What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

another RV-3 First Flight!

Math-N338

Hello RV friends!
I´m very proud to say that my RV-3B Serial 405 Registered at PH-KLT has done its first flight today at 16:09 UTC.:D
everything worked out fine, speeds are as expected, **** of a climb rate .
superb to fly!
Landing was good until i was at taxi speed, the the gear began to to bounce fore and aft until about walking speed :confused:
here are some pic´s of today´s first flight!
Taxi to the runway

Lift off

climb out
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...156889207703752.32937.100001480212918&theater
after landing

Here the link to the youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHH7WAIRhuc

Tailwinds
Math

Ps thanks for your help with the pic´s N51P

Last edited:
For the FB challenged

209346_156889267703746_100001480212918_348939_6133261_o.jpg

Taxi to first flight EDEW 29.03.2011 16:09
UTC

194407_156889241037082_100001480212918_348937_6634383_o.jpg

Lift off at 75 mph

191809_156889217703751_100001480212918_348936_6210970_o.jpg

climb out 100 mph 2500 feet/min.

196907_156889257703747_100001480212918_348938_6373538_n.jpg

taxi back after first flight :)

Last edited:
RV-3

Congratulations on the build and first flight, It is a real feel good day.

I now have 48 hours on mine and still have the gear shake.

Perry
RV-3 N815PT

New flying RV

Mathias,
Very nice! Congratulations on completing the building and the PAPERWORK! :D
I have no doubt the airplane will live up to your expectations and that you will find vansairforce to be very helpful in sorting out the wheel shimmy. The search tool is your friend!

best regards
Stan

YES - I am very happy for you!!

Mathias,

being ?brothers in arms? on the Dutch registration I am glad it worked out!!

Congratulations over the voice message I left with you mobile today again and let?s meet up half way sooner or later - are you going to Damme?

Best, Heinz

gear shimmy ...

... ring me as a similiar prob could be solved on the RV-7 at my homebase.

Heinz

golden area of flight ...

that is what you will think if you see this video of Math?s RV-3b 1st flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHH7WAIRhuc

Folks, with this RV-thing and it?s community we all have someting going here wich is extraordinary - let?s not forget this and I must say I am very grateful of being a part of it.

Heinz

Congratulations !

but what is with the Dutch registration but flying out of German airfield ?

David

Q is for Heinz !

Last edited:
Nice video

Gives me chills to watch. Such a tiny machine and such a dramatic take-off. I can't wait to fly our -3!

That is magnificent - congratualtions! Like Louise, I can hardly wait for our's to be finished!

Dutch registration but flying out of German airfield

David,

re ?but what is with the Dutch registration but flying out of German airfield ??: with that registration you can fly in every of the so called ECAC states (that is from Albania to Zyprus - so from A to Z - lol) however Germany is included for sure.

Best, Heinz

David,

re ?but what is with the Dutch registration but flying out of German airfield ??: with that registration you can fly in every of the so called ECAC states (that is from Albania to Zyprus - so from A to Z - lol) however Germany is included for sure.

Best, Heinz

First of all congratulations and well done Mathias. My wish is to build an RV-3B and I even have an empenage kit. However as there has not been an RV-3 built and flown in Switzerland, if I choose to continue building in Switzerland I will be waiting for an extra year on getting Swiss approvals. So, therefore a few questions to both Math and Heinz:

1. Did you both complete your respective RV kits outside of The Netherlands?
  2. How easy is it to build an aircraft that is registered in The Netherlands in another country such as Switzerland?
  3. Can you supply me with contact details about registering an experimental aircraft project in The Netherlands?

Thanks in advance guys.

Gear leg shimmy

I find that high tire pressure will increase shimmy.......what pressure are your main tires?
If my tire pressure is above 18 psi in my 3 , the gear legs will shimmy on high speed taxi or on landing as I am slowing down...but about the same speed either way. I've got wood on the gear legs too. Now I check the tire pressure before every flight and keep it at 18 and the result is no shimmy. Try it, you'll like it!

Last edited:
Again good job

Hows the other 3 coming, as I said when you picked up the planes here in Louisiana I would love to come to Germany and fly the plane!

Gear leg shimmy

I find that high tire pressure will increase shimmy.......what pressure are your main tires?
If my tire pressure is above 18 psi in my 3 , the gear legs will shimmy on high speed taxi or on landing as I am slowing down...but about the same speed either way. I've got wood on the gear legs too. Now I check the tire pressure before every flight and keep it at 18 and the result is no shimmy. Try it, you'll like it!

I originally used 18 to 22 psi tire pressure to control the gear leg shimmy which occurred around walking speed.

I balanced the wheel pants and could then use 30 psi without any gear leg shimmy. It took about 1/4 lb. (120 grams?) of lead shot in epoxy as a slurry which was poured into the nose of each wheel pant. This balanced the wheel pant forward of the wheel axle.

We are in the process of assembling RV-3 N51RV after 18 years of storage. I had to add at least 1/2 lb. of lead shot in the nose of each wheel pant because of the weight of a fiberglass wall that had been added in the back of the wheel pant.

It helps to balance the wheel and tire assembly, also.

Just as a point of trivia, my RV-3 N47RV certification was used to certify the first RV in Holland. As I remember, the first RV certified there was a RV-4. Around 1988 or 1989.

Regards,
Jim Ayers
RV-3A N47RV serial number 50 - LOM M332A engine MT CS propeller

Wheel Balance

sorry i was not able to look into the posts,
i tryed to manage the tire pressure from 16 to 38 psi no change! :(
the i started to detach all the stuff from the gear and found the stiffners around the gear loose, so i have fixed that, but i don?t have the time to make a test roll right now, i?ll ceep updated my progress!

David i would be happy to see you over here, ceep in touch about a visit!:D
what is your six doing?

tailwinds
Math

sent you a PM

First of all congratulations and well done Mathias. My wish is to build an RV-3B and I even have an empenage kit. However as there has not been an RV-3 built and flown in Switzerland, if I choose to continue building in Switzerland I will be waiting for an extra year on getting Swiss approvals. So, therefore a few questions to both Math and Heinz:

1. Did you both complete your respective RV kits outside of The Netherlands?
  2. How easy is it to build an aircraft that is registered in The Netherlands in another country such as Switzerland?
  3. Can you supply me with contact details about registering an experimental aircraft project in The Netherlands?

Thanks in advance guys.

I have sent you a PM with my phone number so just give me a ring - I away until 26. April though.

Heinz

Back