What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airparks in San Antonio Area...

idleup

Well Known Member
I have been looking at several airpark websites but am unable to get a comprehensive list of all airparks (existing AND in development) in area around San Antonio, for example they do not show Meigs field which know is there, I just want to make sure that I dont miss any as I am planning a trip out there in a couple months and want to have a Realtor show us our options. Does anyone have that information?

I guess that brings me to ask another question, does anyone know a good Realtor familiar with Airpark property in the San Antonio area that can show us around when we fly out there mid-April? (Maybe I should post in another thread as to not convolude the original question...

- Matt

Unless there are two of them, the new Meigs is (going to be) on the west side of Houston...no? I could have that wrong....

I've been where you are Matt - looking for airpark info - a very slippery proposition. Most of those that are listed are sold out, and proposed ones are heard to track down. How about a list of the places you know about, and then we can see if we know of any others?

Paul

A question for y'all.

I often hear the term "hill country" in reference to Texas------usually included in a statement such as "If you must live in Texas, at least get into the hill country".

I know that local perception can alter word meaning/usage-------where I live,(in the Sierra foothills), the term "Hills" are usually used for what passes for mountains in many states.

Anyway, what and where is the Texas "hill country", and just how high are they??

I have spent time in San Antoino, sure would not consider it to be "hill country" in my own frame of reference. El Passo, now there are some hills there, a few mountains even.

Thanks in advance for the up coming geography lesson.

Mike,

Wikipedia has a pretty good description of the Texas Hill Country. San Antonio isn't in the hill country but just west on I-10 near Boerne would be considered "hill country". Some of the more popular cities people like to visit in the hill country (in no particular order) are Fredricksburg, Kerville, Comfort, Johnson City, Marble Falls, Burnet, Wimberley.

I-35 roughly parallels the Balcones Fault Line, west of which is the start of the hill country. I'm from New Braunfels which is just on the edge of the hill country.

The "hills" are just that. No mountains to speak of.

Larry

Last edited:
"Hill" is a relative term

If you've not spent much time in Texas, you might not be able to appreciate how much we welcome a break in the unrelenting flatlands. Being a transplanted Okie, I can tell you that the first time I visited the Hill Country, I needed a map to tell me when I got there. It wasn't obvious to me from the terrain.

But that said, I think the reason people like the Hill Country is not so much for the hills as the culture. It really feels like Texas.

Here's my list of San Antonio airparks.

Alison Airpark Airport 7TS2
(Live With Your Plane says new lots available)
Ray Ender Phone: 512-396-0765
San Marcos, TX

Comfort Falls Aviation Estates
(LWYP says new lots available)
Sandy Fletcher Smith
713-775-9888
[email protected]
http://www.comfortfalls.com
118 FM1621, Comfort, TX 78013

Threshold Ranch
(LWYP says new lots available)
Robert Bruce
830-981-2345 Ext 10
[email protected]
2864 Boerne Stage Rd, Boerne, TX 78006

Huber Air Park
(Web site says new lots available)
http://www.huberairpark.com/
2489 Rudeloff Road, Seguin TX 78155
Henry F. Coffeen III
830-303-6254 cell 210-380-8484 Fax 830-303-0008
[email protected]
Lots are .9 acre for $50K.

Kestrel Airpark
http://www.gvtc.com/~fwilkes/index.htm

Heritage Airpark
http://www.heritageairpark.com/hoa.html
524 Zuehl Crossing Road, New Berlin, TX
Tom or Brian Cook
[email protected]
210.834.9790 or 830.420.2573
From IH -10 (between San Antonio & Sequin)
Exit 2538, Linne Rd. or FM 775 (8 miles).
At New Berlin continue south toward LaVernia (1.0 mile).
Turn right on Zuehl Crossing Road (at the water tower).
Go 1/4 mile. The Airfield gate is on the right.
Heritage homes entrance is the next gate on the right.

