What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a little help

dclaffey

Looking for someone that has experience and can spare a couple hours helping me rivet my HS. Did the dry fit and realized that I can't bang these rivets by myself. In the western Oklahoma city area.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I did it by myself just last week, took about 5 hours total ... the trick was to build those mounts the instructions suggest and make sure you clamp them down towards the edge of a workbench as to be able to get those forward angled rivets ... smiley count: 2

In Alabama otherwise I'd offer to help in person!

Last edited:
Thanks. Got the cradles built, but can't reach down far enough to hold the bucking bar and the gun on the other side at the same time.

I ruined a HS by having an untrained helper attempt to help. If you must get help, make sure they are experienced. That being said, I too was able to do the second one by myself. Experiment with different angles, mounting positions, and bucking bars, and I'll bet you can as well. Pad the edges so they don't cut your arms.

Chris

Looking for someone that has experience and can spare a couple hours helping me rivet my HS. Did the dry fit and realized that I can't bang these rivets by myself. In the western Oklahoma city area.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Check your PM. Sent a message. Give me a call and lets see what we can do.

I had the best luck by laying down the HS (in the cradle) on its side (maybe shim it up a little to keep it from sliding out of the cradle). This made it easier to reach inside and also kept the gun from sliding down while riveting, which it has a tendency to do on a vertical surface. Taping some wood or foam next to the rivet to rest the gun against and keep it stable was also useful for me.

Biggest problem I had on the HS was that the skin requires a lot of force to bend it against the ribs which (after riveting) causes a dip in the skin at the rivet line where the skin tries to bulge back out. Placing a tube in the skin and increasing the bend to better match the ribs helped..

good luck

Have you tried a local EAA group

I'm sure there's someone there to help. There help and advice are invaluable.

Dan,
Sent you a PM earlier today. There are several RV flyers and builders around OKC. The EAA UL98 chapter meets at my hangar the second Saturday of each month. I am the Secretary/Treasurer for the club. You should come join us. The next meeting will be June 10th at 11:30.

If you want some help, I left contact info in my PM. Give me a call.

I got the PM but was working late. I will try to give you a call tonight. Thanks for reaching out. By the way I am located off county line so not too far from you.

Builder assist

I am nearly done with the Rv14 build i am currently working on and will be looking for another project. I am in OKC Mat 405-820-7313

Back