What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Troubleshooting SkyView Audio

PilotBrent

Well Known Member
Would really appreciate some help troubleshooting my Skyview install in the RV-12.

Section 45A-10/11

I've been adjusting the Control Module per the plans to fine tune the Skyview & audio system. Having a problem with the pilot side audio as follows:

COM. Both passenger side and pilot side appear to be working. Note (when intercom is set to "isolate" the passenger cannot hear his voice in the headset but is able to transmit. I assume this is normal)

Dynon Voice Warnings. Set to 100% per plans. Passenger side has loud, non-distorted volume and appears to be working normally in both ICS and isolate intercom modes. Pilot side works normally with good volume ONLY when the intercom is set to ICS. When it is switched to "isolate", the Dynon voice warnings are very faint (~20% of what the ICS volume appears to be.)

AUX music. Again, passenger side appears to work normally in both intercom modes. However, the pilot side never receives the music at the same volume as the passenger side in ICS mode at all and when switched to isolate, no music at all (this might be appropriate, but the real issue is that in ISC mode the music is very faint)

Not sure if I have a grounding issue with the pilot side and/or an intercom issue. Since the pilot COM seems to work normally in both intercom modes, I'm confused. Where should I be looking??

Appreciate any ideas on why and where to look to fix.

I think you have the pilot and copilot jacks reversed.
When in isolate, the copilot headset should still work normal on the intercom but the pilot headset should be isolated to just the radio.

Audio partially resolved.

I confirmed that the RZ441 & 442 wire bundles were going to the correct sides of the fuselage. The molex connectors for each set of jacks had different numbers on them (041222 on left side and 041231 on pilot/right). Could not recall if they were dedicated R/L and plans on 31B-17 didnt help me. So from Scott's note I just reversed them. The pilot and co-pilot sides now are operating logically. Thanks Scott.

Still cannot hear the AUX audio in normal ICS mode however at a normal volume. It's very faint and adjusting the control module to high volume doesn't fix it. Loose wire in one of the plugs?

Still stumped.

It's very faint and adjusting the control module to high volume doesn't fix it. Loose wire in one of the plugs?

Still stumped.
My aux music is very weak unless I pull the patch cord almost completely out of the AUX jack. My working theory (I haven't tested it yet) is that perhaps I am plugging a stereo patch cord into a mono jack and that disjoin is preventing a good connection. I was going to hunt up a stereo-to-mono converter to see if it helped.

First: I have the D180, not the SV. However, my aux audio was really poor, and I tried to replace the aux jack at annual. The THREADLOCK defeated me, but in the process of beating the snot out of the aux jack the weak audio fixed itself. Now, if I can just figure out why my GPS496 audio is weak!

First: I have the D180, not the SV. However, my aux audio was really poor, and I tried to replace the aux jack at annual. The THREADLOCK defeated me, but in the process of beating the snot out of the aux jack the weak audio fixed itself. Now, if I can just figure out why my GPS496 audio is weak!
Beating on the aux jack probably fixed a bad ground connection.
Have you turned up the volume on the GPS496?
To adjust the volume:
1. Press and quickly release the POWER key.
2. Press the right side of the ROCKER to raise the volume.
3. Press QUIT
Joe Gores

Skyview Audio problem

I have a problem with the side tone being garbled on both sides. Also when I go to isolate on the intercom the pilot side is clipped. I have checked the wiring from both LH/RH jacks to the control module several times and from control module to intercom, all wiring is per plans. Swapped out both radio and intercom with no help.

Working with Vans on chasing wires on the Audio side that is not on the wiring diagram.

There are more of us than are currently posting having Skyview audio problems. For example, my AOA beeping volume is great, but the voice alerts are very faint, and Dynon confirms these come out premixed on the same wire and without separate volume adjustment. Also I had no luck in my first try at using Halo headsets (that worked fine in an RV8.) So some troubleshooting is beginning. In a week I will be doing the annual and able to get at and check all the wires. My intercom wires were crimped, not soldered and for some other reasons not mentioned here I suspect a loose connection.

