What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Aileron Plans CD vs Paper mismatch

Well Known Member
I started on the aileron section today (21), and as I was making my way through the plans, I noticed on page 21-03 it calls for the builder to "Dimple the 0.098 [2.5mm] holes in the main ribs.

Looking at these ribs, there are no holes of the specified dimension. I see that on the same page, in Figure 2, it shows a number of holes that are to be dimpled at 120 degrees. Later, on Page 21-09, it shows the top and bottom aileron skin assemblies being riveted together.

I was a little unclear on the whole process, so I opened up the digital plans that came with my plans CD, and found that the Aileron section in the electronic plans is very much different from the paper plans that shipped with my wing kit. The paper copy is dated 2/23/12 "Revision 0", while the electronic copy is dated 7/24/14, also "Revision 0."

In the electronic plans, the first two pages of the paper plans are deleted and the rest renumbered, with the first page corresponding to the paper plans "21-04."

In addition, the parts called out in the paper plans are different than the electronic plans. The electronic plans show the aileron main ribs as single pieces, while the paper plans have these ribs separated into two parts that get blind riveted together at the end of aileron assembly.

The actuation brackets are completely different as well between the two.

The parts shipped with my kit are consistent with the paper plans (for the most part--I haven't done a complete run down of the section versus shipped parts yet, although my original inventory showed all parts listed as having arrived with the kit.

I am going to carefully confirm that all the parts I have match with the paper plans, and ignore the digital plans copy, I guess.

I am wondering if the -10 plans were edited and changed to reflect a new aileron assembly (possibly one related to the RV-14?) but that my kit, which shipped in March of 2016, still conformed to the old design.

My question to the group is, is that correct? Has Van's changed the aileron assembly on newer RV-10 kits to use RV-14 parts and techniques? Has anyone else run across this kind of thing? I'm concerned I'm missing something here, and I'm hesitant to proceed with the assembly until I confirm the paper plans are the ones I should be working to. I'm particularly concerned at this point because the paper plans call for dimpling holes that don't match the dimension listed, and the called-out rivets may not work properly in this location?

My digital plans still show the 2/23/2012 date. Does your plan show RV-10 in the legend at the bottom?

My vans RV-10 USB stick (less than 6 weeks ago) came with two sets of Instructions for the Wings.

One file named 'Section 21 Old Version' - is dated 7/24/2014 on Sheet 1.

The full RV-10 'Wing section' is dated 2/23/2012 on sheet 1 of Section 21

Obviously two versions, but are they mislabeled on the USB stick?

Since my ailerons are QB assembled I didn't look into it further. :)

I just re-checked, both versions start at sheet 1 with seemingly no missed sheet numbers.

Last edited:
My vans RV-10 USB stick (less than 6 weeks ago) came with two sets of Instructions for the Wings.

One file named 'Section 21 Old Version' - is dated 7/24/2014 on Sheet 1.

The full RV-10 'Wing section' is dated 2/23/2012 on sheet 1 of Section 21

Obviously two versions, but are they mislabeled on the USB stick?

Since my ailerons are QB assembled I didn't look into it further. :)

I just re-checked, both versions start at sheet 1 with seemingly no missed sheet numbers.

Sorry I should have been more clear...there are no missed page numbers in either of my plans sets, but the electronic plans omit the first two pages that are in the paper plans, which deal with building the main ribs and actuation brackets. The electronic plans assume that these parts come complete with the kit. In fact, the brackets depicted in the electronic plans look like they are probably powder coated steel whereas the paper plans have you build these from aluminum stampings. Also, the bracket doublers shown in the electronic plans are much larger and cover a greater area of the spar web than the ones in the paper plans.

Ailerons

It has been awhile since I did this section but the kit I received had the original RV-10 ailerons. The plans, however, were for the newer RV-14 ailerons. A call to Van's rectified the issue; they sent me the original RV-10 aileron plans...

From what they said, all the newer kits use the -14 style ailerons...

Thanks for the replies folks! I think it looks like I have the old style ailerons and will follow those instructions.

OK, now I am confused again. I found the following thread:http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=130335&highlight=rv-10+aileron+plans that discusses a similar issue and apparently the aluminum hinge parts and separated end ribs are part of the "new" ailerons...but the plans for the "new" ailerons are dated 2012, while the "old" plans are dated 2014.

In addition, there are some steps that are not specified in the "new" (2012) plans that are in the "old" (2014) plans, that are pretty important. To wit, nowhere in the "new" plans does it say to final-drill #30 the nose ribs to the spar, nor to final-drill #40 the nose skin and top and bottom skins to the spar.

These steps ought to be obvious, but the sequence of aileron construction is a bit confusing, and it is not at all clear when these steps should be done. It would make sense, for instance, to final drill the skins to the spar once they have all been clecoed together, and the "old" plans do mentions this, on page 21-4, but the "new" plans should have this on Page 21-07, but don't.

The concern would be to make sure the final drilling is done when everything is ready for its final fit, not earlier on in the process.

It is possible to figure out when these things should be done, but the plans are definitely not helpful in this regard.

I reviewed the RV-14 aileron plans (section 22) and they match closely the "new" RV-10 aileron plans (Section 21), including the lack of guidance as to when to final drill the skins and spar.

Still can't figure out why my new RV-10 plans are dated 2012, when the CD plans are dated 2014, and the RV-14 aileron plans were updated in 2015 (page 8 was modified and is appropriately dated as found here: http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-14/RV-14_22.pdf)

In addition, there are some steps that are not specified in the "new" (2012) plans that are in the "old" (2014) plans, that are pretty important. To wit, nowhere in the "new" plans does it say to final-drill #30 the nose ribs to the spar, nor to final-drill #40 the nose skin and top and bottom skins to the spar.

These steps ought to be obvious, but the sequence of aileron construction is a bit confusing, and it is not at all clear when these steps should be done.

Your confusion is because of the different design philosophy of the two airplanes.
The majority of the holes punched in parts for the RV-14 are punched to final size, so when you transition into building ailerons that are technically RV-14 ailerons, you wont see any direction to do any final drilling. You can always check for your self. If a rivet will insert into a hole before any final drilling is done, it indicates the hole is already to final size.

Interesting; thanks for the reply, Scott!

Does this mean for the RV-10 Ailerons, that these holes do not need to be final-drilled at all?

If so, then following the plans directly is correct, I guess. It is a bit of a shift of gears from the RV-10 plans/construction philosophy, as you suggest.

If these parts are punched to final size, I'd suggest a plans update for the RV-10 to add verbiage at the beginning of the section (any section that takes advantage of RV-14-style parts) indicating that this is already complete at the factory.

Back