What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is a F-4 Raider?

Looking at the RV-14 wings vs RV-4 wings...it'd be a major re-engineering effort. Structurally for sure...maybe some aerodynamic considerations as well given the different airfoil and it's associated pitching moment.

Vince ole buddy ole pal,

Still plan to have a completed fuselage at this year's AirVenture? If so, what are you doing for the wing center section station? Are you using the old Rocket bolt pattern or Van's?

Thinking of running up for a day but only of you got the fuselage there, otherwise there's no point for me. Retirement is getting a little boring. Might need a project to fill some time.

Randy: We would all LOVE to see you start an F4 project! No one documents their work or explains it better than you!

Lee...

Randy,

Wing bolt pattern depends on whether you use the stock (RV-4 type) Sport Wing, or an RV-8 wing, as Brad has done. Regardless, it's all doable, particularly for a master builder like you (pun not intended.. it's true!).

Loyd Remus will be at our booth to display the RV-8 type spar carry through that he's making. Brad Hood will be there displaying his brand new F4 Rocket II with the 4 cylinder.

We're trying to get a fuselage skeleton to the show, but it may, or may not happen. We've got the parts, but we've been distracted by other work. There's just not enough hours in the day, and it takes a lotta hours to put together a fuselage, get ready for the show (including Flyboy Accessories stuff), and still ship stuff out to waiting builders.

If only someone nearby, say someone from Indiana, let's say the Mooresville area of Indiana, would get on board and start putting together an F4 Raider. Boy, would that be a boon to everyone involved. Isn't that right, Randy?

I can't make excuses... well, other than I like to sleep at night... and that building a SINGLE airplane takes a LOT of time... and trying to wrangle together a new production kit... well, let's just say that my life is a lot like herding cats right now. Not that I'd trade it. :D

So, what other work you ask? Well, aside from trying to ship parts to guys who are AOG or otherwise waiting for support parts, we're also trying to get the NEW empennage kits, or at least the first production prototype, ready for Oshkosh. The new empennage kits will have the appropriate "beef" added to a couple of areas where beef is appropriate. Stop by the show and talk to us if you want more details. With a bit of luck, we'll be able to just show you firsthand.

Now, about those rumors... the ones about a new tapered wing... nothing to see here.... yet.

Watch for news here:
http://www.f1aircraft.com/team-rocket-home-f1-rocket-f4-raider/f1-rocket-f4-raider-news-updates/

Last edited:
Some one asked my yesterday if I would build another plane after this 14 and I said that I did not think I had another one in me.

But a lighter tapered winged rocket.......

I am in my 12th flying season with my tapered wing F1 and it is hands down the best airplane that I have flown. My altitude speeds are amazing and it stalls about 10 knots slower then the standard wing.

Well, thanks for the compliments. Not sure if I'm a master builder or not, but I am a persistent one. ;)

I'm making plans to stop by one day during show week. I'd like to talk to you and see what you have. I'm seriously considering a couple of options. First is to build a F4 to quickbuild stage and then either sell it, or continue on. If I continue on, I'm going for a Lindy. No other reason for me to build yet another airplane. (Got to have some goal out there). I'm fortunate that my son is a senior engineer at Textron so that gives me some access to machinery, technology (3D), and an employee discount at Lycoming. :eek:

I have a bunch of questions but I'll save them for in-person. Not sure what your plans are for quickbuild kits but I have an interest in doing that as well. I'd be willing to buy a trailer and do delivery too. I don't want to interfere with any plans you already have in place, but if I can assist in getting the Rocket back out into the flying community and make a few dollars on the side, I'm willing to explore those opportunities.

I'll see you up there sometime in the middle of the week. I'm still working on housing options. I'll be bringing my boat up and fishing most of the week so I hope the walleye are biting!

Been following Vince's work intently for a year or so now. While I have don't have a lot I can contribute at the moment, I did promise to spread the word to the extent I can and become a builder ASAP!

I had never been interested in the tapered wing models, but after doing some research they are pretty darn cool. Vince, count me as an EVO enthusiast...but when the time comes, I'll build whichever model is available.

