What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing Pitot and AOA tubing

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Hi All Routing Pitot and AOA tubing through the wing root. There is a hole low down, below the aileron push rod hole, to run wires but no hole for the Pitot and AOA. My thoughts are to drill two holes, observing edge distance, forward of the aileron push rod hole and the spar about 3" up from the bottom. How have others done this? Any pics would be great.

I can't speak specifically for the RV-9 version of the cloud tinnie (and I know the rib design is a little different), but in the -7 version, the general concensus is to drill two additional holes of 3/8" diameter for SB375-4, one above and one below the existing tooling hole on the forward edge of the rib (in addition of course the conduit running from root to tip). The existing tooling hole in the -7 is 7/16", so you leave that as is and use an SB437-4.
Keep any bushing holes as small as you can and watch your edge distances and you'll be right. You'll also need to fab up a bracket to run the tubes under the bell crank, but you'll find plenty of examples of this on builders logs (just use google image search and find one you like). Be sure to drill three holes for snap bushings on both wings, as you'd be surprised how the wiring tends to add up. In the left wing these snap bushings will carry the AoA, Pitot and pitot heat (if you choose to install it) and on the right wing the autopilot (which may need to be split between two bushings) and temperature probe. Many place the OAT probe on or near the inboard inspection bay as it keeps it outside the reach of engine heat and out of radiant heating. It's just a lot easier to drill the snap bushing holes now rather than later if you ever choose to add more equipment.
Further info can be found on the Van's pdf, however it doesn't address the three holes on the forward edge of the rib.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_Wiring.pdf
Good luck.
Tom.

There are some photos of my AOA/Pitot routing in this gallery.

The tubing turn from against the spar to under the aileron control tub is pretty tight, so be warned. It keeps everything clear of the controls, but the routing could be done better if you know this ahead of time. I would probably try to better align these if I were to do it again.

Thanks Bruce, I'll probably follow the same route as you have. I have 90 degree elbows like the Safeair types.90 degrees out of the wing and 90 degrees into the fuse and connect it all up under the port floor.

Back