What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail Dragger vs Nose Dragger

ReaganJ00

I'm New Here
I was thinking if there were to identical planes one tail dragger and one nose dragger wouldn't the tail dragger be faster since the nose dragger would have wheel pants??

In an all-else-equal world, yes. There's also a nose gear leg and fairing involved, of course. And it should be noted that there are many other factors and variables that will affect top speed.

Van's numbers tell the story. For example. look at the published performance numbers for the -8 and -8A:

http://vansaircraft.com/public/rv8perf.htm

Here we go.

Popcorn, check.
Guinness, check.
Beach chair, check.
Suntan lotion, check.

But the cool factor is worth at least another 2 mph.

I was wondering when this thread was going to begin getting replies.

I have been asking myself a similar question.

Which is better... Blondes or brunettes?

...the answer still eludes me!

;) CJ

...back to my condition inspection now! :p

;) CJ

I like the topic. Get that inspection done and lead me some place. Us with training wheel need a TDer to lead. :D

Rangeley2017%20-%201%2011.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I was wondering when this thread was going to begin getting replies.

I have been asking myself a similar question.

;) CJ

How about redheads?

rv-6f_land.jpg

I am the dad building the -12 with this young man. He offered up this question during our rivet pulling party last night. I told him there is only one way to get the true answer and prompt a great discussion...

Post it on VAF. See what the masses have to say. As we suspected, blondes are better and tail draggers are faster.

g94Z6ip4Ofyi7gKfvJH74FppDLQIWM4-d3OOjCt7ee8XmqjYVYb3JKAV8J_sbfVUUre-KzKO5AcO7Iy9eU8pYKuxfUtlhqxcTFPNrZrJdVypudwi4LQLfjwRemagqKNgFpyG5Qfhwp31bDNMRPOKxmjT7J8OihWntBrL1pzRO_BwHD8LDy2fTkDXnLzmt2mtOO3qoqBls9E0yzJpjaxDZ4upWLGTbE6pfPflSJgZd8Z_ux3YTnMWg0KvH4PP_wlN1CSAVUSJ_0i8W63Himjvvgk8mWPgFJMrTTcj-7hGccXJSRW0iY0ctVp9LU1MNVQ3Brlymz1UrBBNyzRLKx-lqFITPIzpbwXJXGDytLfKq1AzDOlMXbloqF_nK6U0ioeNXUcHOutZs12PhZuqSdD_yJZls_2Zu1ywRXqNsgwcn2BYnqjbbiBpuhSFoIuLkL_Y464Hd__lrLWWXx03lKM7hDdTlhfoI0KtJc_z9fndAV_bRcgm6I-mjLORQ7NUN37hKT4xushywEVpOXJMCW8-OPQ5plqDAfYXoJtDTvnHoJc_FyEIqjK9O3b17H3MJGDbHq7FRwxpZZmEbac3cDMzEtSUByajq4iLdJ1uHdwPF8tUOHQtph5x=w699-h931-no

Back