What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing set up for EFIS

Sig600

Well Known Member
Wierd topic I know. I'm planning my attack on the wings and want to prep for the panel.

I've been all over the page on EFIS vendors, however for the money and capability I think I'm deciding more and more to go with GRT. I like the derived AOA, and simplicity for install. Should I go ahead and get in bed with them and install their autopilot servos before I close up the wings?

Any pitot tube recommendations? Wanted to go with a blade style/heated for IFR use. No real argument for the blade stlye other than looks, and it seems to have worked for Piper for a number of years.

The TruTrak servos easily retrofit so pre-installing is not required for that reason. I found a fair price on a pre-owned set so that's why I installed them during the build.

I would pre-wire for the servos and the magnetometer during construction. Wire is relatively cheap, and more difficult to add later.

I bought a used cessna style (L-tube) 12V for about half the cost of new. It looks new and gets very hot when tested. Bought mounting kit from Gretz. I did this because I didn't care for the standard Van's style bent tube. No need for new cause I will never wear it out, nor depend on it explicitly for safe continuation of flight if I incur inadvertent icing.

Not tested in flight yet but not expecting any significant trouble.

Bevan
RV7A, enjoying the wiring phase very much

Derived AOA....

I love my GRT EFIS's, but I don't care for their derived AOA. I've tried several times to calibrate it and used it.... and I just find it confusing and not particularly repeatable. I installed the AFS Sport AOA, I love it... and it's very accurate.

I've seen the symbology for the GRT AOA, and it's identical to how we fly AOA in the fighter world. Plus, the derived means less **** to plumb in the wing, which I'm all for. Was thinking Dynon, but I'm just not convinced on their setup anymore, and the lack of VP-X support is kind of a huge downer now.

If I add the roll servo later after closing up the wing, is it going to be a massive undertaking?

I love my GRT and the service they have provided so far. Last week I took some training in spinning and for 14-15 spins that we did, the two screen stayed solid with no issues. Such has been during roll or loop. I have calibrated the AOA and works fine but I just don't find much use for it since I have a good feel for the AOA on my plane.

I also have the Dynon pitot heat and like it very much, but don't have any thing to compare it to. I like the idea that is not constantly drawing power, only when it needs to and it has a warning light that will let you know if it ever fails.

Hope this helps.

I find the GRT AOA indicates just fine during approach and landing - trying to use it for aerobatics is just asking more than it was designed to do. That said, the real problem with it is that it isn't on the glareshield, where you can see it. The Display Units just aren't really in the field of view when lookign out the window on final.

A huge improvement would be a remote AOA indicator that reads a serial data stream from teh GRT and shows you the data - anyone out there want to build one?

Back