What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting GTX 345R

BoilermakerRV

Well Known Member
Where and how are folks mounting their GTX 345R? I have a rough concept, but would like to hear from others (RV-7A slider). Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Good Question!

I?m putting a GTX45R into my 6 as part of a G3X Touch/GTN650 based panel upgrade, and I?ve been wondering the same thing - the other LRUs are small enough that finding a spot for them won?t be a problem, but the transponder is sizable enough that I?ve not yet come up with a good spot for it.

What say you experts who?ve gone down this path already? :confused:

I?m installing the same unit in my -7 build. I don?t know the exact location that I?m going to install it yet but I think it needs to be in an area that?s readily accessible. Out of all the rest of the avionics installed, the transponder is the one piece of equipment that?ll need to be able to come out on a regular basis to get checked. I?m planning on fabricating a couple of hinged fold-down trays between the sub panel and the firewall on which to mount all of my remote mount avionics, but I think I?ll probably mount the transponder on the bottom side of one of the fold-down trays just so it?s easily accessible/removable.

Mark

Behind the subpanel

One place that works pretty well is behind the subpanel directly behind the primary display. You can make a reinforcement ring in the subpanel and cut out the sub-panel for the transponder to slide through. The mounting of the transponder is the same as you would mount it in the panel, i.e. I would use aluminum angle on either side of the tray and create an anchor strap to the rear of the unit. The transponder can then be installed and removed through the display opening in the panel.

Thanks,
Levi

I like the aft baggage bulhead location on the 7/9 if possible. Running the wires can be a bit if a challenge on a flying aircraft so they go up front sometimes depending on the setup. I also like having the short antenna cable run when its all in the aft section. My own aircraft has the old 23ES on the bulkhead, easy to get to and works great.

Steve's location above is also a good one, but easier to do when building than retrofitting, so it all depends.

Last edited:
I put mine underneath the VPX unit and attached it with small angle stock to the rails that were made as shown in the VPX installation, it sits sideways and slides in and out nicely.

What Levi said...

Based on the information provided by Levi a few posts ago, this is how it worked out for my install:

View from the back of the sub panel
20181230_171154-L.jpg

View at the front of the sub panel
20181230_171214-L.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result, and the harness on my Stein panel reaches perfectly in this location. Thanks for the tip, Levi!

Based on the information provided by Levi a few posts ago, this is how it worked out for my install:

20181230_171154-L.jpg

20181230_171214-L.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result, and the harness on my Stein panel reaches perfectly in this location. Thanks for the tip, Levi!

Sent a PM to you Chris

I’m installing the same unit in my -7 build. I don’t know the exact location that I’m going to install it yet but I think it needs to be in an area that’s readily accessible. Out of all the rest of the avionics installed, the transponder is the one piece of equipment that’ll need to be able to come out on a regular basis to get checked. I’m planning on fabricating a couple of hinged fold-down trays between the sub panel and the firewall on which to mount all of my remote mount avionics, but I think I’ll probably mount the transponder on the bottom side of one of the fold-down trays just so it’s easily accessible/removable.

Mark

Does it really have to be that accessible? The FAA-required transponder checks can be done with the unit in place - the only adjustments needed are for altitude encoding and they can be done by front panel programming I bet.

Does it really have to be that accessible? The FAA-required transponder checks can be done with the unit in place - the only adjustments needed are for altitude encoding and they can be done by front panel programming I bet.

You may very well be correct Gil. It just seems like every time I?ve ever had a transponder check done that the shop that did it pulled it out for some reason. Maybe I need to go to a different shop. LOL!!

Mark

20181230_171154-L.jpg

20181230_171214-L.jpg

Great job Chris!!

You may very well be correct Gil. It just seems like every time I?ve ever had a transponder check done that the shop that did it pulled it out for some reason. Maybe I need to go to a different shop. LOL!!

Mark

The only time the old KT76A came out of the Tiger was to check the serial number for the paperwork...:)

The Skyview one has it's serial number accessible from the main EFIS screen, I'm sure the Garmin is similar.

I?m installing the same unit in my -7 build. I don?t know the exact location that I?m going to install it yet but I think it needs to be in an area that?s readily accessible. Out of all the rest of the avionics installed, the transponder is the one piece of equipment that?ll need to be able to come out on a regular basis to get checked. I?m planning on fabricating a couple of hinged fold-down trays between the sub panel and the firewall on which to mount all of my remote mount avionics, but I think I?ll probably mount the transponder on the bottom side of one of the fold-down trays just so it?s easily accessible/removable.

Mark

Why does it need to come out? I thought it was tested in the aircraft.

Why does it need to come out? I thought it was tested in the aircraft.

Yeah, Gil was asking the same question. Maybe (hopefully) it doesn?t. Like I told Gil, it just seems like I remember mine having to come out for the shop to do their check. I?m not sure exactly why they had to remove it, but maybe it was just to verify the serial number.

Mark

Behind the sub panel, or?

I chose this method not necessarily because I felt the GTX would need to be removed with any regularity, but instead because I didn't want anything mounted inaccessibly behind the sub panel. With five remote boxes, this was the only way to go.
20181230_171105-L.jpg

Back