What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic squeezer problem

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So I?m using my pneumatic rivet squeezer for the first time in maybe 15 years (!). The ram, fully retracted, extends 0.3?, and fully extended, the gap (with no set installed) is 0.4?. I took the yoke off and the ram out, and it?s a fixed ram (non-adjustable). So I?m wondering if the squeezer has something wrong inside causing the ram to be too far extended, all the time? Hopefully I?m doing something dumb that I just don?t remember.

There is no manufacturer or model number on the squeezer body. And I do have a full bunch of flat sets of various thickness.

I?ve looked briefly at the Cleaveland too youtube video, and although that reminded me of some things I?d forgotten, it didn?t help solve my problem.

So is there something internal that needs to be looked at? I'm not looking forward to taking it apart but can surely do that. And there are no indications of rust or sticking.

Thanks!

It doesn't have a button that limits the retract stroke, does it? One of mine (I have a tool buying problem) has a button just beneath the yoke that stops the ram from retracting all the way. I guess the idea is that it would be quicker to actuate but when it's engaged the gap is generally too small to get over an unsqueezed rivet, making it useless.

Post a picture if you can.

Found the problem

I had a longeron yoke installed in the squeezer, and although it has the same gap as the plain yoke, the base is not as tall, causing the ram to protrude into the gap. When I put the "standard" yoke in, the problem went away.

I guess the longeron yoke is designed for a shorter ram, and I'd either not noticed it before or had forgotten it.

While it's not helpful yet, once you get the squeezer operable, get an adjustable ram. Makes gap setting much faster.

Dave

Back