What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX

Michaelpk3

Well Known Member
Decided to upgrade from steam gauges to 10.4" screen. Due to panel size the Dynon seems to be the best fit. Any pro/cons with new HDX?

Couple of the videos on YouTube show a fair amount of sunlight glare with a glass canopy.

I plan to keep the Vision 385 until I can do the full upgrade to dynon AP.

I have the Skyview Classic 10" screens in my tip up and assure you glare hasn't ever been an issue. The HDX screens are even better. You won't be disappointed. I may be a little prejudiced though:)

Decided to upgrade from steam gauges to 10.4" screen. Due to panel size the Dynon seems to be the best fit. Any pro/cons with new HDX?

Couple of the videos on YouTube show a fair amount of sunlight glare with a glass canopy.

I plan to keep the Vision 385 until I can do the full upgrade to dynon AP.

The few owners I have talked to speak high of the HDX system and have not complained about glare. The graphics and reflection are supposed to have improved from the sky view system as well. I am upgrading my panel with the HDX as well and can tell you it is beautifully designed but according to my A&P a pain in the rear to install.

The very minor "con" is that the little "ledge" sticking out at the bottom might get in the way of any switches below mounted too close.

Plan ahead. :)

The very minor "con" is that the little "ledge" sticking out at the bottom might get in the way of any switches below mounted too close.

Plan ahead. :)

I'm with Gil on this one. I prefer the AFS 5x00 series. They work with all the existing Dynon peripherals too.

It depends on the angle you are looking at it, in the seat I have no problem, when I try to take a photo of the screen direct on, yes there is some reflectivity, but not from my viewing angle, very sharp bright and crisp graphics.

SNIP I am upgrading my panel with the HDX as well and can tell you it is beautifully designed but according to my A&P a pain in the rear to install.

The Dynon SkyView system is about as simple and install as it gets. Either your A&P is an old school ?six pack and vacuum pump? guy or perhaps he is just reflecting on the initial conditions you are giving him.

For what it is worth, I recommend you do the work yourself.

Carl

I have a dual HDX system in my RV, and I have really enjoyed flying with the HDX. The screens are very visible even in full sun light. All of the integrated electronics work very well, and it is easy to install. You will not be disappointed!

DYNON HDX

very well known A&P in the RV Community with experience building a few RVs so by no means inexperienced; certainly a ton more experience than me so I determined it would be wiser to have him help me with the panel upgrade.

The issue was no previous experience with Dynon components but definitely some Garmin as well as other products. He still stated he had a very difficult time wiring Dynon, especially the com radios. Lesson learned, almost done with the upgrade. I apologize I did not mean to hijack this thread.

very well known A&P in the RV Community with experience building a few RVs so by no means inexperienced; certainly a ton more experience than me so I determined it would be wiser to have him help me with the panel upgrade.

The issue was no previous experience with Dynon components but definitely some Garmin as well as other products. He still stated he had a very difficult time wiring Dynon, especially the com radios. Lesson learned, almost done with the upgrade. I apologize I did not mean to hijack this thread.

I can't imagine why it would be so hard...I found it straightforward and, although time-consuming given all the components, their documentation is very good, the harnesses provided are all color-coded, etc. I didn't find it hard at all.

Maybe time consuming is a better way to put it yes

We just gutted an RV-10 and installed a 3-Screen HDX System including all optional components and wiring in 5 days. This also included the engine monitor and all sensors. The documentation is very good and the overall system is extremely simple to understand and wire.

5 days... WOW that is fast. I will make sure and let my A&P know.

We just gutted an RV-10 and installed a 3-Screen HDX System including all optional components and wiring in 5 days. This also included the engine monitor and all sensors. The documentation is very good and the overall system is extremely simple to understand and wire.

Can you still see the screen when you wear polorized glasses?

I've had mixed results with different polarized glasses, it depends on whether the lens maker paid attention to the polarization orientation when they make the lens. I've had some high-dollar sunglasses that I just couldn't use - but I've got a 3-year-old boy at home that loves to wear and "modify" my sunglasses so I generally use the "expendable" $15 pairs from Walmart, and they work just fine.

As for installation of the Dynon setup, I can't imagine it being any easier, it's as close to true "plug and play" as anything I've seen yet.

Does anybody have a recommendation of either a builder or shop that has experience with Dynon products in Southern California - Los Angeles area?

Having several issues with calibration of fuel pressure readings, radio noise, A/P...

