What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Detonation Margin 8.5 vs 9 Pistons?

steve murray

Well Known Member
Question for engine gurus.

I am having an engine built for RV10 and trying to decide on 8.5 vs 9 pistons. I plan to run mogas as much as possible and trying to understand how much more detonation margin I may have with 8.5 pistons with everything else being equal?

I would appreciate input from those more knowledgable than me... which should be just about everyonen

Steve

Mahlon's Advice

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=35765

If you split hairs on this - and say 100LL is needed for 9:1 then you could switch to mogas at altitude where the cylinder pressures are lower. Where ?, well that is another question. Above 2000 ft at standard temps, so at 6000ft cruise for most conditions? Hard to say precisely. Compression temps could be calculated using a polytropic process at .8 fill factor and get a better idea of where not to operate based on ambient temps. One would have to take some effort to define that envelope. Otherwise just use 100LL.

Maybe others haves some real experience.

Don't think you will get a definitive answer; it all depends. I have an IO-360 parallel valve with 9.5:1 pistons and run mogas from the right tank only. Take off and land left tank only. Always have to remember there are limitations on the right tank.
I read through the thread Bill linked, just now and years ago. No one mentioned timing. 20 degrees btdc my CHTs run cool, 25 degrees they were hot if I attempted to run ROP. Lean of peak was okay. I have settled on 23 degrees btdc. That's with mags. If you intend on electronic ignition I would advise to test carefully as the hotter spark effectively increases the timing.

Dave,

Thanks for the tip on electronic igntion's hotter spark effectively advancing the timing. I do plan to run dual electronic ignition via SDS system, so this is very pertinent.

After reading the referenced links to earlier posts, I may lean toward 8.5 as I want to enjoy the $ save of Mogas vs 100LL. I don't think the 10 extra HP for 9:1 vs 8.5:1 would give as much satisfaction as $20\hour less flying cost using Mogas.

Ross at SDS would certainly be willing to give you advice on your hope to run mogas using that system. Please post what you find.

For what it’s worth, I wish I had put in 9:1 pistons 10 years ago when I bought my engine. There isn’t enough savings to justify Mogas and all of the problems I’ve experienced with it. Especially since i run LOP everywhere.

You can always throttle back and lean out to get the same economy you might perceive with mogas, but you will also have the flexibility to bury your foot in it when you need to get a higher climb rate or faster speed.

There is no substitute for more power.

Last edited:
Dave,

Thanks for the tip on electronic igntion's hotter spark effectively advancing the timing. I do plan to run dual electronic ignition via SDS system, so this is very pertinent.

After reading the referenced links to earlier posts, I may lean toward 8.5 as I want to enjoy the $ save of Mogas vs 100LL. I don't think the 10 extra HP for 9:1 vs 8.5:1 would give as much satisfaction as $20\hour less flying cost using Mogas.

A spark is a spark and it's strength has no impact on timing. It either ignite the compressed air fuel mixture or it doesn't. Yes, a hotter spark will help light a mixture that doesn't want to be lit (i.e. too rich or too lean). However, this only avoids a misfire and does not impact timing, effective or actual.

Larry

Last edited:
If you're going with SDS, you can retard the timing slightly at high MAP (takeoff, climb near sea level) and still have it optimally advanced at typical cruise MAPs.

9 to 1 will give you a few more ponies and economy up high where most people cruise and spend most of their flight time.

If I was running mags or non-adjustable EI, I'd use 8.5 pistons with mogas. With programmable EI I'd opt for 9 to 1. unless I did almost all my flying below 4,000 MSL. This advice assumes 91 octane.

I ran 2000 or so gal of non ethenol 93 through the RV10 several years ago with 9.1 compression. Detonation was not a problem even with high ambient temp and high MAP. If I remember correctly I set the mag to 20 deg timing and adjusted the maximum available advance from 39 to about 35 which changed the entire advance curce on the electronic ignition. The problem I found was the lower reed vapor pressure even with "summer blend" was enough lower than av gas to cause vapor lock issue. Had to depend on my boost pump to keep the engine running in climb. If you design the fuel system so that there is less system restrictions it should work fine.

Last edited:
Just make sure you are realistic in the realities of Mog gas usage. I can run either, and think I have maybe run 2 tanks of Mog gas in 5 years.
I don't have fuel at my home airport, so if I want Mog gas I have to take seven 5 gal cans to the gas station and fill them - a major pain in the rear.
I have landed at just 1 or 2 airports that offer it at the pump.
If you are building a 10 then I assume your intention is cross country. Some areas of the country have plenty of it at the airport. Most do not, and flight planning to hit the airports that do have it takes away most of your advantages.
If your home field has it, then it might make a lot of sense. If not, I personally would not spend a lot of energy building around it.

I ran 2000 or so gal of non ethenol 93 through the RV10 several years ago with 9.1 compression. Detonation was not a problem even with high ambient temp and high MAP. If I remember correctly I set the mag to 20 deg timing and adjusted the maximum available advance from 39 to about 35 which changed the entire advance curce on the electronic ignition.

I'm not following here. You were running up to 35 degrees then at low MAP?

PA38112 brings up a good point about mogas. For most it will be a pain. Parking lot to my plane is only a hundred yards or so. Two three gallon cans is the limit. More gas or more distance or more stuff to carry is just too much. A 95 degree day will add to the misery.

PA38112 brings up a good point about mogas. For most it will be a pain. Parking lot to my plane is only a hundred yards or so. Two three gallon cans is the limit. More gas or more distance or more stuff to carry is just too much. A 95 degree day will add to the misery.

It can be a pain, yes. I have a 125 gallon stainless tank that I put a 12-volt pump on, and can carry it in the back of my pickup and lift it in/out with a chain hoist at the barn. I'm buying 91E10 locally for $3.41 that way. I did the 5-gallon jug thing as long as I could stand it.

Our O-360 with stock 8.5:1 compression runs quite well on 91 Mogas. I admit that I have burned mostly 100LL during its first 70 or so hours of life, but it has demonstrated good ability to operate on various mixes of mogas/100LL as well as pure mogas.

This past weekend provided an excellent opportunity to justify sticking with 8.5:1 compression. We were far from home at a very small airport with no airports within reasonable driving or flying distance. All was fine until we pulled up to the pumps and the airport operator couldn't get the 100LL pump to work. I had enough fuel to fly to the closest alternate that had 100LL, but not with legal VFR reserves. Had we not been able to get that 100LL fuel pump to work I would have been making a trip to the local gas station out on the road to get 91 octane Mogas.

While there is no substitute for power, there is no power unless one can find fuel to burn. Keeping the lower compression pistons keeps options open for me. In this part of the country there are a lot of miles between airports - being able to fuel with whatever gas is available is of critical importance.

BTW I've hauled lots of jerry cans of fuel to the airport. Luckily I can drive right up to the hangar. My last fill up of 100LL (at that remote airport referred to above, after we managed to beat the fuel pump into submission!) cost CAD$2.25/litre or about US$5.61/gal. My previous fill-up with 91 octane Mogas cost $1.35/litre or about US$3.37/gal. That equates to about CAD$20/hour cheaper fuel-specific operating costs to run Mogas. That's a significant savings, approaching 40% - not to be ignored.

Back