What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (March 1, 2016) Garmin aera 660 Portable GPS

Garmin Tempe

Hi Steve
Without giving too many secrets away is the Garmin Tempe going to connect with the 660 in any future updates.
This would be great for us small guys for E6B calcs.

Thanks
Peter

Hi Steve
Without giving too many secrets away is the Garmin Tempe going to connect with the 660 in any future updates.
This would be great for us small guys for E6B calcs.

Thanks
Peter

Hello Peter,

That is an interesting idea, but probably not.

As you likely know, the Tempe wireless temperature sensor does work with Garmin D2 Bravo and D2 Charlie aviation watches.

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin TPMS with Aera 660 and/or G3X systems

Hi Garmin,

I see you have a Garmin TPMS system for motorcycles that works with Garmin zūmo? navigator. It seems to be some tire sensors and then a device which communicates with them to display among other things, the tire pressure.

Can such sensors be used on airplanes and communicate to the Aera 660 and/or G3X systems? If not, seems a logical 'alert' type system that could be an enhancement request.

If we're looking at feature requests, maybe the ability to read ADS-B traffic from a Stratux would be possible. The 660 already has the capability to receive and display ADS-B traffic, and it already has the ability to connect to a WiFi hotspot. If we could just get it to watch the traffic port on the Stratux WiFi we could have an economical traffic display.

Hi Garmin,

I see you have a Garmin TPMS system for motorcycles that works with Garmin zūmo? navigator. It seems to be some tire sensors and then a device which communicates with them to display among other things, the tire pressure.

Can such sensors be used on airplanes and communicate to the Aera 660 and/or G3X systems? If not, seems a logical 'alert' type system that could be an enhancement request.

Hello Tracy,

We took a look at that years ago, and tried some TPMS sensors on one of our aircraft.

They stick out a bit and we ultimately decided that the risk of wheel pant interference on some aircraft possibly leading to inflight loss of air and subsequent landing with a flat tire didn't have the proper risk/reward balance to pursue this.

Another case of "just because something is possible doesn't necessarily mean you should do it".

Thanks,
Steve

Comunication Protocal

Hi Steve,
You have probably already answered this on the previous 50 pages, but it is hard to tab through them all looking for a specific answer!

Question 1:
I have my area 660 wired into CH 2 on my GTX345 and have the 660 set to "GTX TIS-A In NEMEA & VHF Out"

On the GTX I have the RS-232 CH2 Input set to XPDR FHT 1 on the input and output

The 660 says "Not receiving data" I assume I need to reconfigure the settings?

Question 2: Can the 660 be a second GPS source for the GTX345, and if so, what should the Integrity be set to?

Question 3: On the GTX345 when I do the AHRS calibration it says "OFFST RNG" under Time Left, and never changes.

Question 4: I do not get a pressure altitude reading on the GTX345. I assume there is an error with the encoder wiring. I am using a Ameri-King AK-350. I did not connect the strob wire. Should I ?

Thank you !

Hi Steve,
You have probably already answered this on the previous 50 pages, but it is hard to tab through them all looking for a specific answer!

Question 1:
I have my area 660 wired into CH 2 on my GTX345 and have the 660 set to "GTX TIS-A In NEMEA & VHF Out"

On the GTX I have the RS-232 CH2 Input set to XPDR FHT 1 on the input and output

The 660 says "Not receiving data" I assume I need to reconfigure the settings?

Question 2: Can the 660 be a second GPS source for the GTX345, and if so, what should the Integrity be set to?

Question 3: On the GTX345 when I do the AHRS calibration it says "OFFST RNG" under Time Left, and never changes.

Question 4: I do not get a pressure altitude reading on the GTX345. I assume there is an error with the encoder wiring. I am using a Ameri-King AK-350. I did not connect the strob wire. Should I ?

Thank you !

Hello,

Page 153 of the Aera 660 Manual explains how to connect an Aera 660 to a GTX 345 transponder and how to configure it. The GTX serial port should be set to "CONNEXT FMT 1" and the Aera 660 serial port should be set to "Connext 57600 Baud".

Presently the Aera 660 cannot be a GPS position source for the GTX 345.

For your AHRS calibration, I would re-check the Internal AHRS Orientation settings. For most installations, connectors are FORWARD, vent is pointing to LEFT WING, and the yaw is 0 degs.

