What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KC-135 TOUR OSH

Bruce

Well Known Member
Friend
THE KC TOUR IS FULL <GGGG>

If anyone would like a personal tour of the KC at OSH this year you can meet 4 of us at the Tanker on Wed (30th) @ 10:00 AM. We can split in groups and give you the ins and outs of the plane. Stuff they don't show you on the stat sheets.:rolleyes:
Two of us are building 7A's and the other one needs too but is going another way.
Shoot an email on this site so we can get a head count.

ANYONE THAT WAS IN BY THE 20TH IS IN.
THAT MAKES ABOUT 40 PEOPLE.

HAD TO CALL ANOTHER BOOM TO HELP.
ALL IS WELL !!!!!!

Last edited:
4 of us ok?

Thanks for the offer, Bruce. I will be there with my son and two friends. We'd love to take you up on your offer.

Gary Baker
VAF #737
RV-6 Fuse
Medina, OH

TankerBob,

We were all at the 11th ARS--Altus, OK
Come on and join the fun.

Everyone else is counted for and we will meet at the nose at 10 AM.

Bruce, count my son and I in

Wednesday 10 seems an eternity away but will do my best to remember! Maybe I'll try the calendar on my phone for a change.

thx,
lucky

we'll drive from Canada for a tour

My 8 and 5 Year old boys think that would cool. That makes 4 of us including my wife. Hope these is still room!

KC-135 Tour

Two More, Please.
My son and I would love to take you up on the offer.
Bernie "Smoker" Ockuly
Strongsville, Ohio
RV7A, N914E, 485 hrs, 1,034 landings, 933 rolls, since 9/11/05
L.G.I.T.W.

Bruce - If there still room, we'd be thrilled to attend. My son is going into his senior year AFROTC. He's finishing up Field Training this week at Maxwell AFB. Your tour would be a great moral booster after all that hard work!

Pencil us in for 3 if you can!

Randy Marx
EAA 1459
7- preview plans

WOW

Well I thought I would get some respose but this is great. I have 26 people counted for and I will probably limit this to 30 so we can get 3 groups of 10 to make it more personal.

Thanks for the email and I will see everyone on the nose at 10 on WED.

I just hope the KC shows up !!!!:cool:

I would love to come, but unfortunately I will not be able to attend. I have to take my -135 around the patch over here. Hope you all enjoy she's and old bird but she still is great!

Bob,

As they say SHE will take the KC-10,767,X-45 and all the others to the bone yard.
Have fun with the crash and dashes. Heard the A/C still doesn't work good in the pattern so strap down the maps and box lunches and pop that window before the go-around. It will cool it off a few degrees.:eek:

Is their room for another one?

If you still have room I would be up for a tour

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
RV-6

Any room left?

Hey if there are cancellations or extra room, my wife and two kids and i would love the chance. Please let me know if you have any extra room. PM me and i will be there.

If you have a stand-by list I'd like to sign up. Isn't Van scheduled to speak at a forum about that time on Wednesday?

TOUR FULL

TOUR FULL :D:D:D:mad:

Sorry for those who missed out maybe this can be
a yearly (HOUR) thing.

Please refer to the 1st post I put in on this thread.

See everyone at 10 AM.
KC-135------4 Engines
KC- 10------3 Engines.

See ya at the 135.:cool:

TOUR FULL :D:D:D:mad:

Sorry for those who missed out maybe this can be
a yearly (HOUR) thing.

Please refer to the 1st post I put in on this thread.

See everyone at 10 AM.
KC-135------4 Engines
KC- 10------3 Engines.

See ya at the 135.:cool:

Without doubt, the KC-135 will go down in aviation history as the Gooney Bird of the jet era. They have been flying since 1957 and are still in service today. There has been evolution in engines but the basic airframe is mostly unchanged. From the Air Force Link....Of the original KC-135A's, more than 415 have been modified with new CFM-56 engines produced by CFM-International. The re-engined tanker, designated either the KC-135R or KC-135T, can offload 50 percent more fuel, is 25 percent more fuel efficient, costs 25 percent less to operate and is 96 percent quieter than the KC-135A.

My connection goes back to the A model or "water wagon" as we called them. The original engines were P&W JT3's before the by pass fan was invented. This engine was augmented with water injection on take off for cooling and more power. No, the water did not provide more thrust, but the cooling it offered permitted more fuel burn and more thrust. As I recall, the electric water pumps injected about 3000 pounds (600 gallons) of water over a 90 second period. The navigator timed the water run so we had an idea when it would quit because the loss of thrust was quick and on a hot day was quite dramatic. The reason the new engines are 96% quieter is because those JT3's were the about the nosiest engines ever with H2O injection. People living near an AF base could hear them for miles.

