What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cylinder borescopes

lllewis45

I know this topic has been raised in past, but has anyone recently purchased a borescope they feel is a good one? TIA.

I saw one used that hooks to an iPhone or pad, it?s a cheap one for 125 and I think it came from ATS. I saw it work and it has great pictures.

Depstech

I bought a depstech thru amazom for, like, $50. Dont remember the exact price. I used it to inspect the wing rivets. The head is small enough for a spark plug hole but not there yet in my build. It is wifi and i view the image on my ipad. Works well.

Do a Google search for Vividia Ablescope and you'll see an articulating scope that's pretty useful for cylinder inspection. They make a few versions, from rigid to flexible and semi-flexible from $200 to about $400. You'll find a number of videos showing the inspection of valves using the articulating feature.

Cheers,
Rusty

I second the

recommendation for Vividia products. I have a rigid version for cylinder inspections and like it.

Vividia Borescope on Amazon for $199

I've been looking at this one for awhile.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GY7C9ZW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ARYO9J9UQ3I8W

I have a Rigid borescope which works well for most things, but is useless for looking inside cylinders at valves. For that, I'm using a $15 dental camera I modified the case on to fit in spark plug holes. One down side is I have to have my laptop with me to use it to view but I can easily save the pictures. Due to inflexible nature, I is difficult to get a picture of an entire valve top so I had to split into uppper/lower to get the whole picture.

Here are a few pictures I took with it when I inspecting an exhaust valve recently.

LCQsAn.jpg

wflRQw.jpg

gKEdbp.jpg

Ug2Qgn.jpg

I have the Vividia, and although it works, I am going to keep looking. There are more than mega pixels to consider. The key limitation to it is optical, namely the local length. It is marginal at 3" but 2" or less and it is fuzzy. If someone was handy in optics and could change the focal length then it would be converted to an outstanding device for bore and valve inspection.

I suspect since the dental cameras are shorter focal length they make some good close up pictures.

Depstech? dual cam? Anyone tried?

I'm looking at the Depstech dual lens / cam borescopes. I'm thinking that with a side lens it would be possible to look at the valves relatively easily. The borescopes with a side lens are certainly cheaper than the Vividia VA-400 (like about 1/2). Anyone have any experience?

For example https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wat...pe+dual+mp&qid=1603145048&s=industrial&sr=1-5 (although the cameras are just 1.0 MP)

or

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-S...e+dual+mp&qid=1603145299&s=industrial&sr=1-28

vividia

I have the Vividia, and although it works, I am going to keep looking. There are more than mega pixels to consider. The key limitation to it is optical, namely the local length. It is marginal at 3" but 2" or less and it is fuzzy. If someone was handy in optics and could change the focal length then it would be converted to an outstanding device for bore and valve inspection.

I suspect since the dental cameras are shorter focal length they make some good close up pictures.
I'm with you on this - I don't know anything about photography, but I do know I would like the images to be better. If I move the piston to the bottom, and put the camera all the way down, I get a better image of the valves, but still not as good as a close up picture with my iphone. Seems that there is room for improvement. The borescopes with multiple cameras look interesting - not sure if they can look all the way back to the valves.

I still use my 'old school' Olympus rigid scope, I can't take pictures with it but the optics is far superior to any of the budget video scopes. I have a couple Vividia scopes but rarely pull them out. A really good quality video scope from Hawkeye or Olympus is going to cost you way more than the Vividia.

I bough a Vidida scope and am having trouble getting my Android tablet working with it. Have since tried two different tablets with 3 different recommended software packages. The image displayed is horizontal green lines with the image sort of shining through. Thought my scope may be bad but it works on my Windows laptop.

My experience with Android devices is nill. Is there something I might be missing? Vividia states that all Android devices will not work with the scope. I purchased a Digiland DL1023. Is there one that others have proven to work?

Back