Elm Creek Airpark
100 Tailwind Drive, Seguin, TX 78155-0791
830-303-1462

Midlake
Elmendorf Air Park, Inc.
Stephen M. Bailey
15039 Cassiano Road, Elmendorf, TX 78112-9794
210-635-8215, 512-635-7013, 210-635-7013

Zuehl Airpark
P.o. Box 430, Marion, TX 78124
830-914-4043

The Enclave @ Canyon Lake
Johnnie Long Sr. 830-935-3765
Bennie Brownlee 210-771-7222
[email protected]
www.enclaveatcanyonlake.com

As one living in the area, there is also The Landing in Blanco about 20 miles north of Kestrel.

http://www.airparks.com/3ta5/3ta5.html

Mike , for a natives perspective, the "Hill Country" is just that, no mountains. Just continuous waves of hills covered in Live Oak trees, limestone rock outcroppings, with some very beautiful rivers running through. This area also gives it's name to "Hill Country" architecture, homes with limestone and wood exterior and metal roofs.

Last edited:
I keep looking down at the site for "Comfort Falls", and have yet to see the runway - I looked again the other day, but I was a few miles south, so maybe I've missed it. Fletchair announced it a couple years ago - maybe it's taking a little longer than expected?

more to west

There is also Terra Linda and Silver Wings airparks around Kerrville area. Not too far from San Antonio. Both paved

San Antonio airparks

Hi Matt:

Here are my opinions about some of the places mentioned in the thread, in no particular order:

I actually lived at Zuehl Field, east of SAT, for about eight years. If you were considering looking at it, I'd recommend you carefully do your homework first. I have mixed feelings about it. Maybe things have changed since I moved away 7 years ago (I hope so), but when I lived there, it had multiple issues, not the least of which is a grass-over-gravel runway that will tend to nick the heck out of your prop and horizontal stabilizer in no time, plus some truly wacky zoning problems and some "Hatfield and McCoy" battles that have been going on for years. Tread carefully. It's a neat place with some great people living there, but it's like your nutty Uncle Floyd. You never know when it's gonna embarrass you or make you call the cops.

I owned property at Kestrel Airpark before it was even complete. It's a lovely place on the edge of the Hill Country, with a nice (albeit occasionally challenging) runway, and I would have been happy to call it home if I hadn't moved away from Texas due to my job. If you want more details about Kestrel, let me know, or Google it.

Huber Airpark is fairly remote and isolated. (Some people enjoy that, and some don't.) It's in the flat farmland near Seguin, with fairly boring topography and not much nearby, but the runway is nice grass. I believe they also have an acro practice box on-site, so you'd get a real airshow in your front yard every once in a while. Seguin is certainly a great town, but it's 30-40 minutes from the city -- a bit far away for me, personally.

Elm Creek is a well-established grass strip out near Seguin, with nice homes and a lot of good folks and neat airplanes. Its runway does have a pretty good dip in the middle -- this is not a big deal except in the rainy season when, as I recall, the runway has been known to be unusable for a week or so until it dries out.

My favorite "live with your plane" airpark near SAT is Heritage Airpark, just a few miles from Zuehl. Like some of the other strips, it's a bit remote from the big city, but they have a wonderful grass runway, good zoning and CCRs, and some fun fly-ins and activities. They seem to have learned from Zuehl, and did it correctly, right from the start. (They did have some challenging battles with the local lawmakers at first, but I believe that's long been settled now). Their runway is perhaps the smoothest grass runway I have ever landed on.

Hope that helps to refine your choices a bit. Please let me know if you have any further questions about these or other locations in the San Antonio area.

Last edited:
Thank you all. The response to my post has been great. I have until April to make a "game plan" of where I would like to have a Realtor take us to look around. I currently live in Central California and am just considering SA due to some wacky things going on in this state.

P.S. Paul, you are correct Meigs is in Houston area, I was confused...

