What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is in the empanadas kit?

Caddy1820

I am considering having a tail kit sent to me in okinawa Japan. Space and shipping are concerns. So could somebody tell me does the tail kit have the back half of the fuselage or is it just the vertical and horizontal surfaces. I am thinking maybe I can just get started on the rudder, elevator, ailerons and flaps as they are all smaller. Yes I have looked at the vans website to get crate specific information. Thanks for the info gents.

Horizontal and vertical stabilisers, rudder and elevators, all fasteners and rivets plus the tailcone, so it makes for a big ish box.

Lots to get on with though :D

Problem would be shipping a tailcone if you needed to when assembled - very flimsy. May be worth speaking with Barb and paying a little extra to split the contents if you are coming back to US - obviously, if you are staying, you will need it all.

FWIW this is what a typical empanada kit contains:

empanada-filling.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Last edited:
I am considering having a tail kit sent to me in okinawa Japan. Space and shipping are concerns. So could somebody tell me does the tail kit have the back half of the fuselage or is it just the vertical and horizontal surfaces. I am thinking maybe I can just get started on the rudder, elevator, ailerons and flaps as they are all smaller. Yes I have looked at the vans website to get crate specific information. Thanks for the info gents.
Hello Eric,
Steve here from Oklahoma. I see you are deciding to get started on the 14 kit. Hope it all works out for you. Keep in touch when you make it back to the states.

Oh yeah, I love empanadas too. Can't wait to try your recipe out someday! LOL

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, turns out there is a guy here in my squadron building an Rv-7 so I started helping him out and trying to figure out up from down. Still impressed with how friendly and helpful this community. If only autocorrect were that helpful :)

Back