Just a few quick notes on this remarkable airplane and its early JT3's. The empty weight of the A model was right at 100,000 pounds. We flew them grossed out at over 300,000 pounds for some missions during the Viet Nam fiasco. During one period we as crew members were aloft 90 hours a month but the airplanes flew day and night probably four times that amount, they were very reliable. An engine failure was extremely rare. We used to haul F-105 fighter pilots out of the war zone on the jump seat when they went on R&R. It was interesting how they would sit up and try to figure out if we were going to fly (or not) roaring down a 12000' runway for about 11,000'. :)

Later at TWA it was the 707 with the fan engines, wow, what a queen of the fleet if ever there was one. When these machines were retired, one had 36000 hours TT and 2 of the JT3's were the original engines from the factory. Many of the TWA engines went to USAF 135's to replace the water wagons. I think the CFM's came later and probably replaced the fan JT3's.

Enough rambling on this great airplane...for sure Bruce will give you a great tour. Another tour of this great machine - Air Force 1, the original - can be had at the Pres. Reagan Memorial Library at Simi Valley, California.

Tour

Bruce,

Thank you for the tour..!!!
It was GREAT.:)
Now I know who reallydid all the work.

So from an Osh "newbie"..."Thank again"

Thanks

Just a very sincere thanks.
Allowing me and my kids and wife to climb around in the refuel boom operators "bed" was great. Your efforts and hospitality and that of your buddies is what i love about aviation folks.

All the best!

I am glad everyone enjoyed the tour. I hope I can do it every year if the KC is there. Sorry the AC did not work on the plane.:D

My connection goes back to the A model or "water wagon" as we called them. The original engines were P&W JT3's before the by pass fan was invented. This engine was augmented with water injection on take off for cooling and more power.

Ahhh..... the KC-135. As I saw on someone's patch once:
"Built when man thought he could burn water"

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed the tour!

Also noteworthy was the incredible smoke produced from those water injected early JT3's. I flew on many of the TWA's 707's, particularly a short run from STL to MCI. Cruise was only a few minutes - ascent and descent were the trip. In those days, it was possible to fly L-1011's STL to ORD, and 747's STL-JFK, many times at less than 50% capacity. Anyway, it was a nice treat to have the 135 there and Travolta's immaculate 707 at Osh. Another nice 'Air Force 1' variant (designated VC-137 by the military) is call sign SAM 26000 that went to the USAF Museum in Dayton but is on long term loan to Boeing Field's Museum of Flight in Seattle. SAM 27000 went to the aforementioned library. Needless to say, Air Force 1 is not an aircraft, but only the moniker used for any aircraft carrying the Prez).

BTW, David, did you get into the TWA widebodies during your career?

Without doubt, the KC-135 will go down in aviation history as the Gooney Bird of the jet era. They have been flying since 1957 and are still in service today. There has been evolution in engines but the basic airframe is mostly unchanged. From the Air Force Link....Of the original KC-135A's, more than 415 have been modified with new CFM-56 engines produced by CFM-International. The re-engined tanker, designated either the KC-135R or KC-135T, can offload 50 percent more fuel, is 25 percent more fuel efficient, costs 25 percent less to operate and is 96 percent quieter than the KC-135A.

My connection goes back to the A model or "water wagon" as we called them. The original engines were P&W JT3's before the by pass fan was invented. This engine was augmented with water injection on take off for cooling and more power. No, the water did not provide more thrust, but the cooling it offered permitted more fuel burn and more thrust. As I recall, the electric water pumps injected about 3000 pounds (600 gallons) of water over a 90 second period. The navigator timed the water run so we had an idea when it would quit because the loss of thrust was quick and on a hot day was quite dramatic. The reason the new engines are 96% quieter is because those JT3's were the about the nosiest engines ever with H2O injection. People living near an AF base could hear them for miles.

Just a few quick notes on this remarkable airplane and its early JT3's. The empty weight of the A model was right at 100,000 pounds. We flew them grossed out at over 300,000 pounds for some missions during the Viet Nam fiasco. During one period we as crew members were aloft 90 hours a month but the airplanes flew day and night probably four times that amount, they were very reliable. An engine failure was extremely rare. We used to haul F-105 fighter pilots out of the war zone on the jump seat when they went on R&R. It was interesting how they would sit up and try to figure out if we were going to fly (or not) roaring down a 12000' runway for about 11,000'. :)

Later at TWA it was the 707 with the fan engines, wow, what a queen of the fleet if ever there was one. When these machines were retired, one had 36000 hours TT and 2 of the JT3's were the original engines from the factory. Many of the TWA engines went to USAF 135's to replace the water wagons. I think the CFM's came later and probably replaced the fan JT3's.

Enough rambling on this great airplane...for sure Bruce will give you a great tour. Another tour of this great machine - Air Force 1, the original - can be had at the Pres. Reagan Memorial Library at Simi Valley, California.

Back