Trak installed, and it works fine. I do have the Dynon pitch servo installed. I have my Sennheizer noise cancelling headset wired into the panel for power on the LEMO connector. Since I did not have an audio panel, I am using a Flight Data Systems AP-60 audio mixer to combine all the audio signals.

The former owner also installed several items from TCW technologies. I have the Smart Start for one button starting, Safety Trim for the elevator trim control, and the Intelligent Flap controller. I really like this because I have three preset flap positions. When I hit the switch the flaps move automatically and stop at 10,20 and 30 degrees. I have also upgraded the ELT to a triple frequency with GPS input model.

I lucked out with this airplane, as the former owner put in a lot of time and did a nice job with the panel. I have tried to build on that. The airplane when purchased had 190 hours on it, and I now have 490 hours on it, so there has not been much down time. I have more projects in mind, but this is a very capable airplane, and it should be good for IFR training this Summer.
redir

updated panel

Bought a ram mount today for the Mini

Here are the part numbers: RAM-HOL-AP14U, (2) RAm-B-238U, Ram-B-201U $40.00 total from mypilotstore.com

6jn7dg.jpg

2llephc.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a ram mount today for the Mini

Here are the part numbers: RAM-HOL-AP14U, (2) RAm-B-238U, Ram-B-201U $40.00 total from mypilotstore.com

6jn7dg.jpg

2llephc.jpg

When can we have a party at Newport RI? We have to talk how to get in the air that 9 faster Al. We are so outnumbered here in the Northeast. :)

Looks good very good that mini mount.

Hi Vlad

Actually, this summer I'm planning the first
KUUU fly in/ sail. Or better yet maybe we can all
meet at KBID. Could be a weekend/ overnight thing.
Now we're talking some fun!

Love the Wood!!!

Hi Al.

the panel is gorgeous. Mind sharing some details about the construction and finish?

Congrats.

Gordon

Wood and finish

Sure. The wood is a self adhesive peel-n-stick mahogany
veneer I purchased online at: http://www.constantines.com/peel-n-stick.aspx

I first cut out my panel. Rivet the angle on the top. At room temp and a warm panel, I scuffed the panel with a scotch brite pad, cleaned well with Acetone/naphtha/ etc. Peeled and stuck it down while clamping down the rolled
bottom edge. Let it set up in room temp overnight. Cut out the holes with a razor. Sanded with 120 then 220. Two or three coats of Polyurethane brush on satin finish with a light 220 sand between coats.

It was very easy to do using the stick on Veneer. Constantine sells
Some very nice veneer. I would highly recommend the peel-n-stick.

Last edited:
low budget IFR

Pulled my panel to install Val Avionics new Nav2000 radio (center of stack). This is a nice little low cost nav radio that retails for around $1200, and talks to the Dynon D100 through the H34 unit. Everything just barely fit in the stack, now to fire it up and see if any smoke escapes.

IMG_5711.jpg

I still need to calibrate everything and check out all the functions, but it's complete and powered up, no smoke! :D

IMG_0679_zps503229e4.jpg

congrats!

Greg, with a panel like that, u r ready for almost anything. Excellent work. It doesn't get any better.

Panel

Hello Greg,

Your panel looks great! How did the Aux Tanks turn out? I'm still looking into doing something similar to yours.

Very simple

Below is my panel as of last night. I powered it up for the first time and started some configuration. I'm not sure I like the color yet but since I had planned to replace each panel with carbon fiber eventually I think I will let it go for now. As the title suggests it's pretty simple. I have a GTR-20 remote comm mounted behind the panel, remote transponder, GDL-39R mounted under the baggage floor panels, and of course since you see no breakers I have the VPX mounted behind the panel as well.

The empty space is waiting for my GRT Mini-X to be delivered and the open space under the GPS-400 is for the GMC-305 Garmin AP controller...eventually.

2014-06-29+18.35.10.jpg

My upgrade

Went from this....
nyurh2.jpg

to this....(g3x touch, gtn650, dynon d60, T/T Vision 385, KLX 155 with 209 cdi. I also use iFly 720 with skyguard wtx ads-b in/out)
14xe368.jpg

Failing 89B in original panel, prompted me to go mostly new. I satisfied. I have all summer to gain my IFR ticket. Pretty excited!
(used tiny pics for uploading. don't know how to make it come out smaller)

Last edited:
My upgrade

Went from this....
nyurh2.jpg

to this....(g3x touch, gtn650, dynon d60, T/T Vision 385, KLX 155 with 209 cdi. I also use iFly 720 with skyguard wtx ads-b in/out)
14xe368.jpg

Failing 89B in original panel, prompted me to go mostly new. I'm satisfied. I have all summer to gain my IFR ticket. Pretty excited! (My design, Steinair cut panels, Eagle Avionics Columbus IN did wiring and install. My butt is the test pilot!)

Last edited:
Sweet update

Dr. Max,
Are you interested in selling your old stuff?

I've got my eye on your panel mounted GPS as well as your ILS needles.

Daddyman
N262 DF
Dues paid

Nice job integrating new glass with elements from old panel! Symmetrical, elegant and functional. Very nice five two yankee I like it!

Nice job integrating new glass with elements from old panel! Symmetrical, elegant and functional. Very nice five two yankee I like it!
Thank you kindly! Many months thinking, changing, thinking, changing ;). Started planning March of this year. Quiet a handful!

Dr. Max,
Are you interested in selling your old stuff?

I've got my eye on your panel mounted GPS as well as your ILS needles.

Daddyman
N262 DF
Dues paid
it is advertised under my name. No ils as its mounted in my new pnl. Plz read my advertisement carefully. I sent u pm. Thx for interest. Dm

Very clean....nice job! How do you like your iFly? I'm considering it as backup GPS for the GRT internal system.
I love the iFly 720. Very easy to use. Very dependable. Company always keeping up with technology and passes it to us. I haven't flown maybe 2 hrs on new pnl. Finishing conditional, installing to eng baffling, installing robins carb heat, replacing nose gear bolt. Bout done with all! Darn haven't even been hangar flying! New gear will take some tweaking. Complex. Lots to learn. Thank you for the "nice job"

My 9A - 194HW

I don't post very often, (but always contribute to this great website) and have reached a milestone with completion of my panel. Equipment Includes GRT 10.4" HXr and EIS, GTN 650, PMA 450 Audio Panel, AOA pro, Trutrak Vizion A/P, GNC-255A Nav/Com and remote TT22 Transponder. Wiring Architecture includes backup 20A alternator as endurance buss, with Dual P-mags for the IO-360. Many thanks to SteinAir and Mike Gleason for all of their input. They are terrific!

1julvs.jpg

Looks nice Jim! (and def not cheap) You and me think quiet a bit alike. Did u see my pnl? Looks like would be doing some ifr like me. DM

IFR in My Future

Yes, Drmax, now that I am retired, this is on my bucket list, along with finishing this 9A! Has been fun laying out the panel and options.

Back