What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Line Fitting Interferes w/Oil Filter

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
Van's FWF plans call for a AN816-8D in the lower oil cooler port on the accessory case of my narrow deck IO-540. The AN816 is a straight fitting, and the port is the one that is just below and to the right of the oil filter.

My challenge is that when I install and hand tighten the hose provided in the FWF kit to go between the AN816 fitting and the oil cooler, the hose touches the oil filter.

I don't like that. Has anyone else seen this issue? If so, what was your solution? An AN823 45* fitting? That's about all I can come up with.

Kyle, the plans I have show a AN823-8D 45* fitting. You probably have an updated set of plans, but we know the 45* fitting works well. You can also get a 45* hose end on the hose to do the same thing.
Tom

I had the same issue on mine. I marked the hose end fitting where there was a slight outward flare on the crimp fitting and took the hose off and carefully ground the edge flared out so it was flush with the rest of the crimp body. That helped a lot and I found that once I got the filter screwed on a few threads, once the crimped edge of the filter was past the oil line crimp flare, it had had enough clearance. I also switched to a different filter manufacturer,,,,I THINK it was Tempest IIRC, and it fit a lot better. I thought about replacing the fitting to an angled one but did not want to buy a new hose for a longer one.

Back