Here is some "unorganized data" that I hope to address.
Note that wiring-wise there are at least 4 types of RV-12s:

Type 1: Fully-installed original avionics.
Type 2: Fully installed original avionics then converted to the Skyview using the originally supplied adapter harnesses. (This is like Mitch's and the red factory machine.)
Type 3: RV-12 kits initially assembled with everything BUT the avionics; those of us that were "waiting for Skyview." When the Skyview system for those was originally issued, the supplied "conversion harnesses" did NOT connect up the headsets to the avionics! (It assumed existence of a cable supplied only with the original avionics.) A further harness had to be designed, and the plans revised. This is like mine.
Type 4: RV-12 kits with fuselage and optional wiring harnesses originally designed for Skyview, that do not utilize "conversion harnesses" like the Type 2s or 3s do.

You see, the original conversion harnesses assumed a completed Type 1 RV-12 with the old avionics, like Mitch's. Those RV-12s include a WH-RV12-FLTCOM403 cable that was part of the original avionics install.

That harness included the connection of the headsets to the intercom.

Those of us that "waited for Skyview" did not get (or need) that harness and our headset wires were not connected to anything at the time the Skyview kit was received.

So when the original Skyview system came out, both it and the instructions assumed that other harness existed. An ADAPTER harness was included in the kit for that. But those of us that had "waited for Skyview" had nothing to connect to, and our headset wires were just hanging loose in the panel.

I was the first to report this to Vans (I still have the e-mails) and they quickly came up with the a new, intercom connection harness and instructions for splicing in the headset wires into the Skyview system.

It could be that this problem lies in that setup, because no Vans-owned aircraft has this particular combination installed. They were both full original avionics with the original conversion harnesses. Not the kinda-sorta setup I and several others have. Later RV-12s get all of the harnesses originally made for the Skyview - which for instance have an extra couple of 12V wires going out to near the headset jacks. For example, it could be that the Dynon output is not correctly sent to the AV5000A box.

Also, setting the pots on the av5000 is a bit difficult and many have reported that they are NOT always sent from Vans adjusted mid-range (particularly the trim pot, mine and others were at "zero.")

So more to come... EDITED ADDITION - a fifth type would depend on whether or not you were sent this email by Vans on July 10, 2012 and have done the task or not.
(((((((((((((((Dear RV-12 Skyview owner
We have determined that you may have an early harness manufactured to an obsolete standard, shipped prior to March 2012.
Please check your EFIS harness (WH-00020) to see if it has a wire running from Pin 30 on the 37 pin SVD 1000 EFIS connector to Pin 28 on the 30 pin AV-50000A connector. See drawing 42C-03.
If it does, remove this wire or cut it and heat shrink the ends to break the connection. You can access the connectors quite easily by removing the EFIS screen from the panel. Although this is simply an extra ground wire we have found that it can cause unwanted noise in the audio system, and later harnesses do not have it.
Apologies for the inconvenience.))))))))))))))))

Last edited:
What a relief--I am not alone

I fall in the category of fuse-wired-for-D180-and-got-the-skyview-with-adapter cables. I can't recall all the exact confusion with the headset inputs, except that they were not labeled correctly, either in the drawings or on the wires, so I had to consult Vans to identify things properly. Com and Intercom seem to work just fine, but the EFIS output is uselessly faint--the output level that is selectable from the Skyview DOES change the EFIS output level--100% is very faint, 50% is very very faint. The trimpots on the magical mystery 50000 box for the EFIS input has no effect on volume, just (allegedly) on noise levels from the EFIS. (I don't worry 'bout noise levels when there's barely any signal). All told, sombody ain't playin' the hand they was dealt.

