What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen tank installation pictures

Flyer2017

I bought a 22 cu ft system from Aerox at OSH after reading all the various posts on the pros and cons of MH pulse demand, SkyOx one setting valve, etc. Couldn't justify the added expense at this point. I plan on using two of the Aerox mounting brackets to mount the bottle to the right side baggage compartment. I saw a picture of a bottle mounted there but had questions about the installation. If you have a similar installation, I'd appreciate pictures and details. Did you put in a doubler to support the clamps where they attach? Feel you needed to reinforce the floor (tank weighs 12 pounds full)? Use nutplates instead of the supplied bolts and nuts? Any advice and pictures would be appreciated. Thanks

Check my build log here and the next several photos.

No doubler, no floor reinforcement needed. Nutplates needed only on the lower bracket mount so you can get the flap cover panel in and out. Just make sure the location of the bracket bolts are clear of the flap arm movement area.

mine is mounted identically to this. no issues so far, 3 years.

Last edited:
I have an Avox bottle and thought I would make a temporary mount using stock screw holes to see how I like the location before modifying the flap cover. (The vertical is a piece of relay track.) After the 24 (hobbs hour) Oshkosh trip I love the location, easy to reach and easy to read the gauge. It works so well I think I'm done.

oxy1.jpg

oxy2.jpg

oxy3.jpg

Question for you guys?--

With those locations, it seems like it would be alittle tough to turn on the valve while in flight. Is it? Sounds like a dumb question, and you may be turning it on, before you depart, knowing you were going to a higher altitude.
So, what if you were enroute, and needed to turn it on?

Only asking because I was thinking about O2 for my 7 (if I get that far)

Tom

With those locations, it seems like it would be alittle tough to turn on the valve while in flight. Is it? Sounds like a dumb question, and you may be turning it on, before you depart, knowing you were going to a higher altitude.

Tom

As long as you can look and reach over your right shoulder it is a piece of cake. I have mine mounted the same as Bruce, et al. It's probably the most practical location.

Tom

It is within easy reaching distance for me in flight with my shoulder straps on. One would think it be easier to reach if it was mounted in the center but it is really awkward to try and reach behind yourself.

E bottle

Probably doesn't matter but an "E" is significantly longer than the bottle in the above pix. A couple Aerox clamps ($32 ea at PilotMall) on the flap cover might only clamp the lower 1/3 of an "E" bottle. Also might have to consider co-pilots head as the E setup will extend well beyond the seat back.
I went with the "D" bottle (only 15 cu/ft) which has the perfect height of 24 inches. I was sorely tempted by the "M" bottle (also only 24 inches, 22 cu/ft, 7/8" greater diameter).

Carl

Tom

Mine's in the same place as Bruce's - D cylinder on the passenger side flap arm cover. It's no problem at all to reach to turn on/off in flight.

Thanks to everyone for all the information. My RV-9A has a full interior including panels in the baggage area. All the pictures seem to show just painted metal in the baggage area. Anyone have experience with putting in an oxygen bottle with interior panels? I'm considering taking out the panels to save a little weight but my wife likes the finished look.

I have the panels in my baggage compartment as well - I just fabbed a couple small metal brackets in a "Z" shape that riveted to the vertical stiffeners, turn 90 degrees and come between the panels at their joint, then 90 degrees again. I put the E bottle up next to that bracket and put a band clamp around it. One at the floor, one at the panel gap which is about 3/4 of the way up, holds it quite well.

How about horizontally, centered below the panel above and between pilot and passengers legs. Quick disconnect mount would be needed. Valve and gauge would be easy to see and might help C/G on cross country trips.

That works

That's what I did. I made a carbon fiber box to mount the bottle on. It covers the fuel pump/filter assembly, provides a spot to store tools (weight fwd), and has room for the cannulas too. When I don't need the O2, I pull the bottle and the clamps saving 12 pounds.

Ed Holyoke
20170721_110747_zps9sgl0pwc.jpg

How about horizontally, centered below the panel above and between pilot and passengers legs. Quick disconnect mount would be needed. Valve and gauge would be easy to see and might help C/G on cross country trips.

A "D" bottle setup in my 9A. As others have done, attach to flap actuator cover, used riveted doubler behind.
Easy removal of bottle AND straps when not in use. Brackets by Aerox, purchased at PilotMall (32 ea).

Carl

33wb0aq.jpg

2hnx25l.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all the information. My RV-9A has a full interior including panels in the baggage area. All the pictures seem to show just painted metal in the baggage area. Anyone have experience with putting in an oxygen bottle with interior panels? I'm considering taking out the panels to save a little weight but my wife likes the finished look.

I modified the flap cover with an offset bracket for the top oxygen cylinder mount riveted and a doubler riveted in the back for the lower bracket. Lower bracket has spacers to allow for carpet. Details are here: https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojentry&proj=7XO7VUAdl&e=7dETQsbsR&listcat=

Back