What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview RPM setup question

cropdusterdave

Well Known Member
Hey folks,

I've been working on getting my RV-7 dialed in and am having a small setup issue with RPM. The indication is way off on the low end. Displaying only about 1700 RPM static at WOT. When I check mag drop...the rt mag only drops 50 or so. However, the lt mag indicates a drop of like 500 rpm...which it is in reality not doing. Thinking I was going to have to mess with resistors, but I started to go through the book and I may have missed one thing. My pulse/revolution settings are off I believe. pins 32 and 34 have a value of 1.5 and 33 and 35 have a value of 3.0. I believe these are supposed to both be set to either 1 or 2. It is my understanding that the lycomings put out two pulses per revolution.....but only the positive is used for rpm? So 1? If it sounds like i'm clueless....it's because i'm clueless.

Setup is a Lyco O-320 with two magnetos. Any advice on the settings?

You should have a resistor installed on each P-lead to the EMS and use 2 pulses per revolution for a 4 banger. The Dynon will use the first RPM sensed from mag that comes online. When doing a mag check, it will use the last mag it senses.

EDIT: You should be using pins 32 and 33 for mag RPM, per the install manual.

Last edited:
What Raymo said. You should have a 30k or higher resistor in-line with the wire going to the p-lead.

1700/1.5=1133*2=2266
1200/1.0=1200*2=2400

Set both at 2 PPR and use the pins recommended and you should be good to go.

Back