Mich,

It's not the 496 volume. Initially the audio worked but got weak and scratchy. Pulling and reinstalling jacks made it work a few hours. There's got to be a loose connection or corrosion somewhere. I'm waiting for my next software update to go in and fix the problem. Access is such a pain I don't go in there unless I really have to. Too bad the design requires canopy removal. Hard to say what I did to the audio jack that made it work, but never look a gift horse in the mouth.

It's hard to see how all the side screws would be accessible, but you should know if anybody does. I wonder if builders commonly find the canopy needs to come off due to fiber glass interference with screw access.

My RV-12 avionics deck cover easily comes off without removing the canopy. The plans show the way to configure the fiberglass so that all screws are accessible without removing the canopy.

Even though Vans unofficially monitors the forum, they respond best to problem reports sent in. I intend to provide as precise as possible a set of symptoms on these issues based on my plane. I encourage everyone to post in this thread their own precise-as-possible symptoms and to also send those directly to Vans. The "I am not alone" is powerful. To the builder that translates as "OK maybe it wasn't something that I screwed up!" More info is helpful - for example, I have never even tried to use the music input. If that is also problematic, it would provide valuable clues to Vans. So please post your symptoms in detail, and ALSO identify if you are Type 1 - Type 4 per this:

Type 1: Fully-installed original avionics.
Type 2: Fully installed original avionics then converted to the Skyview using the originally supplied adapter harnesses. (This is like Mitch's and the red factory machine.)

Type 3: RV-12 kits initially assembled with everything BUT the avionics; those of us that were "waiting for Skyview." When the Skyview system for those was originally issued, the supplied "conversion harnesses" did NOT connect up the headsets to the avionics! (It assumed existence of a cable supplied only with the original avionics.) A further harness had to be designed, and the plans revised. This is like mine.

Type 4: RV-12 kits with fuselage and optional wiring harnesses originally designed for Skyview, that do not utilize "conversion harnesses" like the Type 2s or 3s do.

Type Modifier -
Pin 30-37 WIRE CUT or
Pin 30-37 WIRE DID NOT EXIST. Ensure this wire has been cut if it existed.
"Please check your EFIS harness (WH-00020) to see if it has a wire running from Pin 30 on the 37 pin SVD 1000 EFIS connector to Pin 28 on the 30 pin AV-50000A connector. See drawing 42C-03. If it does, remove this wire or cut it and heat shrink the ends to break the connection."
Bill H. N412BR "Sweetie" Flyin' and lovin' it!

Rob Reese - how is the volume level on your stall switch? Mine is the same as the AOA beeping (and was the same before I put in the AOA.) Come to think of it, I have not checked to see if the Skyview volume control affects the stall warning beep or not -has anyone else? I am assuming that it is the Skyview that generates that beep based upon the stall switch being wired into the Skyview. Correct? (the D180 would have had a similar function???)

Stall switch audio

Rob Reese - how is the volume level on your stall switch? Mine is the same as the AOA beeping (and was the same before I put in the AOA.) Come to think of it, I have not checked to see if the Skyview volume control affects the stall warning beep or not -has anyone else? I am assuming that it is the Skyview that generates that beep based upon the stall switch being wired into the Skyview. Correct? (the D180 would have had a similar function???)

The stall warning appears to be independent of the Skyview audio, and has plenty of volume. I believe the beep is generated by the magical mystery 50000 box.

My wife reported that, when flying today, with the autopilot engaged, the a Skyview-generated "CAUTION" was being generated on a regular basis, without much indication on the screen of what to be cautious about. The "CAUTION" was loud enough to hear, much louder that when the Skyview audio output test was being run.

I'll run a few more experiments next trip to the hangar.

Along the symptoms I am dealing with, I am wondering if the AV-5000A box includes an audio amp circuit, or if the pots simply trim the various audio signals before they are sent to the intercom. Some symptoms seem to resemble an overdriven amplifier circuit. If the AV5000A generates the stall warning tone, it must have an amp. What else goes throught the amp and what does not? (In building the -12 I had hoped to avoid having to beome really knowledgeable on audio circuits, intercoms, etc. I was hoping that was all plug and play...)

