What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Tip Fairings

shanecfi

We are getting close to attaching the Empennage fairings. I know the Wing Tips are attached with screws and nut plates. I have even seen people attach the tips with piano hinges. That is probably not the approach we will take. My concern with the Elevator Tip Fairings is for inspections, even pre-flight, after completion. The plans have the Elevator Tip Fairings riveted on with CS4-4 pulled rivets. The nuts that hold the Elevator counter balances are inside of that fairing. Without removing that fairing you can not inspect those nuts/bolts. I am not comfortable with deviating from the plans that people with so much more experience and knowledge in such matters than me, have put together.

Ok enough ramble has anyone used a different method to attach the Elevator Fairings? Such as nut plates and screws. Or is my concern for loosening nuts on the counter weights for naught?

The nuts will stick out into the Elevator/Stabilizer gap if the bolts are put in from the other direction, without countersinking the weights, which removes weight. Even though that would be a small amount of weight.

Thanks in advance.

If you are worried about the weights coming loose you can add a layer of adhesive or tank sealant to them and then red locktite or just put another blob of sealant over the nuts after you torque them down.

We are getting close to attaching the Empennage fairings. I know the Wing Tips are attached with screws and nut plates. I have even seen people attach the tips with piano hinges. That is probably not the approach we will take. My concern with the Elevator Tip Fairings is for inspections, even pre-flight, after completion. The plans have the Elevator Tip Fairings riveted on with CS4-4 pulled rivets. The nuts that hold the Elevator counter balances are inside of that fairing. Without removing that fairing you can not inspect those nuts/bolts. I am not comfortable with deviating from the plans that people with so much more experience and knowledge in such matters than me, have put together.

Ok enough ramble has anyone used a different method to attach the Elevator Fairings? Such as nut plates and screws. Or is my concern for loosening nuts on the counter weights for naught?

The nuts will stick out into the Elevator/Stabilizer gap if the bolts are put in from the other direction, without countersinking the weights, which removes weight. Even though that would be a small amount of weight.

Thanks in advance.

You can put on a plate with nut plates for the inaccessible side. I checked the torque/load acceptance of the lead and was not happy with it. I added larger washers under the head, and plates with washers under the hidden end. You may need to make a custom washer to avoid too much bolt head projection. That was the only way to reach proper torque. Also, I put a generous bedding of proseal on the hidden end too. Walt recommended for the early 7's. I am picky but used the pull rivets and glue to attach elevator ends. 3/32" CS rivets.

One note - you may want to consider what you will be doing for balance if you will fly and then paint the elevators. I balanced mine with an additional of an aft weight representing the expected paint moment. The elevators were hung with a string, and used a bubble level to determine balance position. String balance is the only way I would recommend (after trying several methods).

Shane, I had the same concern. I did the elevator tips just like the wing tips, with #6 nutplates and screws. Makes changing the balance weights, like after painting, much more straightforward

For those of you with painted RV-14s, has anyone found it necessary to add more weight than what is provided by Vans? I did have to add weight on my 8A left elevator (the one with the trim tab) after painting as the stock weight wasn't adequate. Was hoping this wouldn't be necessary on the -14.

It is better to be too heavy, within reason, then light. Add some extra balance before paint and then it is an easy matter to drill a few holes in the exposed lead to get a balance if required. The holes can be filled with micro balloons and resin.

Fairing

Hey all, thanks for all the good advice. I was certain I would get many answers quickly here and I did!

Thanks again!

Back