I thought the supply of the tapered wings dried up? Besides that, its my understanding that those wings are from another airplane and thus 50 pounds heavier than they should be for a F-1... Seems like they would be WAY overkill for a 4 banger to drag around.

The EVO wing is indeed heavier then it needs to be. You could walk on the ailerons and not leave a mark on them, the flaps are just the same. Carbon fibre control surfaces could get rid of a lot of that weight and I am sure that you could also go down a thickness on the wing skins.
Even with the extra weight the plane will out climb the standard wing anywhere above 4500', it stalls 10knots slower and is 2 gallons per hour faster at altitude (anywhere above 8000' it is faster, the higher you go the greater the difference)
It will be more expensive then a standard square wing. This is my 12th flying season with the EVO. I have never owned an airplane that long before and I have no intention of letting this one go!!!

Tom

What is carbon fibre? I've been knee deep for the past 4 years in vacuum bagged CF. Is this that strange silver material the RV14 appears to be made from? The parts that I make now are strong light & black. Is this close to carbon fibre....... or fiber? :)

Cheers
HR

Last edited:
Bob, let me know when you're ready to make about 200 sets! Maybe we should take this offline for now so we don't cause mass hysteria. Hit me at [email protected] or [email protected]

When you do the new wing, please make sure you have AT LEAST 60 gallons available (for the 540). I know this goes well beyond John's concept of "local area hot rod", but some of us actually use these things for transportation. 1000 mile legs would be most welcome!

Last edited:
Brad Hood's F4 Rocket II is now flying. See more here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=151394

Spectacular...

Brad%20Hood%203.JPG

Brad%20Hood%202.JPG

Wow!!

That looks great.. I would love to see it go head to head with a similarly powered RV-8. It certainly looks faster😉

How is CG and baggage capacity compared to an -8? I assume performance is similar enough to be a wash for aerobatics, and the F-4 obviously wins in looks...

How is CG and baggage capacity compared to an -8? I assume performance is similar enough to be a wash for aerobatics, and the F-4 obviously wins in looks...

Brad tells me that the CG came out great, towards the forward limit when solo, just where you want it. No real surprise though. The 6 cylinder Rockets are plenty nose heavy, so swapping engines and moving batteries around fixes it.

As with any plane, an accurate W&B should be performed so you can verify your options are all in the right place!

Baggage capacity depends on engine choice, etc.same, as other aircraft.

Darn that plane is GORGEOUS! Any info on those main wing fillets? custom job? they are just icing on the cake to me.

Catto for me

GO time,
I am using a Catto Fixed Pitch prop on my plane. I had one on my RV-4 and it was great. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks!

I wonder what angle valve / catto / smoke tank + batt would look like up front cg wise..

The battery is up front on the F4s.

The angle valve won't fit inside the cowling. Sorry. I guess you could make a new cowling, but it'd be a helluva lot easier to use a parallel valve and just put in a baggage compartment, or inverted oil system, or lead brick, or a flywheel weight, or just use a constant speed prop.

No offense to Catto's very fine products intended!!! Hmmm, if only they started making CS props too... yeah, that's the ticket! :D

No offense to Catto's very fine products intended!!! Hmmm, if only they started making CS props too... yeah, that's the ticket! :D

They are building constant speed props. Very few though. They are also going through the process for FAA certification. When both of those go into full swing, look out. I just spent 10 days there doing an ?internship? (building my other project).

Btw, would love to build an F4.

The battery is up front on the F4s.

The angle valve won't fit inside the cowling. Sorry. I guess you could make a new cowling, but it'd be a helluva lot easier to use a parallel valve and just put in a baggage compartment, or inverted oil system, or lead brick, or a flywheel weight, or just use a constant speed prop.

Ah gotcha, ok good to know, thanks!

They are building constant speed props. Very few though. They are also going through the process for FAA certification. When both of those go into full swing, look out. I just spent 10 days there doing an ?internship? (building my other project).

Btw, would love to build an F4.

I had heard the rumors about the new props. Good for them! Yay!

Back