What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto Overhaul?

avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Hey Everybody!
I now have 470 hrs on my slick mags and four years (came new with new engine). I have read many older threads regarding mag maintenance, IRAN, overhaul, replacement, etc. Was wondering if folks would be kind enough to provide opinions regarding best way go. I plan to at the least do an IRAN when I hit 500 hrs but was wondering if most people just went ahead and actually did an overhaul. I have watched Mike Busch"s EAA presentation of mag maintenance and am aware of his recommendation for IRAN as opposed to true overhaul.
Was also wondering if folks would comment on which shop they used to have either an IRAN or overhaul and what the cost was per mag.
As always thanks for your advice!

Peter K
Moving back to Charlotte NC this July!
9A-470 hrs

If you have Slick 4300 Series magnetos, there is a 500 hour inspection. The manual that covers this is L-1363 Rev F or later. The inspection requires the use of special tools available from Slick (about $350). The breaker points typically show signs of pitting at 500 hrs, so plan on $50 a piece for new ones.

Had to do the same thing two years ago. I removed the Magneto, sold it and installed a PMag. Meanwhile the second PMag running.
Much smoooooother!

I had my 4300 series magnetos inspected and repaired by these folks: http://www.aircraftmagnetoservice.net/
Very honest folks to deal with and a fast turnaround. IIRC, mine came in under $800 for both and a bunch of parts in addition to points were replaced.

Aircraft Magneto Service

Second for Aircraft Magneto Service. They do great work, and do it quickly.

I have an LSE on one side, and a Slick on the other. When I burn thru both of the mags I have (1000 hours from now) you can bet neither will be rebuilt and I'll be buying a PMAG.

did both of my slicks this month at lantana. $375 /mag flat rate IRAN. a bunch of parts replaced including the points. :)

Back