In reviewing the altitude encoder wiring for the GTX 345, I don't see any mention of needing to connect a "strob" wire or any place to do so. Is the Altitude Source 1 set to "GILLHAM"?

Thanks,
Steve

Question for you Steve,

After many months of being thrilled with the 660, I experienced a significant issue yesterday. Was ending a flight and being south of the field in a nice position to test my button pushing and autopilot response, I set up for an "ILS" on the 660. Tower cleared me for a long, straight in. All was working well. Autopilot tracked, HSI on 660 worked, but the visual depiction (in 3D Vision) of the runway disappeared somewhere around 3, 4 miles out. Just disappeared into the synthetic terrain view. I am on the latest software. Sorry if I missed previous conversation on this issue. But this shook my confidence in this device. It's always been rock solid before. What's up?

Last edited:
Steve,
My 6A sits nose high on the ground. Because it is tricycle gear it is hard to level on the ground. I have read conflicting information about the need to level the plane when calibrating the GTX345 AHRS. Right now the Area 660 is displaying a nose down attitude in level flight. I do not see anywhere in the Area 660 manual information on how to Cage or calibrate this display to re-set it to level. Fore flight does have that function.
Is there a way to reset the attitude indicator, or do I need to level the plane and calibrate the GTX 345?

Thanks!

Steve,
My 6A sits nose high on the ground. Because it is tricycle gear it is hard to level on the ground. I have read conflicting information about the need to level the plane when calibrating the GTX345 AHRS. Right now the Area 660 is displaying a nose down attitude in level flight. I do not see anywhere in the Area 660 manual information on how to Cage or calibrate this display to re-set it to level. Fore flight does have that function.
Is there a way to reset the attitude indicator, or do I need to level the plane and calibrate the GTX 345?

Thanks!

Hello,

If you are using a GDL 39 3D or GDL 51/51R/52/52R, you can issue a cage command on the 3D Vision page and reset the pitch angle in flight, but you can't do that with a GTX 345.

You will need to calibrate the GTX 345 attitude sensors with the aircraft at cruise pitch attitude with wings level.

Thanks,
Steve

My 6A sits nose high on the ground. Because it is tricycle gear it is hard to level on the ground.

FWIW, I have weighed a number of nosegear model RV's, and have found the easiest way to level one is to lower the nosewheel, not to raise the mains. Run the front tire off the edge of the taxiway next to your hangar, and if necessary scrape some gravel away under the nosewheel until you can level the canopy rails.

Changinng Flight Catagory Colors

With Garmin Pilot on my i-Phone I can change the colors of airport flight categories to match what I am use to seeing (green for VFR and red for IFR). I can not find that option on the Area 660, but have to believe it is there if the app has it. Doe anyone know how to do this?

Aera 660

I'm new to the Aera 660 and i'm curious if i can overlay my over 250 waypoints i've uploaded over the VNC? i can see them on the Topo view at a certain zoom level (which would be good if i could see them further out) but nothing shows on the VNC? i've created a route and activated it and now i can see it on the VNC but i don't use the 250 waypoints for routing. i just need to seem the waypoints and my relative position to them.

Does this integrate with Dynon?

I bought a G660 for use as a portable, but have decided to install it in my F4 as a backup EFIS and a dedicated traffic screen. I also bought the GDL39 3D. Now I'm wondering. 1.) does the Dynon GPS interface with the 660?
2.) do I need to upgrade the antenna to get XM Weather and XM Radio?
3.) Is my GDL 39 still useful or do I need a 52 of 52r or something else?
4.) with ADSB, do I even need XM Weather?

I'm new to the Aera 660 and i'm curious if i can overlay my over 250 waypoints i've uploaded over the VNC? i can see them on the Topo view at a certain zoom level (which would be good if i could see them further out) but nothing shows on the VNC? i've created a route and activated it and now i can see it on the VNC but i don't use the 250 waypoints for routing. i just need to seem the waypoints and my relative position to them.

Hello swixtt,

User defined waypoints are shown full time on the Map page and only when included in the active flight plan on the Enroute Charts and Terrain pages.

If you want the user waypoints to not be decluttered as soon when you range out on the Map page, you may go to the Map Setup, Point page and set the User Waypoint declutter range as high as you like (up to 800 nm).

