What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert dual mag to single mag

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
My engine is a 6D version - single drive, dual mag. I am curious if anyone knows of a conversion kit that will replace the dual mag with a single. Since I already have electronic ignition, I don?t need two. Sort of having second thoughts about an all-electric airplane. I know it sounds like belt & suspenders, but I think maybe I might feel better if I have at least one dinosaur mag on board. Replacing the accessory case is a non-starter.

My engine is a 6D version - single drive, dual mag. I am curious if anyone knows of a conversion kit that will replace the dual mag with a single. Since I already have electronic ignition, I don?t need two. Sort of having second thoughts about an all-electric airplane. I know it sounds like belt & suspenders, but I think maybe I might feel better if I have at least one dinosaur mag on board. Replacing the accessory case is a non-starter.

Perhaps a call to Knots2U may be in order. My highlight below.

This is on their web site for ElectroAir certified ignition stuff.

16. My engine has a dual magneto, how do I adapt my engine to use the EIS?
EXPERIMENTAL ONLY! We use a split ring collar on the crank shaft for the electronic ignition timing pick-up. There are some single magnetos that will adapt to the dual mag hole, or alternatively you can operate two electronic ignition systems. Call us and we?ll review the details.

http://www.knots2u.net/electronic-i...mpulse-coupled-magneto-replacement-eis-41000/

I had bought a bendix single mag converted to the Dual mag drive from AeroSport Power. I'm unsure of the parts actually changed.
Chris

It's all in the archives

If you're willing to dig into this very forum, you can find part numbers of all the parts required. In a nutshell, there is (1) Bendix mag that works, but you have to transfer the original Dual-Mag impulse coupling/gear to the new Bendix (single) mag.

Back