What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall Warning Audio Board

dcatt

I'm New Here
Hi, I am installing the panel and wiring in my QB RV8 and am embarrassed to say that I don't understand what the ES Audio board supplied in the stall warning kit is for? Clearly I am missing something quite fundamental here but I would have thought some kind of buzzer connected directly to the stall switch in the wing would do the job without any need for the board. This is my first post but I love this forum and have used it extensively during what is now 3 years of building with a while to go yet. Thanks Dave

I do not have mine working properly so hopefully some one else will chime in with the correct info. I think it's in order to connect the stall warning to your intercom. Mine only sounds with the buzzer and I only hear it with the engine at low RPM. I have it wired to the intercom but something is a miss as I do not hear it in the headphones. Hopefully some one will have help for me also.

From what I read when I installed the switch, the board is a Tone or Sound generator that ties into the headphone jack and or intercom.

Head phone jack

I wired mine into the headphone jack. It was very loud so I installed a resistor to tone it down a bit. I ended up removing the tone generator and installing a red light on the panel. Very easy to wire up. One lead to positive and the stall warn contact is connected to the negative lead.

I am concidering re-hooking up the tone as I think it is a more effective indicator.

It's a tone generator that doesn't ramp up. Suddenly it's ON! BLATT! enough to scare the pucky out of any passenger just as you flare. Throw it away and pay attention to your AS/AOA.

John Siebold

It's a tone generator that doesn't ramp up. Suddenly it's ON! BLATT! enough to scare the pucky out of any passenger just as you flare. Throw it away and pay attention to your AS/AOA.

John Siebold

Diagree. Wire it into the headset jack not the intercom. Your passenger won?t here it. Tone it down with a resistor. It?s a nice safety feature if you ask me.

I think mounting the board inside keeps it in a more stable / dry environment. I wired mine into a GMA245 audio panel and also had to tone it down with a resistor. I had also briefly considered leaving it out since the Garmin G3X system has a nice AOA and stall warning setup with plenty of customization options, but thought better of it for two reasons. The Van's stall warn doesn't draw any current so you can wire it into a hot bus or essential bus (in my case) so that some day down the road when the excrement has hit the fan and you have to shut down much of your electrical systems including the G3X and you're really focused on a partial panel approach somewhere, you still have a warning if airspeed drops out of your crosscheck. The other reason is for the next guy to fly the plane. I'd like him/her to have another help to avoid the low altitude stall that still gets a lot of folks.

Last edited:
Mine works but is about 50% too loud. Can anyone suggest a resistor value and location? My board is behind my instrument panel.

Resistor

Mine works but is about 50% too loud. Can anyone suggest a resistor value and location? My board is behind my instrument panel.

Can?t remember the resistor value that I used. I located it close to the headset jack. Try different ones to find the one that works best. If you have it wired into the intercom, you will have to locate the signal output wire coming out of the sound board.

Dave, you don't say what radio or audio panel you are using, but I'll give you my experience just in case you are using the same or similar radio:

I wired my stall warner board to my Garmin GTR-200 radio. At first the tone was way too loud.......startling loud. But it was very easy to just turn down the volume for that input in the Garmin's settings menu.

I'm guessing this ease of volume adjustment may be available with various radios and/or audio panels? Not sure, but it was really simple to adjust with the Garmin.

I like the stall warner. I had to adjust the angle of the vane some, but it goes off about 5 mph before the stall. Seems simple and familiar.

Back