What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to make decisions?

mciaglia

Well Known Member
As the fuselage begins to progress and I am nearing the infamous chapter 29. I am beginning to have that overwhelming feeling of a huge amount of decisions to make.

Are any of these necessary now?

For example, I am getting ready to mount the firewall assembly to the lower fuse skin. Can I omit the fuel pump mount, filter mount and the transducer mount? I don't know what I am planning on installing and would prefer to not have unnecessary mounts in the way that may need to be removed.

I have decided on Garmin so I purchased the autopilot mounts (roll, pitch and yes a plunked down that ridiculous amount for the yaw damper mount) but haven't figured out wiring and connectors.

One piece of advice I got at OSH was try and build the whole plane then begin to do the work of outfitting the airframe. Is that feasible?

Thanks in adance

IMO there's nothing system wise that "has" to be mounted at a given time. Having said that, there are certain points in the build that are definitely more optimal (ie makes it easier) to install a given system. Generally that's when the plans say to install them. So it won't be end of the world if you hold off, just understand that it might be way more difficult if you wait--it's a trade off.

The mounts you mentioned are easy to access, so they are deferrable.

The advice you received at Oshkosh was good to a point. There will come a time when you need to pull wires and install systems and avionics in the fuselage. I'm of the belief that it is better to do those things before you mount the gear and engine. It'll save you a bunch of effort climbing in and out

NO PROBLEM!

....apparently Dr. Mark is NOT married....

or he'd know when to make decisions.

it's when you wife TELLS you that it's time!

( added bonus, you are told WHAT to decide, AND the outcome!)

:)

ok not wife bashing, just some fun!

( my wife told me to say that!) :rolleyes:

Perry,

Ha Ha

My wife is a red headed Sicilian from Staten Island, NY. So I am not used to making ANY decisions. Hence the overwhelming fear of making several regarding the plane!!!

;)

Decisions are an ongoing process

+1 for Todd

IMHO it is a lot easier to install items when the structure is open and easy to access. Just remember, everything you install will at some time need to be serviced. It is real easy to build yourself into a corner where maintenance access is painful at best...

Start a list of "need to haves, wanna haves, and gee it would be cool if"... Come back to it occasionally and rethink priorities, costs, time to build etc.. Read build logs. Fly some trips in your imagination. Ask what annoys you the most about what you presently fly and how you might address it.

A plan will slowly emerge.

All great advice, I guess I have been doing what everyone suggested. I have been putting together the list , now just need to figure how/when to implement. I must say everyone's build logs have been tremendously helpful.

Survived the hurricane here without any damage to family, home, hanger or airplanes. There are many other folks who can't say the same. I am very fortunate

I've seen a "rotisserie" referred to on the forum several times and offered to others when someone was finished with it. I assume that is one or two tower structures with a tube parallel to the ground into which a shaft perpendicularity to the firewall is inserted so one can spin the fuse on it's horizontal axis?

If that is correct have any of you had experiences with one of these? An off the shelf automotive engine stand would work well for this application I would think.

A second tower attaching to the stabilizer mouning hard point is probably a good idea as well.

Back