- Matt

I forgot to mention that currently there are two runway lots with for sale and two homes on the runway (one with hanger, one without). PM me if you want any numbers.

San Antonio Airparks

Does anyone have any current information on the airparks near san antonio? The previous information was really helpful to begin researching. Any help would be appreciated!

Current info

Not much has changed from previous posts. I hangar my two planes at Zuehl - as discussed before, still has some Hatfield and McCoy issues, but it's the best place to hang out for flying fun and interesting people. Don't know if I'd build there, but a great place to rent.

Kestrel is (in my opinion) the nicest, but the runway is still "interesting", but still flyable in most conditions. The best for a "country club" atmosphere.

Huber is not really a "residential airpark" in my opinion, but an okay runway.

Elm Creek - a little older, but they have some nice homes and nice people. I think the schools system is the Seguin ISD, which is not the greatest from what I've heard or seen.

There's also San Geronimo on the west side of town. Nice folks, but kind of sleepy.

Hope this helps . . .

Rick

What is Canyon Lake airpark like north of San Antonio? Anyone have any knowledge of the airpark owners there?

http://canyonlakeairport.net/

I looked at it about 8 years ago when I was shopping for an airpark lot in the Hill Country and got the idea that they were shooting for high-end homes. It was nothing more than a beat-up runway and a real estate trailer, with stakes marking out where streets would be. I haven't noticed that it has taken off from that, but haven't really looked down at it when flying over recently.

Paul

What is Canyon Lake airpark like north of San Antonio? Anyone have any knowledge of the airpark owners there?

I looked at it about 8 years ago when I was shopping for an airpark lot in the Hill Country and got the idea that they were shooting for high-end homes. It was nothing more than a beat-up runway and a real estate trailer, with stakes marking out where streets would be. I haven't noticed that it has taken off from that, but haven't really looked down at it when flying over recently.

It's also worth noting that Canyon Lake Airport has had some serious flooding in the past. (I realize that the current drought in Texas makes this seem like a non-issue, but things change. Property anywhere near a body of water in Texas WILL flood someday.) I once flew over Canyon Lake when the south end of the runway was completely submerged.

Also, the previously-mentioned Zuehl Airport, which is not normally associated with "waterfront property," flooded in 1998, as a result of a tiny, 3-foot wide creek rising out of its banks and becoming a half-mile wide torrent. I lost a ton of tools and nearly lost my airplane. My hangar had 18 inches of mud in it. Ugh.

"Build high." Just a word to the wise.

Thanks Rick. We are looking to possibly build a house and hanger but would be willing to rent or buy just don't know the san antonio area well. A trip down there is in our future to check it all out.
The information is appreciated.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Brad, just realized you are new here, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Good to have you here, and thanks for your service:D

I'm bumping this topic as the family and I might be moving to SA this summer. To the OP, what did you find out? Also, any new relavant information would be greatly appreciated.

SAT area search

Making the move to Texas this summer. Been narrowing the search to the SAT area but really could go anywhere. The airpark scene seems attractive. This thread was a wealth of information. I really need a hangar for the -10 so hangars for sale are important. Any additional inputs would be appreciated.

i live at Elm Creek, just SE of Seguin...

and yes, it does slope downhill - from both ends - but it's been a non-issue. have been there over a year and never had wetness yet that kept us from using it for more than a day; the veterans there tell me it's rare for it to be wet for more than that. have been flying our RV9, Cessna 150, and J3 off the grass there without any issues and love it there.

someone misspoke about Huber: it's got a somewhat dippy but otherwise nice hard surface.

we've had a couple of sales lately at Elm Creek, call me at 405-488-5488 and i can let find out and you know current availability and give you a realtor or owner contact for it and maybe some nearby ones. don o.

Bourne Stage has started a new development called Threshold Ranch. I believe they have a website. Nice airport but on the high end of aviation airparks.

Pat

Back