When I first tried 2 Halo headsets and they did not work at all (though they did in a nearby RV8) As part of some very simple and hurried testing (panel cover not removed), there were a few times that the Skyview volume got PAINFULLY LOUD!!! This was not repeatable and was like a loose connection. Since my intercom wires were crimped not soldered, I will be testing by shaking various wires, maybe even soldering some of those crimps. This LOUD thing happened in both headsets at once, likely eliminating the wiring to the jacks as a cause. Has to be upstream of that.

(When all this audio is sorted out, we may also need another "It's not just meeeeeee!" thread about the LEDs in the panel switches...)

It's hard to see how all the side screws would be accessible, but you should know if anybody does. I wonder if builders commonly find the canopy needs to come off due to fiber glass interference with screw access.

The canopy fiberglass has to be trimmed per the plans so that this screw is accessible with the canopy in the down position.
i-MbVGzSs-M.jpg

I have seen pictures of planes with a nice rounded curve here that looks wonderful, but will result in having to remove the canopy to take off the instrument cover.

Thanks Stein

I have a problem with the side tone being garbled on both sides. Also when I go to isolate on the intercom the pilot side is clipped. I have checked the wiring from both LH/RH jacks to the control module several times and from control module to intercom, all wiring is per plans. Swapped out both radio and intercom with no help.

Working with Vans on chasing wires on the Audio side that is not on the wiring diagram.

Got my audio problem solved due to Stein. The SL40 side tone preset was wrong found a good setting and now all is well.

TonyT,

Thanks for the picture. I finished mine with more overlap, so I see the issue. I like the look, so I guess I'll live with the consequences.

Rich

My fix for RV-12 intercom problem

For the past two months I have fought audio/intercomm problem on copilots side. By chance I grounded the headset speaker jacks to the airframe contrary to 31B-17 steps 3 & 5. My radio and intercom now work. To test this theory place an alligator clip with a wire to ground and clip it to the Headset speaker jack (largest diameter pin hole) on the seat floor. I hope this helps. Gus at Vans tech support said it should not help,:rolleyes: but it did for me. Good luck.

This indicates that the wire which should be attached to that jack terminal and running back to the audio ground is not hooked up, or broken.

The stall warning appears to be independent of the Skyview audio, and has plenty of volume. I believe the beep is generated by the magical mystery 50000 box.

My wife reported that, when flying today, with the autopilot engaged, the a Skyview-generated "CAUTION" was being generated on a regular basis, without much indication on the screen of what to be cautious about. The "CAUTION" was loud enough to hear, much louder that when the Skyview audio output test was being run.

I'll run a few more experiments next trip to the hangar.

Hi Rob,

Were you able to sort this problem out? When we engage the autopilot it works well as an autopilot however the lady keeps saying caution non stop.
There is no message on the screen to indicate what the problem is.

Cheers

Julian 120316

Not sure what we ended up doing

Hi Rob,

Were you able to sort this problem out? When we engage the autopilot it works well as an autopilot however the lady keeps saying caution non stop.
There is no message on the screen to indicate what the problem is.

Cheers

Julian 120316

My wife and Jetguy (John Albury) messed with multiple settings, for which I'm not quite sure what did the trick. She can't recall all the tricks, but included futzing with the volume control on our headsets while adjusting output volume and squelch on the comm radio--my guess is that since we couldn't seem to get much volume out of the the skyview, by reducing the Comm volume and increasing the intercom and headset volume, things got generally balanced. If Jetguy can recall the details of the magic, I'm sure he'll respond.

I met Jetguy while he was giving transition training to my RV-12 buddies at KGKY. He is the pro on all things Dynon. He was hearing precautionary warnings in his plane (IIRC), that many folks had yet to hear- based on settings, etc. Based upon my conversation with him, if he can't figure it out, it probably doesn't exist! He's the wealth of local knowledge on these settings. Highly recommended for his RV-12 specific Dynon expertise!

Back