What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft paint disposal - Las Vegas

JordanGrant

Well Known Member
So I'm finally trying to get rid of my leftovers from painting the airplane 9 years ago. I'm also trying to be a responsible, environmentally correct citizen and dispose of the stuff appropriately as HAZMAT. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anyone that will take the stuff. Unless someone knows the proper procedures/place to dispose of this stuff in the Las Vegas area, I'm going to have to go to the old standby and just buy a bunch of kitty litter, I suppose. Any ideas?

Republic - wouldn't take it

Thanks for the suggestion, Erik. Unfortunately, I actually went to the hazardous waste disposal thing today at Republic, and they refused to take my paint. Apparently, it wasn't "household" enough for them. The guys there preferred that I just go dump it in the desert, I guess...

Wow

:eek: Never had a problem with it in my area. In fact, I've taken more than my "household allotment" without question. Sounds like your options are few. Maybe take it up to the next Burning Man festival and let the artists have at it.

I have read somewhere that if you mix up the paint to cure, then fill it full of cat litter and let it solidify, they will take it at a hazardous waste drop off site.

I have had to do this before. Surely all landfills have different rules, but just fill the can with sand or kitty litter so there is no more liquid, then it is no different than anything else with paint on the outside. Just drop it in the garbage.

Ask the Experts

I had an aircraft painted at North Las Vegas airport in 2001. Net search yields two companies advertising painting there. Perhaps you could ask them how to dispose of the paint.

Don

Cat litter..

The cat litter trick is recommended for latex paints. Our city won't even take latex paint. You have to do the cat litter thing and then just put it all in the regular trash.

I don't think cat litter is approved for more toxic paints though.

Michael-

Why don't you just catalyze it all and be done with it, you don't have to spray it.
It becomes a solid hard rubbery block and should be no different from your other curbside trash.

In Boulder City you just take it to the dump and put it on a pallet with other paints. Maybe you can take it there.

Randy

Dry it up

I work in the haz waste business every day. I also happen to be a certified environmental manager in Nevada. If you open the cans and let it dry, or catalyze it first if it helps dry better and dispose of catalyst, you can dispose of it as solid waste in your trash can. As Mike suggested, you can spread it on pieces of cardboard or anything else that is disposable to expedite drying. Easy peasy. Of course, make sure the drying area is well ventilated...but if you painted an airplane with it you already know that.

I do not know if you have a place to display such things but you might have enough to paint your tool box and some other things to match your plane and then you would have a matched set. I had a friend that once painted his car to match his plane.

Back