What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax oil/water temperature sensors

MacPara

Well Known Member
It took me a few days to collect the following information, so I thought someone might be interested to read this at some point and save some time....

My oil temps started fluctuating in flight recently and there was a chance that the sensor itself was starting to fail (yes, connection issues are also a possibility). So I looked into a replacement, which would be Rotax p/n 965-531. You can find this sensor at the usual 3 suspects in the US for a mere $195 - $274. Yes, no typo. It's a VDO sensor, so I started looking for just that and had to learn that the thread that Rotax chose is very hard to come by in the US.
It's an M10 x 1.5 and in the US the only M10 that's readily available is the M10 x 1.0 which, of course, would not fit.
So I hunted around and found this part in the UK and in the Netherlands as well as on ebay (from Latvia which might take a while to get here).
The VDO part number you would be looking for that should replace the Rotax part is 323-801-010-001D, stamped 801/10/1 by VDO, 300F or 150C max..
Here are the two non-ebay webshops that I found to source these with the one in the NL to be too expensive on shipping for me to consider it.

http://www.etbinstruments.com/
https://vdo-webshop.nl/en/

For our European friends the NL webshop is probably the easiest solution as they charge in directly in Euros.
I have no affiliation with either one of these companies, just trying to help fellow builders to find a part that's hard to come by.

I should add that I have not replaced my sensor yet as I just ordered the part. As soon as I receive it I shall install it and verify that this is all correct.

Also, please note that the 912ULS oil temperature sensor is the same part as the two CHT water temperature sensors. So the above applies to both types of sensors.

Thanks I just ordered one, $29 shipped. One of my coolants was flakey since new and I thought it was wiring. Found out the center was loose after warranty expired. Lockwood quoted over $200 since there is no demand, they don't wear out. Kind of fixed it with superglue but must have changed resistance since it always reads about 20 degrees low.

So it's been a while since I ordered the sensors from ETB and from the Estonian guys through ebay all on Dec. 15th and I thought I 'd give you an update as ETB had delivered on Dec. 30th, 2 weeks after ordered.

They look like original VDO sensors, manufactured in the Czech Republic as the stamps indicate.

photo album

News from the Estonian guys? Yeah, but not very impressive news. First they said I'd get a tracking number some time before Christmas. After that had passed without a number, I asked and they said they made a mistake and meant to say I'd get that by the end of December. After that had passed they told me they had made a mistake and meant I'd get the number by January 10th. You see a pattern? Yeah, I do too.
We'll see if I ever find out what quality the sensor is they claim to be selling ....
I'll keep y'all posted.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
I bought a couple of those from Latvia a few months back through eBay after one of my CHT?s went bad.
I took a couple weeks to get them. The one I installed is working great so far. It looks identical to the OEM part except the finish is silver in color as opposed to the brass appearance of the original.
Interestingly after I bought them from eBay, I found them on LEAF or CPS for about $45.

Got a note today that the ebay one was not shipped on 29 December but will be on 10 January. We will see if it arrives and is the correct part.

And then I got this one this morning:

We are sorry to let you know about an error in our system - the order processing time stated in our listing is wrong. The order estimated dispatch is by Jan 16 instead of Jan 9 planned originally.

Well, "originally" this was supposed to ship at the end of December. I am starting to lose my patience with these guys.

Last edited:
And then I got this one this morning:

Well, "originally" this was supposed to ship at the end of December. I am starting to lose my patience with these guys.

Patience is like airspeed, don't want to run out of either one...

Patience is like airspeed, don't want to run out of either one...
Unless someone has taken your money and not delivered what they were supposed to deliver. In that case you definitely want to run out of patience within the credit card dispute period.

Unless someone has taken your money and not delivered what they were supposed to deliver. In that case you definitely want to run out of patience within the credit card dispute period.

With eBay... use PayPal and option for payment only when item is delivered. Beautiful solution. Credit card info is hidden from seller and funds not at risk for fraud.

Back