Thanks,
Steve

I bought a G660 for use as a portable, but have decided to install it in my F4 as a backup EFIS and a dedicated traffic screen. I also bought the GDL39 3D. Now I'm wondering. 1.) does the Dynon GPS interface with the 660?
2.) do I need to upgrade the antenna to get XM Weather and XM Radio?
3.) Is my GDL 39 still useful or do I need a 52 of 52r or something else?
4.) with ADSB, do I even need XM Weather?

Hello Ron,
1. Not sure which Dynon unit you have, but it isn't uncommon for these units to accept NMEA data from an Aera 660.
2. If you wish to receive SXM weather/music (as well as ADS-B traffic/weather and attitude), you will need a GDL 52 or 52R.
3. The GDL 39 3D can be used for ADS-B traffic/weather and attitude if you don't need/want SXM weather/music.
4. It is a personal choice whether you are happy with free ADS-B weather, or prefer SXM weather/music (which isn't free).

Thanks,
Steve

Aera 660

That is great Steve, thanks for that. i'll try that declutter setup. any particular reason waypoints don't show on the VNC unless activated?

OK, i figured that out... the numbers greater than 2nm were hidden down below. kinda obscure when looking for it and if you can scroll down. i'll keep a look out for that sneaky ability!

This is going to be huge. by the way, i stuffed Topo Canada into it and is stellar in map view!

Last edited:
GMX 40/42 Compatibility With Area 660

Question for G3Expert

The Area 660 manual lists the GXM 40/42 antennas as compatible SiriusXM devices on page 138. Can you confirm this information? I have not seen any other reference to the GXM 40 antenna working with the 660.

Thanks!
Bill

Question for G3Expert

The Area 660 manual lists the GXM 40/42 antennas as compatible SiriusXM devices on page 138. Can you confirm this information? I have not seen any other reference to the GXM 40 antenna working with the 660.

Thanks!
Bill

Hello Bill,

Sorry, too much copy/paste from the Aera 796 manual. The Aera 660 can use GDL 51/51R and GDL 52/52R SXM music/weather receivers.

rrMqaWfQ_89Wt00YgKQ8hlenN4Kz1_OU9GwayR-emoV4dyPE0RzTzYRaJAs-n0M-lmF68S377164HNbXPAEuV2Rg8-Ptb4YtjAr4jq15B6eReBp-Om-099VLt6MNemac15KqxSSnUgtYh9mv0jYtIFOZoG0rS1SgNSfI2jjlmzZv8fS9w-WScl2mJSn931Oj45ZZOy34VIkdLIu4vRPC464R7bcoP-OUdgfp0DIthh_dyDnJWYNRFpnx8vfQrDWqk6UWop4JoYRMn9GO_sYSOoYZ8NFTKZ4n_Fl7Njr-xYJ2b57XGK3CkMvNa3b9zrl9uIe6MJJjxZtFyv1L2C-C1FG5PrrHxNO8GHy65ht626e72eiixLT96VCWrjy52QxMQjA_3ar03LiLa-yzzzKxIz3dlMZmc_LVJEc2OB7n1SkGh5-rgAn-p7qJjEPcIlNnQUvh2hhJ6zVpHch7juf7aXcGLZSL0Y1VI2Nmd2P4RUZ1QZL5oeZ0SWAaBN67Ugqi8FJZ2nEDG0Oyof2vza5c2HO0hNTCzeYyAWPRBL3gdM6XqKwB_bej8NSBD5xCmtI04yqdpyqj7VV7nNmcbAS-Cdefkg5zuirButwSVPA=w596-h754-no

xS4x7ypymw3uWW8E7w32BJ9nZbOjCiw2NvLbOHers-Sm7CcyJNTMjIYr7JL5VkRmYFTt4l5OfFaongo6fYlsI3CzH3T2w7mshqc-oNx5yYME1v9JalI94mO-ZdqOYMIe3kVncXiPDDxP51GCI9ivaQMyvL6MmRFGyCWuejpNhQ3wDuyZUM8Dcq4ksROzmFkZ6utCsYwMccokRBfp1HlE2Kt9UeoR1laX8YVzE6Bc2iCMQ-9D4Hp8DaTnybPFMZ5AKxy8NAdn1AmJE2mGSt69sv5IjCSt6j0VqXCb9Bq3YSBz8CkwMYOrEgmwPiur2iXZsOBOx3ki_G-Iec5mZY5dtOx_C95aItukn1fncvnBDoiZHqjN8uztBwPywf7bvy5sY-i8GzlDIywe1Th1S_Jci0hJYKTk_Ksq8I1c0GS9ds-laxMCm-vYCOQoqtcQjvTjV4yIIiFBkyPt2dkKQbEv5zcSr4iIOPYmNfH7npUynV3X5ymcf-FR8M7b20xLBl06oGg9OgENp7-O73r9g0OaSgHmxrBe4QogPmHROfJJCAqt-pEY82uDv3fOrS4eeP7Sa9DUiUFjjT9JOtKRNJOeHW5LlEpYdQKFWnGbRzE=w529-h754-no

