What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag Compass

All I can tell you is

My FAA inspector from the local FSDO did NOT require a mechanical backup to my already battery backed up Dynon.

Frank
7a and a headache

My DAR required a compass

I actually picked one up at Brookstone at the local mall for $15 before my last DAR inspection on my gyroplane. The DAR was fine with that - he said a wet compass just had to be in there for the inspection. He would not let me by with a blue mountain EFIS Lite in my RV-8A, even though it displays heading information. Bottom line, I would put whatever you want in there.

Autoparts store

Have some VERY cheesy looking compasses...well its not like your ever going to use it are you?...Gee it might even accidentally fall out of the plane after the inspection.

Just can't get the quality these days...:)

Frank
7a

Mee Too!

GRT was sufficient on my inspection, even though it is currently suffering inaccuracy from RF interference. I was gonna be way cool and not have any steam guages in my current 8. Lesson learned and I will not repeat that mistake. Get a Vertical Card and panel mount it. In my next 8 and 10, I will definitely have the following:

Vertical Card, Airspeed Indicator, AI(TruTrack), DG and VSI.

All will be 2.25" and located in plain view.

BTW: I will also have two fuel guages as backup.

GRT backups. 2 1/4 (2.25) instruments

I am planning on a GRT with 2.25" Airspeed, Altimeter, and turn and bank coordinator. I will also have a wet compass. The only problem that I am having is finding a reasonably priced 2 1/4 Altimeter. I am sure that I can get the Airspeed for under $200, the turn coordinator from trutrak for under $500, but a good quality altimeter I can not find in this price range. I plan on flying IFR, so I would like a TSO'd Altimeter. Any help would be great.

Back