What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon roll servo install.

salto

Well Known Member
Fitting the roll servo today and found that the kit supplied servo mount and the servo limiting bracket are not compatible. The limiting bracket stop interferes with the molex receptacle. I changed it out with the dynon install kit bracket which has no plug receptacle which means I'll have to secure the harness by another method. I could cut off the stop closest to the molex plug and let the plug act as the overrun stop.. Don't really like that idea... Don't really have any more ideas... How did others deal with this issue.?

I very seldom use the servo limiting brackets. I just make absolutely sure that the servo travel doesn't get close to the point where it could go over center, even with substantial force on the bracket by hand. The servos should not travel past 120 degrees total rotation with a normal arm (no capstan or linear actuator). That leaves at least 30 degrees from center on both ends.

As for the wires, I just tie them out of the way so the moving control parts can't get close to them. I never use molex. I much prefer D-sub, but that is personal preference.

How did others deal with this issue.?

Like Jesse said, don't install the stop bracket.
The plans don't specify to use it , so if you do, you will have to make plans for other aspects of the installation.
If properly installed, it is impossible for the servo to ever get close to going over center.

I was an early beta tester for Dynon's Autopilot and did not install the limiter device.

At least until one day when I hit the AP test while on the ground. I bent the tab you add to the bell crank and the bent tab let the servo go over center and jam the ailerons.

Had I hit a hard bump in flight the same thing might have happened and I would have been killed.

Install the limiter and if it doesn't fit, call Dynon and ask them for the correct one, and install that.

view

I don't know if this picture will work but it shows how I secured the AP molex plugs in the wing.
Used the dynon supplied bracket and then modified quite easily the kit supplied bracket.
It allowed me to leave the 'over run' bracket in place.

Back