Thanks,
Steve

Can I use Garmin Topo maps on an Aera 660?
If so will the aviation database (airports, navaids, etc) show overlaid over the topo map?
The Garmin Topo product no is:

PART NUMBER: 010-C1049-00

Fuel Flow EI FP5L

Steve,

I have a Electronic International FP5L fuel flow device installed in my aircraft. Now I want to linkup the area660 with the FP5L. The manual says the following:

10. (FP-5L Only) Connect the RS-232/422 Input Lines:
Connecting the FP-5L Input Lines to a compatible GPS unit allows the FP-5L to display Fuel to Destination, Fuel Reserve, Nautical Miles per Gallon and Statute Miles per Gallon information. The FP-5L has three GPS Receive Formats: 1. "In1" for all panel mount GPS units (9600 baud); 2. "In2" for Northstar (1200 baud); 3. "In3" for hand held GPS units (NEMA at 4800 baud). The protocol is 1 start bit, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit and the RS-232 update time of the GPS unit should be 1 to 2 seconds. The GPS unit may require some setup. You may want to contact a knowledgeable instrument shop or the GPS factory to help with the hookup and setup of the GPS unit. See the "Power-Up Programmable Settings" section in the FP-5(L) Operating Instructions to configure the FP-5L RS-232 input.

My area660 output configuration is setup to: Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out
to support SL40 protocol and a wing levler.

Do you think this configuration works with the FP5L as well?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards
gFlyer

Steve,

I have a Electronic International FP5L fuel flow device installed in my aircraft. Now I want to linkup the area660 with the FP5L. The manual says the following:

10. (FP-5L Only) Connect the RS-232/422 Input Lines:
Connecting the FP-5L Input Lines to a compatible GPS unit allows the FP-5L to display Fuel to Destination, Fuel Reserve, Nautical Miles per Gallon and Statute Miles per Gallon information. The FP-5L has three GPS Receive Formats: 1. "In1" for all panel mount GPS units (9600 baud); 2. "In2" for Northstar (1200 baud); 3. "In3" for hand held GPS units (NEMA at 4800 baud). The protocol is 1 start bit, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit and the RS-232 update time of the GPS unit should be 1 to 2 seconds. The GPS unit may require some setup. You may want to contact a knowledgeable instrument shop or the GPS factory to help with the hookup and setup of the GPS unit. See the "Power-Up Programmable Settings" section in the FP-5(L) Operating Instructions to configure the FP-5L RS-232 input.

My area660 output configuration is setup to: Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out
to support SL40 protocol and a wing levler.

Do you think this configuration works with the FP5L as well?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

When you select an RS-232 protocol on the Aera 660, the bottom of that page explains the protocol, and the explanation for the Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out explains that this protocol uses 9600 baud.

If your fuel flow gadget only supports NMEA at 4800 baud, then you can't use the protocol you have selected.

You have 2 serial ports, and there is a NMEA 4800 selection if your second serial port isn't already doing something more important.

Steve

Can I use Garmin Topo maps on an Aera 660?
If so will the aviation database (airports, navaids, etc) show overlaid over the topo map?
The Garmin Topo product no is:

PART NUMBER: 010-C1049-00

Hello rjtjrt,

We loaded this topo database on an Aera 660, and it seems to work. And yes, the navigation waypoints are drawn on top.

We hope you like a lot of clutter on your map!

Thanks,
Steve

@G3Expert(Steve),

Aero News Net is running a story today that the Connext interface is being rolled out for the benefit of FltPlan.com and FltPlanGo users... Allowing connectivity to Garmin devices to transfer ADS-B info, etc.

