What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Furnace Creek (L06) runway status - March 2020

Maybe we can get the Military to do a "Catalina Special" on it and... Oh wait, then they would charge outrageous landing fees. Never mind. :rolleyes:

-Marc

Maybe we can get the Military to do a "Catalina Special" on it and... Oh wait, then they would charge outrageous landing fees. Never mind. :rolleyes:

-Marc

Speaking of Catalina, did they ever grind it flat? I landed there soon after the concrete redo and the surface was/is so uneven that my -6 got launched airborne a few times on rollout. And the taxiways are even worse.

National Park Fees

I drove through there a few years ago, and they charged me $20. With 1.6 million visitors each year, at that rate, they should have that $3 million in no time.

I bet, if it was the road into or out of there, it would be fixed very quickly.

well, last time I woz there all good, rwy condition and all...
Had my best flying buddy Jack along (cancer got him a few years ago :() and ate our last Alaskan salmon in the heat as we had just returned from Anchorage, thereby crossing one more off that famous bucket list ;)

Admit it woz flying that tired M20J 4148H, came in direct from KLAS... and the date woz 05/29/1996... yeah, as of last century :eek:

Recon Mission

I think we need a recon mission. And I think we should send Vlad there. He knows how to land any almost anything. I cant imagine this runway is worse than some of the stuff he has landed on.

I think we need a recon mission. And I think we should send Vlad there. He knows how to land any almost anything. I cant imagine this runway is worse than some of the stuff he has landed on.

Been to the Valley 5 times through the years. Last year runway wasn?t that bad. Look for loose gravel and bulging seams when backtaxi :)

Is Vlad a CFI? If not, maybe he should be?

Thinking about it for years. Too many roubles to divert from gas fund :)

Back