I am by no means an electrician or a/p ,but I could not believe how straight forward and
easy Dynon install was in RV 4.....Fantastic company to work with ! Tom

Take a screen shot?

It depends on the angle you are looking at it, in the seat I have no problem, when I try to take a photo of the screen direct on, yes there is some reflectivity, but not from my viewing angle, very sharp bright and crisp graphics.

Maybe a screen capture instead of a photo would get a better (glare-free) image?
(The buttonology is press buttons '2' and '7' simultaneously, it also requires a USB thumbdrive to capture the image.)

On the thread topic - I am pleased with the screen readability and have had no issues during summer flights in Arizona.

Last edited:
Update

Ive pulled the trigger on the HDX. I've been running it now for about a month. I noticed polarized sunglasses are only a issue if you are sitting passenger. Looking straight on there is no issue. Also the glare is very very very minimal. I'm very pleased and would highly recommend.

Pain in the rear?

The few owners I have talked to speak high of the HDX system and have not complained about glare. The graphics and reflection are supposed to have improved from the sky view system as well. I am upgrading my panel with the HDX as well and can tell you it is beautifully designed but according to my A&P a pain in the rear to install.

If you can use a screw driver and/or Allen wrench, you can install a Skyview. Honestly, a 12 year old with reasonable mechanical skills could tackle it. I can't imagine anything easier. I have a 10in Skyview touch with Dynon's com radio, intercom, transponder, and AP. It's just plug and play. Simple, simple, simple.

I've been thinking about upgrading to the HDX, so appreciate the discussion/input. I believe there are some features in the HDX interface that aren't available in the classic interface.

Com Radio

The com radio is no problem at all. Don't let that concern you.

BTW, the integration between the Skyview and the Com Radio is amazing. Pick your airport on your nav screen and then "send to com" and all your frequencies are on your com; tower, atis, etc. fantastic!

Last edited:
Very nice looking screen. Do you have an opinion on the angled button panel? Good/Bad? I'm thinking of upgrading from the standard Skyview Touch.

Very nice looking screen. Do you have an opinion on the angled button panel? Good/Bad? I'm thinking of upgrading from the standard Skyview Touch.

The angled panel at the bottom is really nice, IMHO. Especially in the bumps, it?s nice to be able to grab onto it. The buttons and knobs themselves are a nice improvement too. They are backlit too, which is nice at night.

The angled panel at the bottom is really nice, IMHO. Especially in the bumps, it?s nice to be able to grab onto it. The buttons and knobs themselves are a nice improvement too. They are backlit too, which is nice at night.

I noticed the earlier post about switches below the angled panel possibly being in a tight position?

I am working on an RV10, how far above the instrument panel lower flange (this flange is where I will likely put a lot of switches) are folks locating the bottom of the HDx?

I noticed the earlier post about switches below the angled panel possibly being in a tight position?

I am working on an RV10, how far above the instrument panel lower flange (this flange is where I will likely put a lot of switches) are folks locating the bottom of the HDx?

You want the SkyView as high on the panel as you can get it (this puts the left display top left corner up at the panel curve - so the top of the display is still a little below the extreme top of the panel).

One other tip, bias the right panel toward the center (you end up with blank space on the right side of the right panel). You can fit a TSO GPS navigator in between the two displays if you move it down the panel so that it does not hit the center support. This too is biased to the left. The objective is both SKyViews are fully useable to the pilot, but still perfectly functional to the co-pilot. I have a lot of time in the RV-10 right seat with this set up and it works well.

Carl

Panel Placement

I had a LED strip under the glare shield up high to help illuminate the placards for the various switches down low. Since the HDX did have a lip on the bottom, it blocked some of the LED strip light to the switches and placards. To solve this, I added a small LED strip (minimal brightness) to the bottom lip of the HDX to illuminate the switches under it which really helped for night flying.

Its been a real joy to fly. Anyone on the fence, I would highly recommend. Saint Aviation did an excellent job with the install.

HDX blind area below

I found this RV-6A slider Stein panel and scaled the "Blind Spot - No Decals" hatched area. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P_6Ln4eNj39Vo-zfnU0f0sCyuADTdC6D

BTW the builder's website is http://www.mykitlog.com/bonorden/

If hdx Dynon is anything like SkyView, do it yourself, I was a novice and have never worked
with anything so pleasant and straight forward ! Tom

Back