Will that connectivity extend to connecting a FltPLanGo tablet to the Aera 660?
Will the Aera 660 receive and display ADS-B data from a FltPlanGo tablet that's getting ADS-B info from a third-party device connected to the tablet? Stratux/Stratus, etc.

@G3Expert(Steve),

Aero News Net is running a story today that the Connext interface is being rolled out for the benefit of FltPlan.com and FltPlanGo users... Allowing connectivity to Garmin devices to transfer ADS-B info, etc.

Will that connectivity extend to connecting a FltPLanGo tablet to the Aera 660?
Will the Aera 660 receive and display ADS-B data from a FltPlanGo tablet that's getting ADS-B info from a third-party device connected to the tablet? Stratux/Stratus, etc.

Hello Rob,

Good question. Not sure whether or not it will connect to the Aera 660. If I find out more, I will update.

One additional FltPlan Go note. If you look at the Compatible Devices tab for the GDL 50/51/52, you will note that FltPlan Go supports receiving ADS-B traffic/weather, GPS, and attitude data from the GDL 50/52.

Thanks,
Steve

In Australia there is currently an trial SBAS signal being transmitted across the entire country.
Yes, we are just now getting into the 20th century here!!
Our penny pinching gov has avoided the cost of SBAS till now.
Apparently “it started in JUN 17 and will run until JUN 19. However it has been deemed not to be used for operational purposes and so the safety of life message has been set to '0'. This means that all certified hardware is ignoring the signal. The safety of life message needs to be set to '1' for you to receive the signal. All 'un-certified' hardware (ie smartphones, satnav, hand held units) can read and use the signal.”

My question is will a Garmin Aera 660 pick up and use an SBAS correction if the Safety of life message has been set to ‘0’?

Also, on a completely separate issue, does turning off wifi and/or Bluetooth on the 660 make the battery last longer before needing to be recharged, when used for navigation?

Last edited:
In Australia there is currently an trial SBAS signal being transmitted across the entire country.
Yes, we are just now getting into the 20th century here!!
Our penny pinching gov has avoided the cost of SBAS till now.
Apparently ?it started in JUN 17 and will run until JUN 19. However it has been deemed not to be used for operational purposes and so the safety of life message has been set to '0'. This means that all certified hardware is ignoring the signal. The safety of life message needs to be set to '1' for you to receive the signal. All 'un-certified' hardware (ie smartphones, satnav, hand held units) can read and use the signal.?

My question is will a Garmin Aera 660 pick up and use an SBAS correction if the Safety of life message has been set to ?0??

Also, on a completely separate issue, does turning off wifi and/or Bluetooth on the 660 make the battery last longer before needing to be recharged, when used for navigation?

Hello RJTJRT,

Good question. We will look into it.

What are you seeing on the Aera 660 GPS status page? Are you getting a 3D Differential fix?

Yes, turning off the wireless interfaces saves battery power.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve

When I go to the GPS Info screen.
In GPS page it says “3D GPS Location”. Accuracy says “10ft”
In GLONASS page it says “3D GPS Location”. Accuracy says “10ft”

John

Last edited:
Hello RJTJRT,

The Australian testing is using an SBAS satellite number that was retired in 2007, so our GPS receivers are not attempting to use that SBAS satellite.

If it was permanent, we would most certainly add support for this satellite, but that number is only temporarily reserved from May 1, 2017 through January 31, 2019.

Nonetheless, it is great to see that this capability is coming to Australia and New Zealand!

Thanks,
Steve

No traffic button

Hi Steve,
If you refer to the screen shot picture in Garmin pilots guide, 1.4 Accessing system functionality, page 15, Map options there is a traffic button and the animate weather button. For some reason my unit does not show the traffic button and the animate weather button is there but it isn't active. My buddies 660 is as pictured in guide. How do I get this option to show? Currently have firmware version 3.30. I am trying to turn on traffic.
Thanks,

Hi Steve,
If you refer to the screen shot picture in Garmin pilots guide, 1.4 Accessing system functionality, page 15, Map options there is a traffic button and the animate weather button. For some reason my unit does not show the traffic button and the animate weather button is there but it isn't active. My buddies 660 is as pictured in guide. How do I get this option to show? Currently have firmware version 3.30. I am trying to turn on traffic.
Thanks,

Hello Paul,

The animate weather and traffic buttons are only available if you have a traffic and weather receiver like the GDL 39/39R/50/50R/52/52R or GTX 345/345R/45R.

