What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 36-11 control stick base

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm finding that the an4-37a bolts I was supplied won't fit thru the attachment tubing running thru the cs0007 control stick bases. On one the threaded end will start but the unthreaded part can't fit. On the other no part will fit.

Anyone else had this problem? I don't have good tools for reaming this out.

Suggestions? It's all match drilled tonthe stick now so I'm hoping it isn't get another part that has this right?

Now I'm answering my own self! I figured what the he'll and ran a 1/4 bit thru it in the drill press. Seems a good fit now.

Moving to next steps I've installed the sticks in the stick holders. The left stick is a good fit with no wiggle. The right stick has too much play in its socket. The holes are drilled well it's just that the bore of the socket is quite a bit larger than the stick. What can be done to improve the fit? A thin sleeve of some kind? A shim?

Moving to next steps I've installed the sticks in the stick holders. The left stick is a good fit with no wiggle. The right stick has too much play in its socket. The holes are drilled well it's just that the bore of the socket is quite a bit larger than the stick. What can be done to improve the fit? A thin sleeve of some kind? A shim?

Mine were the same but I don't recall what I did to fix it, if anything.

Is the issue the stick diameter or the base (socket)? Just wondering as I bought the Tosten pre shortened sticks and the both fit perfectly in the bases. If it's the stick, I have the 2 factory ones that I don't need anymore.

It is that OD of the stick is too much less than the ID of the holder. A little tape around the pipe has it fitting very well.

The other thing I ran into is the instructions to check range of motion fore and aft for the stick. The instructions must assume that the top of the stick is parallel to the bottom. Neither of mine are. I get full motion from the stick but the. Neutral position is a few degrees off vertical. I can live with it. Both sticks are the same so it must be on purpose but the plans can't be precisely followed. You can just look at my sticks and see the top is bent at an angle back from the alignment of the lower part of the stick.

I'm going to assume that because I get the full range I should I'm good to go.

I haven't gotten to that part yet, but is it powdercoated? I find that I have to run a reamer through many powdercoated parts to get holes back to being right on size.

The other thing I ran into is the instructions to check range of motion fore and aft for the stick. The instructions must assume that the top of the stick is parallel to the bottom. Neither of mine are. I get full motion from the stick but the. Neutral position is a few degrees off vertical. I can live with it. Both sticks are the same so it must be on purpose but the plans can't be precisely followed. You can just look at my sticks and see the top is bent at an angle back from the alignment of the lower part of the stick.

I'm going to assume that because I get the full range I should I'm good to go.

Instructions in my manual use only the base to check range of motion, not the stick. So the plans can be followed even though by design the lower and upper stick shafts are not parallel.

Back