Do you have one of these traffic and weather receivers?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
That is a fast response and great service on this beautiful Saturday afternoon. To answer your question, no I do not. I had a brand new GTX327and limited funds so I went with a Freeflight Ranger Lite In &Out system for my ADS-B. It has WiFi and sends traffic to my Ipad. My hope was I could send the WiFi signal also to my Garmin 660 as well to show traffic if needed. Is this possible? Love the GPS!
Thanks again,

Hi Steve,
That is a fast response and great service on this beautiful Saturday afternoon. To answer your question, no I do not. I had a brand new GTX327and limited funds so I went with a Freeflight Ranger Lite In &Out system for my ADS-B. It has WiFi and sends traffic to my Ipad. My hope was I could send the WiFi signal also to my Garmin 660 as well to show traffic if needed. Is this possible? Love the GPS!
Thanks again,

Hello Paul,

You are welcome!

Sorry, no support for a FF Ranger.

Save your pennies. The world's best dual frequency ADS-B traffic and weather receivers with attitude sensors are only $799.

qIwq-Aj4VVkHn_YTd0PAP1AzEgR53ryzZZbX1oCAF9faFPy-yuznQXKlXKLRiG4T_9lUO-iYa7bdI1QKRe1NGKMuqA5Hdd7H8T1sZ0Xjyy5WWn1HuyE6WbmItndrS4juJsOf3F0NfmN48zm74NQMjRWnhVSQBLOkrHuUI2hFrDzsguE136VY2trzRopusLqNcf0xIs84-Nkj35OKlRaVIPpdyCfcgGuGJ0OtpZs5Z9d02kZkdqPuWeE0CdFotKHuSYapBall403cGdnnVjh4j2foc8nrNalcYfcrHUz5rbXOJOvu_8DOYkGFOwTL_OBJFqfLEKnNtsOSEXS0iMFmwJJujzIj_oIUa9ccErT4Z9_gaSImqiNZFmKf5g9NXdcZe_R7GVnGLYeCcqkfVYzitJGhD4GA_2UhJ-JSY5M4G3k-zMH02JjuWXKoT01g-os75EnoYHEKr5dX5Mput6XNrJYVuWJYQPRB1UfWiXKf5apvH0N-glJFskoVlq-J8HjnXfRz7tqnssD8GZNVlZUaajXBO7IXwh1xRchCX-ezCrTVAJzcZXIJAENyU-pfl7y1RCFio9f7-oGvOWzT1JCbaDKQy6_7RPpCHQBmZQQ=w509

gBLw0T3ZYcPVhuzsZtM1I80nK_IMvhzO6Zezjh7kAqSelnIoeTiU5kzi9B4pgDyRt9_38Hi4Zfdnw-nHKP-r88kJGfV7davk3b-544s5MG8Arz1dJPEUh7V8ALe-EFXL_tdFxcHW4-qoD0h5qPiN1tRK8zVZ5XEuPcrW8Qoj5SjOZCwG82-S0YHPyKeDs382wtMNMMRwaRNSbMe-pLkudBcHMLInPT7cUFZRVSmKY3sHbC-VFL9E7TNUqevlzuj6tvJZOOMm69D0qCO49wYjWolQXnCt50ebwCRQ1Vw5DBUn1hqXA-MN8dIhHRQIXaizkv0Uvb02ntShvHrazdECoEF3U1tN9ItVFEshoibk9TiBIcR4p0lJrxUC-4eE-6A3aZhDu_Kfv2n600-KWdRVnYwtECpgiu44YahcCW5T_XBQyAFJvdm6iva7kg9qyDB6H28csAKzoxcfiqtyyo8qCFFZPf2VriBeNyM8GdxooPZ-RKPHS2xlFoniUrrwwlNPuWtRc-xPOok6nUMWxZjUHMETtRWH4x5awpJFL9etrjWgGU-1qWXETvIQfqNiXxXTB3sW_uFHtF1-5GAMwNihJ85xV-eDT6700xyqzVg=w509-h299-no

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Are Garmin and ForeFlight planning to allow the GDL 50 to work with ForeFlight (like the GDL 39 series did)? If so, approximately when?

Thanks,

Hello Carl,

Many would like for Foreflight to add support for the GDL 5X series of ADS-B and SXM traffic/weather receivers, but at this point there is no indication of when or if this will happen.

Thanks,
Steve

Shorten or expand GMA 25 cable

I already have an Aera 660 with Antenna GMA 25 MCX which works well, but i need to shorten the Antennacable to 3 feet (Glaresheeld) or to expand it if i mount the Antenna on the Back of the Fuselage. Is it a problem to shorten the Cable and if i want to expand it 6 feet, which typ of cable is the best.

Markus

Thanks Steve, do I need anything else? Does the 660 need to go through an interface or is it a direct connection? I’m looking at a retro-fit for an RV3A.

Thanks Steve, do I need anything else? Does the 660 need to go through an interface or is it a direct connection? I?m looking at a retro-fit for an RV3A.

Hello Chris,

Nothing special needed. Just connect the G5 and Aera 660 RS-232 interfaces together like shown on page 7-5 of the Rev. 4 G5 installation manual.

If you ever decide you want to expand this system to the next level, add a couple of servos and a GMC 507 autopilot control panel, and you have everything you need for flight planning, navigation, and autopilot. The GMU 11 magnetometer is optional.

t9_Ptv8y9zzUEICsLDVE7RNVPZcz35CD1Ug_Z_RFUi9jsmYtwxSZJ2JNHI_XoxjHUDaq0kX6cvK3eKgmOkTvRrTyVKI9mlBUPhOTh8ZLDUZ8UvAfX5Kxp1GfSF5K8HzJIjdZEGJo9NCMNeW6GYXkHfdqiII1Kcz0D2uxQFId_kwU3_XuOSAsWFLphOHIh8BvUDqPa1bSDq9jIRZQRSZtZ1jWDYHMuCpaPLiNf0jbG-LaozwIViWeCRqPUDllcowhpjOVqsW5GAjyVVqiwXz48Qh2fqi_tQLNToeQOUWLPIdiXUpWlVTbRCM9UGreba3qv6LFMPGheDHVRCGWwgmjp8VE5tEU0gOtbVPrLxL18bguoFy8iJmUHIsK0axyWb_I8y6O-6QHFXCCHSjm71Fwar6qJG_J__t1QFZkjgDPT_K7kIJh9ZLD7H39Y1fdl-EoNwEXkk1xfI9u42IDvhiSuQZxqXCYOdU82VZVyMaixG6xcq2nA0ayOHHHqC4qAnQofG6H94im0MSeLOjEe7m5naCrjEeE_8vNKPWp3dQPAihU53nwy5YJfSjMgjkYJdF9brbnSZKyuYwy6rLjzTwFyf0TMG-e_zATiUPrXn-AkBmkesNUyd_lp45FFiZkpHAmWHsWDNoQddQLjarg-5jwwxIN=w563-h869-no

Please contact us directly by phone or email shown below if you have additional installation questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
After my last update my 660 says that the Airport Data is Corrupt. Any ideas where I should look. I tried to re-download and install the database.

After my last update my 660 says that the Airport Data is Corrupt. Any ideas where I should look. I tried to re-download and install the database.

Hello nippaero,

Rather than try to play 20 questions over the internet, it is always better to contact us directly. [email protected]

Once we have a few more facts, we are confident will be able to get you fixed up.

Thanks,
Steve

Inherited Aera 660/Slow Downloads

I purchased an RV-4 with a Garmin Aera 660 handheld. The other day I purchased updates to the data and have been trying for about 24+ hours to download the new data and it's dribbling in at a snails pace.

Using the same WiFi connection it took about five minutes total including booting up to update my iPad with the same recent monthly updates on Foreflight.

What's the problem with Garmin, using either the WiFi connection and or the FlyGarmin desktop application?

If this is Garmin's idea of customer service, Foreflight/Boeing are going to leave them in the dust!
:mad:

New Aera 660

Bought the Aera 660 and GDL52 from Spruce at SnF. Brought it home and connected it to the WiFi at the house with no issues and updated the firmware to 3.50. Connected to the GDL52 with no issues.

No internet weather!!! I rebooted, reconnected, connected to phone and still no luck.

Called tech support and its a known issue with NO timeframe for a software fix.

One of the main reasons I wanted this unit over my Aera 560 was the internet weather.

Please Garmin provide a fix ASAP!!! Thanks

Back